The Student Room Group

Can I apply for an ABB course if I'm predicted BBB?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emma:-)
You could always apply for the one uni that requires ABB. Theres no harm i suppose. I would only apply for the one though, as you dont want to apply too high and not get your offers.
It may be worth contacting the uni you are interested in though to see what they say (not at the minute though, they may be swamped with calls/emails, but at a later date).
And good luck with the remarks.

My aspirational uni atm (Nottingham) wants ABB for English and French. My backup uni (Glasgow) wants AAB-BBB (hopefully they'll give me BBB since I come from a bad school). I'm looking at Swansea and Bournemouth too..

Original post by _bob_
from queen mary, royal holloway, kings college,ucl and Hertfordshire

That's great!

Original post by Unknown598
You can apply, as I got offers that were ABB-BBB even though my predicted grades were CCC. I've now got into UEA and start this September.

What course was it?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
My aspirational uni atm (Nottingham) wants ABB for English and French. My backup uni (Glasgow) wants AAB-BBB (hopefully they'll give me BBB since I come from a bad school). I'm looking at Swansea and Bournemouth too..

That's great!

What course was it?

Id apply for those then, and see how it goes. Then whatever other unis you choose, maybe some that require BBB as back up, just in case.
What course was it?

Economics and Politics
My course is English (which is fairly competitive) and the unis I'm looking at are Nottingham/Glasgow. Well done for getting into Cardiff too! :biggrin:

My course is English language :smile: thank you!
there is always clearing if worst comes to worse so you should always apply to the aspirational unis
Original post by neal95
Who dares wins. My mate who did btec business and had a c at maths was told not to apply to ucl for accounting and management or something to that effect, and that he should instead not take another year and apply for ucl. He got in, I was encouraged to go to Birmingham city uni, took a year out, got into Sheffield. Your personal tutors definitely mean well (and mine later helped me out for my Ucas reference in November before last) but it's in their interests to encourage you to go to uni. To them it Dosent matter what you do after you leave college/sixth form, your just a stat that is published. Use your own judgement and stand your ground if you really want to apply to a certain uni, but do be respectful and consider their advice to

How much did you improve by in your gap year though? I did shocking and got CCC and am not sure if I should do a year out or not as many people are saying employers only accept first sittings anyway so there would be no point in going to a better uni. Also how did you go about the exams? Were you a private candidate?
Many thanks
Original post by TrojanH
At AS I got AAC and was predicted ABB.

Jeez, you got predicted down a subject?! That's harsh.
Original post by alexp98
How much did you improve by in your gap year though? I did shocking and got CCC and am not sure if I should do a year out or not as many people are saying employers only accept first sittings anyway so there would be no point in going to a better uni. Also how did you go about the exams? Were you a private candidate?
Many thanks

I only improved by 2 grades, but it was enough to get me into a much better uni. In fact, a lot of grad schemes have removed Ucas point requirements, including some law firms and accountancy firms, and Those that do request first sittings only can often be pretty flexible. It's definitely worth it for me, because having been to many law events and programmes etc that help you get a career in law, I have been told that I wouldn't have been there if they didn't believe I had the Potential to get a training contract. There is a lot of routes in and you can easily show your worth through other ways than academics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Jeez, you got predicted down a subject?! That's harsh.

Yeah some schools do it.

Original post by Emma:-)
Id apply for those then, and see how it goes. Then whatever other unis you choose, maybe some that require BBB as back up, just in case.

I was thinking applying for 2 ABB unis, 2 BBBs and one lower than BBC..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending