The Student Room Group

How does funding work with a foundation year+masters degree?

Some have said that student finance covers 4 years. Others have said it just covers your degree (which is usually a max of 4 years unless you're doing medicine or dentistry which I'm told is different?)

But if I accept my offer for a foundation year leading onto a MEng degree, it'd be a total of 5 years in uni. Would I still receive funding (9k a year + maintenance) throughout the degree? I've asked my uni but apparently they don't know either.
You get length of course + 1 - previous years study.
Original post by Tiger Rag
You get length of course + 1 - previous years study.

I heard about that but I'm still confused? Would this count as a 5 year course? Or 4 years + 1 of previous study (meaning no funding for repeats).

Plus would I now have to update student finance? I got changed from the regular degree to the integrated foundation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by lucabrasi98
I heard about that but I'm still confused? Would this count as a 5 year course? Or 4 years + 1 of previous study (meaning no funding for repeats).

Plus would I now have to update student finance? I got changed from the regular degree to the integrated foundation.

Check with your uni - it depends how the course is organised.

If the MEng is essentially a four year course leading to an undergraduate Masters with a Foundation year at the start, then you will get Tuition Fee Loans and Maintenance Loans for all 5 years. If it's an undergrad degree with integrated Foundation year, followed by a stand-alone 1 year postgrad Masters, then you would get Tuition Fee Loans and Maintenance Loans for the first 4 years, with the maximum £10,000 Postgraduate Loan for the final Masters year.
Reply 4
I got five years of funding? So I really don't know. Give student finance a ring :smile:
I've just entered year 1 of a foundation + Meng, and I expect to have funding all the way through. as klix said its related to your course length (which in my case will be 5)
Reply 6
Original post by vlb206
I got five years of funding? So I really don't know. Give student finance a ring :smile:

Did this include tuition fee+grant+maintenance loan for all 5 years?
Reply 7
Original post by Recont
Did this include tuition fee+grant+maintenance loan for all 5 years?

There's no grant any more, but other than that, yes that would be the case.
Reply 8
Original post by Klix88
There's no grant any more, but other than that, yes that would be the case.

Applied for undergraduate loan with integrated masters 20 min back and got option of maintenance loan and household income grant.
Reply 9
Original post by Recont
Applied for undergraduate loan with integrated masters 20 min back and got option of maintenance loan and household income grant.

Not the same as the SF England Maintenance Grant then I'm guessing, as they have been abolished. But yes, in any case, yes, the same funding would apply for all years of the course.
Reply 10
Original post by Klix88
Not the same as the SF England Maintenance Grant then I'm guessing, as they have been abolished. But yes, in any case, yes, the same funding would apply for all years of the course.

Maintenance grant-that is the one. It is calculated from household income.
Reply 11
Original post by Recont
Maintenance grant-that is the one. It is calculated from household income.

Maintenance Grants are no longer being given to new students (although continuing students still get them). The Maintenance Loan has been increased instead and that consists of a minimum amount which everyone gets, which can be topped up with an income-assessed amount. However it is all now in the form of a repayable loan, instead of partly being a non-repayable grant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending