The Student Room Group

Should i retake? Im so lost

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Applepiex3
I researched a little and AQA maths have it so easy with no coursework or comprehensions :| But perhaps i should stick to the same exam board this year :biggrin:

Thank you so much again dude!! I will contact my old school about that :smile:

No problem :smile:

I agree, you should stick to the same exam board since you're used to that style of exam questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
We are in the same retake boat! :biggrin:

I want to start revising early and volunteer at the same time from September since it is possible/ doable rather than volunteer and then study when exams are close. By then I would have forgotten everything (rather than atm I still know a little bit despite summer holidays). It is also because I don't want to take any risks this year, I've learnt my lesson :|

I think another good idea is to just study now until when the kids actually have holidays and then during those term breaks, volunteer; since most care homes and hospitals don't get many older volunteers around that time (most are busy revising). Just a suggestion tho! :smile:

hi guys, how does volunteering help your uni application? is it bc it gives you things to talk about in your ps?
I researched a little and AQA maths have it so easy with no coursework or comprehensions :| But perhaps i should stick to the same exam board this year :biggrin:

Thank you so much again dude!! I will contact my old school about that :smile:

Check your PM
I would REALLY want to retake Year 13 (BCD at A-level despite ABB predicted, check my thread), but the problem is that my school does not allow retakers. I honestly doubt I could do it in a gap year as I simply need support, and there's no way I could get it other than expensively through private tuition. How can i possibly not forget exams/exams structure if there will be nobody there to help me or at least mark the papers and give feedback?

I am also fearful about how doing a legacy A level might disadvantage me compared to those doing reformed A levels next year.
Original post by naomi288
I was in your position last year where I achieved BBD A-levels. This was enough to get into uni but not one of my desired choices.

Best decision of my life ever retaking year 13. I now have a level grades of A*AB with my D grade jumping up to an A grade this year. Now I have a place at a Russell group uni which was the main reason why I chose to retake.

I retook my year back at the same sixth form as they let me in but your sixth form/college should still support you in your UCAS application as an external candidate.

So yes retaking sounds like a wise decision. No point going to uni doing a course you're not happy with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I was meant to quote you. How did you get your school to allow you to take another year?

Or does anyone know how to find a list of colleges that allow it? I was told that 'no one would take me because I completed 3 Alevels/Level 3 education so we don't get funding for you'

This is devastating. Is there any possibility of them taking me in? They even refused payment.
Perhaps call local colleges? Would that work?
So my alevel results were not what I expected and I dropped from predicted ABB to A*DE
I was hoping to study computer science at a good uni this year but I dont think thats possible now

Should i retake? Or should i keep trying in clearing? I have been made an offer with a uni but Its not where I want to go and its not the exact course i want to do.

And where am I supposed to get ucas help from next year if I want to retake as an external candidate? Pls help I am so lost

Hey Applepiex3, that works out as 220 UCAS Points, which would is very close to what we would normally ask for to enter our Computer Science degree: http://www.glyndwr.ac.uk/en/Undergraduatecourses/ComputerScience/.

There is still time to visit Universities, look at courses and speak to programme leaders - it might be that there is a hidden gem out there that is just right for you!

If you did want to re-take your A Levels, then that is very much your choice. I would imaging though that wherever you re-took the course would help you with going through UCAS again - otherwise you would still apply through UCAS but as an 'individual' as opposed to 'from a school or college'. There won't be much different in what you see and do compared to this year.

Dave (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)
Original post by Southeastern1
I would REALLY want to retake Year 13 (BCD at A-level despite ABB predicted, check my thread), but the problem is that my school does not allow retakers. I honestly doubt I could do it in a gap year as I simply need support, and there's no way I could get it other than expensively through private tuition. How can i possibly not forget exams/exams structure if there will be nobody there to help me or at least mark the papers and give feedback?

I am also fearful about how doing a legacy A level might disadvantage me compared to those doing reformed A levels next year.

I was really worried about this as well but there is still time for you to retake the old papers next year.

My school doesn't allow a whole year retake year 13 at school either but I am cheating my way around and applying as an external candidate; that is literally the only cheapest way.

Some colleges take the students in to retake A levels but for two years (and that is too long). There is something called "one year a levels" which you can consider.

Private tuition will cost you around £7,700-£8,400 with UCAS support. If you apply as an external candidate to your old school using term "cash-in" you will only need to pay around £20 for each paper; you will then also need to ask your sixth form coordinator to help you reapply through UCAS.
Original post by Southeastern1
Sorry I was meant to quote you. How did you get your school to allow you to take another year?

Or does anyone know how to find a list of colleges that allow it? I was told that 'no one would take me because I completed 3 Alevels/Level 3 education so we don't get funding for you'

This is devastating. Is there any possibility of them taking me in? They even refused payment.
Perhaps call local colleges? Would that work?

My school doesn't usually accept y13 retakes but there was a few of us who asked to be taken back in. Possibly it was luck for me as it was the first time they had ever allowed it due to funding reasons although I was told I had be a full time student resitting all three of my a levels.

I can understand that due to the new a level reforms, it might be harder to accept you as a resitter studying under the old spec. Teaching will all be under the new reforms spec.

Definitely try ringing local colleges up because they could accept you. I knew a few girls who were the year above me at my school and they weren't allowed back into sixth form to retake (as you can see, I was lucky I was allowed back in the following year). However, they contacted a local college and were allowed to resit their exams there as well as attending the lessons. As a result, they ended up getting the grades they needed for a prestigious university.

Anyways good luck and I hope you find somewhere that accepts you. If not then I guess resitting as an external candidate is the only option. Just remember if you work hard, you'll get the grades even without the teacher's support!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was really worried about this as well but there is still time for you to retake the old papers next year.

My school doesn't allow a whole year retake year 13 at school either but I am cheating my way around and applying as an external candidate; that is literally the only cheapest way.

Some colleges take the students in to retake A levels but for two years (and that is too long). There is something called "one year a levels" which you can consider.

Private tuition will cost you around £7,700-£8,400 with UCAS support. If you apply as an external candidate to your old school using term "cash-in" you will only need to pay around £20 for each paper; you will then also need to ask your sixth form coordinator to help you reapply through UCAS.

Teach yourself tbh. I would be very wary about switching exam boards because you may have to learn new material. Wont your old school give you any support at all? Your other option if I jhavent metioned it is your course plus a foundation year.

Quick Reply

Latest