The Student Room Group

Home tuition fee status elegibility

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes!
I'm going into my last year of school at a boarding school in England.
I have a British passport but have lived oversees most of my life and have only started living in England since I joined the boarding school at the start of year 10 (3 years ago). Since then, I have been living with my Aunt (when i'm not at school) who is a UK resident and who is classified as my guardian for the school. However, I have gone back to my fammily oversees for the big holidays such as Easter and Summer.
Will this mean that I am ellegible for home student rates, or will I have to pay oversees rates?
And how will the universities check?
All help is appreciated :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Home student rates.
Reply 2
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Home student rates.

So it doesn't matter that i'm living in the UK for full time education?(the boarding school)
Original post by 1209ll
So it doesn't matter that i'm living in the UK for full time education?(the boarding school)

You need to have lived in the UK for at least 3 years and have permanent residence or a UK passport so you're all set

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies that's the website you can check it on. It's a government website so it's reliable :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by kamilla_
You need to have lived in the UK for at least 3 years and have permanent residence or a UK passport so you're all set

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies that's the website you can check it on. It's a government website so it's reliable :smile:

Thanks alot! My only worry is that I don't know if what i'm doing is considered living in the UK since i'm living in a boarding school most of the time. I'm also spending more time with my familly overseas than with my Aunt living in the UK
Original post by 1209ll
Thanks alot! My only worry is that I don't know if what i'm doing is considered living in the UK since i'm living in a boarding school most of the time. I'm also spending more time with my familly overseas than with my Aunt living in the UK

I definitely is considered 'living' so don't worry and for the holiday part I think you don't have to worry about it since it mainly applies if you're here on visa or permanent residence and left the country for over 6 months
Original post by 1209ll

Absolutely not.
Reply 7
Actually, coming to the UK mainly for educational purposes, will probably disqualify you from any SF funding. Education does not count as "ordinary residence" under the criteria set by SF. You cannot build up years of qualifying residence if your sole or main reason for coming to the UK was for your education.

Phone SF and check, but this has been the case for many years now. Citizenship, nationality, passport etc are all irrelevant. It is years of "ordinary residence" in the UK which are the sole factor (unless you are the child of a migrant worker etc).*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending