The Student Room Group

I'm a ****ing failure

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
And you managed to pull it out with a BBB. Trust me your family is not disappointed in you, if that's what you think. The fact you managed to pull through - that says a lot. Wish you the best of luck :smile:

With my initial A level results everyone was really understanding but with my retake results idk..my mum was proud but my siblings were just like how could you let that lse offer slip away. And the worst thing is that it was my attitude towards my studies that led to me achieving 3B's. These past 3 years have made me so apathetic towards my studies. I have no interest in them whatsoever. The night before my exam I just browsed snapchat, instagram, twitter and fb and went to sleep. Did no revision whatsoever. And now when I look back at that I feel so angry with myself. I hate myself. It also doesn't help when my siblings who consist of a doctor, dentist, lawyer and optician look at me with absolute pity as if I'm a lost failure.
I'm such a disappointment. It literally just hit me how much of a ****ing failure I am.
My GCSE's were amazing, I achieved 10A*'s and genuinely thought I was on track for a solid career in dentistry, medicine etc (I'm asian). During my A levels a mixture of complacency and extenuating circumstances led to me achieving abysmal grades (CDE). So this year I resat my A levels and got an offer from LSE and I was over the moon. I thought yaay, finally I can redeem myself. Then came my A level results. I achieved BBB so I was waaaay off the AAA entry requirements. The look on my friends and families face said it all really.
Through clearing I managed to get a place at Aston uni. So now I'm 19 and feel like such a failure. I literally start randomly crying when I think about what I could of had and what my ****ing lazy ass has actually led to me achieving. I'm just so tired. I can't cope. I hate myself.

No. No no no. Some people would do anything to be in your situation. I know your personal goals - to get AAA, to be accepted into LSE - was not met, but that doesn't define you as a failure. Aston is a pretty decent university. So there you go, a reason to be proud of yourself. The past is the past and you can't do anything about it now. Forgive yourself and focus on your promising future in Aston. :smile:

I wish you the best.
Dude, you could always just stick with the university you've got and then apply to do a Masters' at the university that you want to go to.
Original post by Zaaki
Maths, chemistry, eco and physics. I've had a really **** year i had no motivation, stuff going on at home and i didnt even want to get into my first choice uni. My attendence was **** i was so lazy. Doing maths but being 30k+ in debt seems like the god damn motivation i need. But my job opportunities look bad with **** a levels so i may try to re do them during a placement year if i find one if its not too much work or of i even can. **** any spelling mistakes and punctuation

Are you thinking of moving universities?

If not I don't think you should redo A levels.
I think you should do some GCSEs - no joke.
Rack up a couple A*s in GCSEs - because why not?
I'm such a disappointment. It literally just hit me how much of a ****ing failure I am.
My GCSE's were amazing, I achieved 10A*'s and genuinely thought I was on track for a solid career in dentistry, medicine etc (I'm asian). During my A levels a mixture of complacency and extenuating circumstances led to me achieving abysmal grades (CDE). So this year I resat my A levels and got an offer from LSE and I was over the moon. I thought yaay, finally I can redeem myself. Then came my A level results. I achieved BBB so I was waaaay off the AAA entry requirements. The look on my friends and families face said it all really.
Through clearing I managed to get a place at Aston uni. So now I'm 19 and feel like such a failure. I literally start randomly crying when I think about what I could of had and what my ****ing lazy ass has actually led to me achieving. I'm just so tired. I can't cope. I hate myself.

I was going to say resit, but i see you did.
Resit again, all this failure is too much of a pity party. You arent a failure by a long shot, but tougher parts of life are learning how to deal with setbacks.

Sit them again if Aston isn't good enough for you or focus on getting a first if you are going to Aston. You havent got cancer, you havent lost your leg, you are quite bright. You still have plenty of time, but hating and beating up on yourself doesnt solve anything.

I note you said your Dad got cancer, did you apply for mitigating circs? You have plenty of time to make things right.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
No point looking back since you can't change what's already happened. The best thing you can do now is put 100% of your effort into your studies at university now. Achieve what you want to achieve and, obviously, have the time of your life. Just keep moving forward bro you're alright :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
I was going to say resit, but i see you did.
Resit again, all this failure is too much of a pity party. You arent a failure by a long shot, but tougher parts of life are learning how to deal with setbacks.

Sit them again if Aston isn't good enough for you or focus on getting a first if you are going to Aston. You havent got cancer, you havent lost your leg, you are quite bright. You still have plenty of time, but hating and beating up on yourself doesnt solve anything.

I note you said your Dad got cancer, did you apply for mitigating circs? You have plenty of time to make things right.

My mitigating cicumstances got me the offer at lse (they hardly ever consider resits) and then like the failure I am, I missed the offer so went into clearing for a second time fml

what course for lse
My mitigating cicumstances got me the offer at lse (they hardly ever consider resits) and then like the failure I am, I missed the offer so went into clearing for a second time fml

Have a wallow for a bit then decide what you wnat to do. get to Aston and get a good degree work hard on your extra currics.

Beating yourself up gets dull. Just make sure you do well. You have 3 years.
The alternative is to resit.
Lol my post must have gone straight over your head. I'm venting at the fact that I feel worthless because I failed to realise my full potential due to my laziness
p.s. I said "I'm asian" at the medicine/dentistry bit because thats what is stereotypically expected in asian families when you have muliple A*'s at GCSE

Your parents don't want anything different for you, they just want you to be successful. If you were being lazy i would think about why you're doing what you are doing and who for.

Many Asian parents are stuck in the old time fantasy of wanting their kids to become doctors. and no doubt all these asian drama shows that your parents are probably watching on the daily are not going to help. (assuming you're Indian/Pakistani or something) hardly any of it stands true today.
Don't beat yourself up on this one. You're only 19 years old and already putting too much pressure on yourself.

I know it's probably more pressure because of your background and because of your family and friends' reaction but 3 B's at an A Level is great!

It sounds to me that you've became complacent or you think that you've became complacent but you have university and the rest of your life to make use of your abilities and achieve.

The main thing, as cliché as it sounds, is that you're happy. *

Yeah pretty much. Just don't take your hatred out on the public ffs, they have enough problems as it is.
Original post by DanielleT192
Don't beat yourself up on this one. You're only 19 years old and already putting too much pressure on yourself.

I know it's probably more pressure because of your background and because of your family and friends' reaction but 3 B's at an A Level is great!

It sounds to me that you've became complacent or you think that you've became complacent but you have university and the rest of your life to make use of your abilities and achieve.

The main thing, as cliché as it sounds, is that you're happy. *

Lol I'm not happy. Far from it. I think about all the things that I've done wrong like being lazy, my dads death and wasting time on the wrong people and just break down. Knowing that I had an offer from a top uni and only managed to get into a uni which isn't even a russell group uni stings so bad. Like what if I end up unemployed? I'm such a **** up
Lol I'm not happy. Far from it. I think about all the things that I've done wrong like being lazy, my dads death and wasting time on the wrong people and just break down. Knowing that I had an offer from a top uni and only managed to get into a uni which isn't even a russell group uni stings so bad. Like what if I end up unemployed? I'm such a **** up

Lol, calm down. You're not going to end up unemployed just because you're going to Aston, jeez.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Lol, calm down. You're not going to end up unemployed just because you're going to Aston, jeez.

Posted from TSR Mobile

On paper an LSE graduate who has made use of the opportunities that comes with studying at a top, target uni is far more attractive/employable than a graduate from non target aston.
On paper an LSE graduate who has made use of the opportunities that comes with studying at a top, target uni is far more attractive/employable than a graduate from non target aston.

You're not comparing apples to apples. The gunner at Aston, who heads up societies, has professors rave about him, is fully networked into the city by reaching out to as many people as possible and achieves a strong first, is also a very attractive candidate.

There are no free lunches.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You shouldn't beat yourself up about that though. What you done at that point were what you put first at the time. Everyone's priorities can chop and change depending on the circumstance.

You can't change what has happened. IMO the grades you got were great but if you're not happy where you're at, maybe you should speak to a student adviser on the options you have or just to make you feel a bit better on the uni?

Haha it's not end of the world and I'm sure you'll be where you want to be.*
Reply 77
You can consider transferring universities after your first year if you're not happy there (or if you want to go to a more prestigious RG uni), that's what I did for those reasons.
Original post by eden3
You can consider transferring universities after your first year if you're not happy there (or if you want to go to a more prestigious RG uni), that's what I did for those reasons.

How did you go about that? Which uni did you transfer to? Also what course? Thanks
Reply 79
How did you go about that? Which uni did you transfer to? Also what course? Thanks

I would prefer to discuss this over PM's if that is okay with you? :smile:

I promise not to reveal your identity to anyone but if you don't want to I understand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending