The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What's wrong with being a Social Justice Warrior (SJW)?

Since when has fighting against racism, Islamophobia, sexism, inequality, ingrained privilege and offensive/hateful speech been a bad thing?

Why is SJW used a pejorative?

Yes, violence in protest is of course wrong, but I have rarely seen most so-called SJWs use those methods.

So what's wrong with being an SJW?

Scroll to see replies

If I saw someone say the word "black" regardless of context and call them out for being racist to make myself look good even though I don't really care about racism (specifically against black people), I think I would qualify for being an SJW.

Maybe I got the wrong definition, I don't know.
That must be the third thread today on that topic. Seems like since A-levels results are out you guys are now preparing for student life, aren't you? A fresh quota of SJW's and their fearsome opponents is on its way!
(edited 7 years ago)
An SJW fights for these causes overzealously, dishonestly, and often hypocritically. They have no interest in reasonable discussion or debate. These people see themselves as fighting for the 'greater good' and are willing to do quite despicable things if it means spreading their message and silencing their opponents.

An SJW isn't simply a progressive. They are dangerously hypocritical, regressive ideologues who lie, bully and play victim while signalling virtue. They force their puritanical views on others with no regard for their freedoms as individuals. In fact, individuality is a foreign concept to the SJW who must always see everything in terms of groups, systems and identity politics. They will criticise racists and sexists for judging people by skin colour and gender, but they will also judge people by skin colour and gender.

That's what's wrong with being an SJW.
Reply 4
I know right? What's wrong with nurturing a culture of pervasive, insidious political correctness, in which a Noble Prize winning cancer researcher can be put out of a job for a misinterpreted joke, an accomplished NASA scientist can be relentlessly hounded for a barely risque shirt, and countless rapes can be covered up because the perpetrators are the wrong colour?
There's nothing wrong with being against racism or homophobia, but it gets infuriating when it gets to the point where people have to filter every single thing they say to avoid offending some group over the smallest thing
I dunno, brah.
(edited 7 years ago)
They piss me off cause most of them deserve a good punch to the face but are too soft to accept it
SJWs are a cancer on the internet.

They do not commit to fair, proper or just debate. They do not back up their arguments with facts/stats/figures. They simply cry 'bigot', 'islamophobe', 'misogynist', 'racist', etc etc.

Labeling perfectly respectable opinions (which are often backed up by facts) as a phobia is the most cowardly way of arguing.
Original post by Dandaman1
An SJW fights for these causes overzealously, dishonestly, and often hypocritically. They have no interest in reasonable discussion or debate. These people see themselves as fighting for the 'greater good' and are willing to do quite despicable things if it means spreading their message and silencing their opponents.

An SJW isn't simply a progressive. They are dangerously hypocritical, regressive ideologues who lie, bully and play victim while signalling virtue. They force their puritanical views on others with no regard for their freedoms as individuals. In fact, individuality is a foreign concept to the SJW who must always see everything in terms of groups, systems and identity politics. They will criticise racists and sexists for judging people by skin colour and gender, but they will also judge people by skin colour and gender.

That's what's wrong with being an SJW.

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I know right? What's wrong with nurturing a culture of pervasive, insidious political correctness, in which a Noble Prize winning cancer researcher can be put out of a job for a misinterpreted joke, an accomplished NASA scientist can be relentlessly hounded for a barely risque shirt, and countless rapes can be covered up because the perpetrators are the wrong colour?

I was going to answer but I see you guys have it boxed off. Spot on.
I would only add that to see the sjw madness that is expanding in campuses across the western world check out Dave's regressive news each Tuesday on his YT channel , "computing forever" and see the hundreds of emails he's receiving each week from students amazed and disgusted by what they are seeing and having to partake in, but are too frightened to speak out against for the bullying reprisals they would face.
It's funny how SJWs claim amongst other things to champion diversity, but funny enough not diversity of opinion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Iridocyclitis
Since when has fighting against racism, Islamophobia, sexism, inequality, ingrained privilege and offensive/hateful speech been a bad thing?

Yes, violence in protest is of course wrong, but I have rarely seen most so-called SJWs use those methods.

I don't get it either, there are far worse things in the world to be and 90% of SJW's have their heart in roughly the right place
Cos they defend causes that are completely opposed to each like homosexuals AND muslims and yet admonish groups like BNP/UKIP which act in their personal interest. They serve no purpose other than participating to the massive circle jerk that is the humanities department of most ex-polytechnics.
Reply 12
Because SJW is sexism with a different name
Reply 13
Original post by narco
Because SJW is sexism with a different name

its stupid most use it as an excuse to hate men and they do not do fenemism any
good
Reply 14
Nothing. Just a small group of idiots.

The vast majority of liberals arent SJWs.

The true cancer is the "internet right wing" idiots. They're like a disease, and one prominent feature of them is claiming that SJWs exist in large numbers.
Rather a SJW than a internet right wing tough guy that cries freedom of speech whenever people question husband or her disgusting views.
Original post by Iridocyclitis

One of the main problems with SJWs is that they tend to see everything as groups rather than individuals.
Original post by kekophobia
One of the main problems with SJWs is that they tend to see everything as groups rather than individuals.

Ironic. "Librards" "SJWs" is not grouping people into boxes?
There is a difference between campaigning for issues that genuinely matter such as the Trump travel ban, islamophobia and the rights of black people being killed by white police officers but some people have taken the term when they get offended over minor things, I read somewhere that people were offended because bandages (plasters) didn't come in a range of skin tones, I wasn't even aware they were supposed to blend in? Or who uses what colour emoji on iphone when talking about people.

That's just my view though

Latest

Trending

Trending