The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Please help an Indian applicant!

The UCL website states that Indians are required to have 95%(CBSE board exams) or above while applying to courses in the Mathematical and Physical Sciences department. Unfortunately, I have an overall percentage of only 94.8%. ( which translates to one mark less) does this mean my application will be rejected right away? Or will it be considered? Please help
(edited 7 years ago)
It will be considered. A coursemate of mine (for civil engineering) did the CBSE and had 94.6%; got accepted despite it.

Are you a gap year applicant?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by theonetruequeen
It will be considered. A coursemate of mine (for civil engineering) did the CBSE and had 94.6%; got accepted despite it.

Are you a gap year applicant?

Thank you so much for replying.
Yes, I'm a gap year applicant. But I'm worried about the fact that I will be applying for the BSc Program in mathematics, which is more competitive than the Engineering Program. Any suggestions on what to do?
Original post by mahindar25
Thank you so much for replying.
Yes, I'm a gap year applicant. But I'm worried about the fact that I will be applying for the BSc Program in mathematics, which is more competitive than the Engineering Program. Any suggestions on what to do?

That makes it more complicated, the fact that you're on a gap year. They might reject you right away. In his case, since he missed his conditions on a conditional offer, they considered it, but they might not for you.

My suggestion is apply to UCL anyway as one of the five UCAS choices but not keep your hopes up. You can look at places like King's or Edinburgh as alternatives, both of which have great maths programs if I recall correctly.

Otherwise, if you're applying to the US as well, I suggest you do the AP exams next May and get someone to predict you grades for those. You can cite them on your UCAS application. But I don't know anyone who's used them to get offers while on a gap year so it's a risk.

Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you anyways! I applied for entry this year only 10 days before the international deadline, so I really didn't have a chance. Also, do colleges like LSE and Imperial also overlook gap year students?
Thank you anyways! I applied for entry this year only 10 days before the international deadline, so I really didn't have a chance. Also, do colleges like LSE and Imperial also overlook gap year students?
Fair enough. They don't overlook you per se, it's just that if you have achieved grades already lower than your requirement, you really don't stand much of a chance. If it's predicted grades, there's a benefit of doubt - but with achieved grades there isn't. Thus unless you're retaking your exams (which I don't think is possible in the CBSE?) a gap year application to LSE/Imperial/UCL is a risk.
Reply 6
Original post by theonetruequeen
Fair enough. They don't overlook you per se, it's just that if you have achieved grades already lower than your requirement, you really don't stand much of a chance. If it's predicted grades, there's a benefit of doubt - but with achieved grades there isn't. Thus unless you're retaking your exams (which I don't think is possible in the CBSE?) a gap year application to LSE/Imperial/UCL is a risk.

I sent an email to the admissions office at UCL regarding this issue. I was told that gap year applicants are not at any sort of disadvantage. And, I've heard of many applicants who apply during their gap year. One of the reasons is that they wanted to be more mature when they enter college.
I sent an email to the admissions office at UCL regarding this issue. I was told that gap year applicants are not at any sort of disadvantage. And, I've heard of many applicants who apply during their gap year. One of the reasons is that they wanted to be more mature when they enter college.

That's not the problem; it's your grades. You won't be improving them as you're on a gap year, so UCL might reject you straightaway.
Reply 8
So you're telling me 94.8% is not enough?
So you're telling me 94.8% is not enough?

It's not if the entry requirements are 95% and there's no chance you'll be improving your marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending