The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Accomodation Drama

So, accomodation email arrived today. Parkwood. :frown:
Anyone else gutted about their offer? I really don't think I'm prepared to pay £4867.59 to live somewhere I don't want to be, but I don't live in Canterbury, I've never been before, so wouldn't know where to begin looking for an alternative.
(*Whinewhinewhine* I knoooow, but damn, I was excited and now I'm just feeling stressed out...)
Anyone know a reliable student flat company?

Scroll to see replies

I understand your disappointment but my brother was in Parkwood last year and it was great. He had friends on campus who had far worse accommodation. He has made really good friends from his flat and the other flats below, several of whom he will be sharing a house with this year. In fact my youngest brother has plans to go for Parkwood if he goes to Kent. What is it about Parkwood that you don't like?
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
When my brother wakes up I'll ask him who he got his house through
Original post by rhiannon277
What is it about Parkwood that you don't like?

It's the furthest away from campus, I really didn't want to trek through a park everyday, especially at night. It just seems really cut off. The room isn't ensuite, and it all just looks old and forgotten and ugly tbh,
Compared to the nice new building, it just doesn't seem worth the money. Before you, I'd heard nothing good about it :s-smilie:
(If anyone wanted Parkwood and is looking forward to going then that's great though, sorry fr venting :colondollar:)
Hey! I am in the exact same situation as you. Kinda upset, cause Parkwood wasn't even in my option? Even more upset cause I didn't get en-suite which was what I stated as my preferences and that I wanted to be close to the central of campus. I don't know what to do.. But if I don't accept it I'll have to look for it elsewhere off campus which isn't something I can do as well since I'm an international student, it isn't easy for me. Also, I got placed in a house.. Does this mean I might have to share a room as well?
Original post by sabrina1697
Hey! I am in the exact same situation as you. Kinda upset, cause Parkwood wasn't even in my option? Even more upset cause I didn't get en-suite which was what I stated as my preferences and that I wanted to be close to the central of campus. I don't know what to do.. But if I don't accept it I'll have to look for it elsewhere off campus which isn't something I can do as well since I'm an international student, it isn't easy for me. Also, I got placed in a house.. Does this mean I might have to share a room as well?

SNAP! Nah, pretty sure being in a house just means shared bathroom (not ensuite, as you noticed *sigh*), same as me. Which court are you in? 5 bed or 6 bed? (if i remember right, the 6 bed houses have an extra bathroom)
Nice to know i'm not the only one panicking! Of course, everyone wasnt going to get what they asked for, there are thousands of us, but trying to be reasonable and logical doesnt make it any less gutting, amirite?...
(edited 7 years ago)
i got parkwood too and it wasn't what i'd put down :frown: so upset. I was really looking forward to starting in september but now i'm stressed out and panicky
Original post by heather571
i got parkwood too and it wasn't what i'd put down :frown: so upset. I was really looking forward to starting in september but now i'm stressed out and panicky

Welcome, welcome! Join the club, I'll make badges
Aw man, noone wanted Parkwood did they. Seriously, hugs to everyone else out there feeling stressed and disappointed
Original post by francescacwls
SNAP! Nah, pretty sure being in a house just means shared bathroom (not ensuite, as you noticed *sigh*), same as me. Which court are you in? 5 bed or 6 bed? (if i remember right, the 6 bed houses have an extra bathroom)
Nice to know i'm not the only one panicking! Of course, everyone wasnt going to get what they asked for, there are thousands of us, but trying to be reasonable and logical doesnt make it any less gutting, amirite?...

I'm in the 5 bed, which court will you be in?I haven't even accepted the offer, just sitting here doing research mentally preparing myself for this even though I have no other option at the moment.. Just a little bit too confident with getting my first & second choice, yet I got something completely different from what I asked for... But I'm still grateful & sure the place is lovely :smile: *just. soooo. far. away. from everything. & no.... en-suite...*Also, I've encountered a few people who got parkwood even tho its not their choice (Just serves to show that its kinda the last resort, probably cause of the distance.) HahaBUT STILL... i'm sure its.. lovely :biggrin:
Original post by sabrina1697
I'm in the 5 bed, which court will you be in?I haven't even accepted the offer, just sitting here doing research mentally preparing myself for this even though I have no other option at the moment.. Just a little bit too confident with getting my first & second choice, yet I got something completely different from what I asked for... But I'm still grateful & sure the place is lovely :smile: *just. soooo. far. away. from everything. & no.... en-suite...*Also, I've encountered a few people who got parkwood even tho its not their choice (Just serves to show that its kinda the last resort, probably cause of the distance.) HahaBUT STILL... i'm sure its.. lovely :biggrin:

I got offered Lypeatt Court, 6 bed house (arghhh). Haha, you are literally me! I'm Googleing away, but we all know I have no options really. Shitshitshit. It's so... cut off from everything. Rahh anyway, I'm rambling, but I'm so stressed now. Such a lot of money to spend on something I'm this upset about.
Reply 10
Ive got parkwood too! it wasn't my first choice and i don't know much about it
It's the furthest away from campus, I really didn't want to trek through a park everyday, especially at night. It just seems really cut off. The room isn't ensuite, and it all just looks old and forgotten and ugly tbh,
Compared to the nice new building, it just doesn't seem worth the money. Before you, I'd heard nothing good about it :s-smilie:
(If anyone wanted Parkwood and is looking forward to going then that's great though, sorry fr venting :colondollar:)

The ensuite is basically a very small wet room in which everything ( and I mean everything ) got wet! Sorry you are so disappointed. It really isn't that long a walk . I know my brother liked the fact he could escape from all the noise but perhaps that is just him. Please don't let it spoil the end of the summer. Canterbury is a really great place. I do know he had at least one flat mate who moved in the first week or two of term onto campus and another who moved off campus to join them after about 4 weeks so it may be possible to swap once term starts.
Original post by rhiannon277
The ensuite is basically a very small wet room in which everything ( and I mean everything ) got wet! Sorry you are so disappointed. It really isn't that long a walk . I know my brother liked the fact he could escape from all the noise but perhaps that is just him. Please don't let it spoil the end of the summer. Canterbury is a really great place. I do know he had at least one flat mate who moved in the first week or two of term onto campus and another who moved off campus to join them after about 4 weeks so it may be possible to swap once term starts.

Aw, I really appreciate you trying to cheer me up :h: Honestly, I was already nervy about sharing accomodation (this last year I've been out of the whole school system, had a job and my own flat), Parkwood houses feel like the furthest away from what I'm used to: Shared house, shared kitchen, shared bathroom... Reminds me of boarding school when I was 15 :s-smilie: In my mind, the things that made me feel ok about on campus accomodation aren't actually valid in Parkwood: Rolling out of bed and into lectures, a nice modern building, being near all the facilities, not being too far from town
Apparantly in november you can apply for room changes, but it costs £50 extra, and "my room is ugly and I dont want to walk so far" might not cut it :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
I'm a third year student, and your comment made me laugh (not in a mean way though). :wink:
Park Wood is pretty nice. Sure, it is far, but some people try to make it look like it's at the end of the world. I live in Tyler Court A and Tyler Court B for my first and second years, but I did go to my friend's place at Park Wood quite a lot of times, and it never felt like it's that far. Besides, a lot of people from my country have applied for Park Wood for their second year! Some even went from Turing to Park Wood! I think some people just like the cosy feeling you only get from Park Wood.(It feels like a community because there are so many houses scattered around on a huge field whereas the other accommodations are just ... buildings).
If I ever come back for a fourth year (you add a computing course to your 3-year course), I will consider ParkWood ensuite.
(By the way, unless you're living in Elliott or Rutherford, everywhere is ''far'', depending on where you want to go; Woolf is far from Keynes but close to Darwin, for instance).

Also, I don't want to sell a dream. :P
It'll probably suck if you got a 6-bedroom house when you were expecting a spacious room with a big kitchen. If you didn't expect anything much, then you're probably gonna enjoy your time in Park Wood - as most people do, after all.Edited: I don't know what I meant by 'white plain'. o.O
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rile06
I'm a third year student, and your comment made me laugh (not in a mean way though). :wink:
Park Wood is pretty nice. Sure, it is far, but some people try to make it look like it's at the end of the world. I live in Tyler Court A and Tyler Court B for my first and second years, but I did go to my friend's place at Park Wood quite a lot of times, and it never felt like it's that far. Besides, a lot of people from my country have applied for Park Wood for their second year! Some even went from Turing to Park Wood! I think some people just like the cosy feeling you only get from Park Wood.(It feels like a community because there are so many houses scattered around on a huge white plain whereas the other accommodations are just ... buildings).
If I ever come back for a fourth year (you add a computing course to your 3-year course), I will consider ParkWood ensuite.
(By the way, unless you're living in Elliott or Rutherford, everywhere is ''far'', depending on where you want to go; Woolf is far from Keynes but close to Darwin, for instance).

Also, I don't want to sell a dream. :P
It'll probably suck if you got a 6-bedroom house when you were expecting a spacious room with a big kitchen. If you didn't expect anything much, then you're probably gonna enjoy your time in Park Wood - as most people do, after all.

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week :tongue:
Apparently lots of my lectures are down in that building at the far end, next to the Darwin accommodation, so it's particularly irritating. I do get the "it's a cosy house, not a cold harsh hotel" thing... But i like cold harsh hotels :wink:
(Not to seem petty, but does noone think the interior is really miserable? Has it been redecorated since they took the photos on the website? I've never seen it irl so I don't have a clue, but from what I can see online, Parkwood seems a litle bit abandoned compared to some of the other buildings)
"It'll probably suck if you got a 6-bedroom house when you were expecting a spacious room with a big kitchen". Aw, feck. Que sera sera, I guess.
Reply 15
Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week :tongue:
Apparently lots of my lectures are down in that building at the far end, next to the Darwin accommodation, so it's particularly irritating. I do get the "it's a cosy house, not a cold harsh hotel" thing... But i like cold harsh hotels :wink:
(Not to seem petty, but does noone think the interior is really miserable? Has it been redecorated since they took the photos on the website? I've never seen it irl so I don't have a clue, but from what I can see online, Parkwood seems a litle bit abandoned compared to some of the other buildings)
"It'll probably suck if you got a 6-bedroom house when you were expecting a spacious room with a big kitchen". Aw, feck. Que sera sera, I guess.

Hmm, I think my friend from last year got the 5-bedroom house in Park Wood. I was a bit stunned when I got in his bedroom and kitchen. Everything was so close and tiny. But he is a very easygoing guy, so he didn't mind the lack of space. He enjoyed it a lot, to be honest. His room was so messy that I couldn't really see if it was miserable. Normally when you arrive at the university, there'll be a helper who'll bring your luggage to your accommodation (unless you arrive at night, or something like that). In 2014, when the helper brought me to my room in Tyler Court A and opened the door, I was like : ****! . The room was extremely tiny even though it had an ensuite. I got used to it though and I got more attached to it than to my room in Tyler Court B from 2015, which was way bigger. The only real problem is the bathroom. I've never shared, but some people don't mind it.

If you are living in the 6 bedroom house, then your kitchen will be bigger and you will have two fridges. You'll also have two bathrooms (upstairs and downstairs). Unlike the 5 bedroom house, which has only one of each. Another advantage: most people you'll meet will be living in Park Wood. And there's also more fun going on there than at any other place on campus!That lecture room near Darwin is Woolf. It's close only to those living in Darwin, Rutherford or Tyler. But you will cope. :wink:The worst accommodations tend to be Elliott and Rutherford. The kitchenettes are super tiny and you have to share one bathroom with everybody else. I didn't think much of it (to each his own), but I know many people who complained about it. Besides, both accommodations look like an underground maze! So, in the end, Park Wood is not that bad. Besides, there will be so many accommodations available around on campus that you will be able to switch if you want to.
Reply 16
Hey guys I'm in the same situation as you I've been put in Park Wood too and I'm pretty sure i didn't have it in any of my 5 choices :/ anyone else on here in house Lypeatt Court 15/C or something like that ???
Original post by rile06
Hmm, I think my friend from last year got the 5-bedroom house in Park Wood. I was a bit stunned when I got in his bedroom and kitchen. Everything was so close and tiny. But he is a very easygoing guy, so he didn't mind the lack of space. He enjoyed it a lot, to be honest. His room was so messy that I couldn't really see if it was miserable. Normally when you arrive at the university, there'll be a helper who'll bring your luggage to your accommodation (unless you arrive at night, or something like that). In 2014, when the helper brought me to my room in Tyler Court A and opened the door, I was like : ****! . The room was extremely tiny even though it had an ensuite. I got used to it though and I got more attached to it than to my room in Tyler Court B from 2015, which was way bigger. The only real problem is the bathroom. I've never shared, but some people don't mind it.

If you are living in the 6 bedroom house, then your kitchen will be bigger and you will have two fridges. You'll also have two bathrooms (upstairs and downstairs). Unlike the 5 bedroom house, which has only one of each. Another advantage: most people you'll meet will be living in Park Wood. And there's also more fun going on there than at any other place on campus!That lecture room near Darwin is Woolf. It's close only to those living in Darwin, Rutherford or Tyler. But you will cope. :wink:The worst accommodations tend to be Elliott and Rutherford. The kitchenettes are super tiny and you have to share one bathroom with everybody else. I didn't think much of it (to each his own), but I know many people who complained about it. Besides, both accommodations look like an underground maze! So, in the end, Park Wood is not that bad. Besides, there will be so many accommodations available around on campus that you will be able to switch if you want to.

Ah well, seriously though, thanks for all the info *hug* Really I wish I'd been able to go to one of the open days so I could have seen the buildings and campus for myself,at least I'd feel less stressed about not knowing to what extent size, shape and distance vary. (I guess none of the rooms were ever going to be massive aha but information is reassuring, yknow?)
I'll just keep researching alternatives, but it's really good to know that everyone didn't hate it there! :wink:
(Bus seat fabric / Old 90's Benneton shirt curtain is just adding insult to injury though :tongue:) PWbed.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Aw, I really appreciate you trying to cheer me up :h: Honestly, I was already nervy about sharing accomodation (this last year I've been out of the whole school system, had a job and my own flat), Parkwood houses feel like the furthest away from what I'm used to: Shared house, shared kitchen, shared bathroom... Reminds me of boarding school when I was 15 :s-smilie: In my mind, the things that made me feel ok about on campus accomodation aren't actually valid in Parkwood: Rolling out of bed and into lectures, a nice modern building, being near all the facilities, not being too far from town
Apparantly in november you can apply for room changes, but it costs £50 extra, and "my room is ugly and I dont want to walk so far" might not cut it :biggrin:

I know what you mean about boarding school. The girl who left my brother's flat left precisely because she didn't want to walk so they will understand! My brother also had a friend in Turing and he wasn't sure it was worth the money. Mind you he had rubbish flat mates. Whatever happens I hope you have a great year :smile:
So I know this isn't to do specifically with Parkwood, however I just wondered how far down was it on your list of preferences? I have a friend who applied late through clearing and just wondered who has received their first choice so far? I have received and accepted my offer, but mine isn't very indicative of everyone else's as I have autism and severe anxiety requiring medication, and so I was guaranteed my first choice for accommodation anyway (large ensuite in Becket Court).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending