The Student Room Group

Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inhuman
How do I know how good a Pokemon's moveset is?

It's really based off the DPS (Damage per second) because that's really what matters. So, how fast the attack is and how powerful it is. If I recall, Vaporeon's most powerful move is Hydro Pump but, it's best move is Aqua Tail because you can use it more than once and is slightly better in DPS.

Although, I do need to ask a question guys.
Why is it Lapras's (or at least mine), whenever it uses blizzard takes a while for any damage to occur?
Original post by inhuman
Honestly, I have not even considered attacks yet...but that is a very good point. Then again, I have heard that every evolution you get random movesets so focusing on IV is the only thing you can do and hope the evolution gives a good moveset.

But atm I am just farming Pidgeys again, I really want my next lucky egg evolution cycle, since the next one will include my 95% IV Magikarp.

That should already get me way on the way to level 24 since by the time I have 70 evolutions (I am aiming for 70, I think I can do it with concentration) I will almost be 23 anyway.

Yea I just noticed as I've been thinking about more gym battles recently. The random moveset is annoying enough when catching but to then have them change on evolution is so frustrating. I can see the appeal on focusing on Lapras/Snorlax which are strong but also you don't have to worry about moveset afterwards!

Ugh yesterday I just found loads of rattatas instead of pidgeys. Hardly see any weedles or caterpies..

Original post by tomtjl
22 is around 1 lucky egg per level, yeah, 23/24/25/26 goes up to 2 though D:

STAB is 1.2x damage, with a type advantage giving 1.25x, meaning if you have both you'll have exactly 1.5x damage against the opponent. Unfortunately, movesets are random upon capture/evolution and there is no way to change them (hoping they introduce a TM system or a move change system for 25 coins or such). Seaking is a particularly bad Pokemon for gym battles anyway, at least in my experience.

Evolved a lucky egg set of Pokemon earlier, including my second Gyarados. I got Bite and Twister AGAIN for **** sake. This Gyarados is around 1800 too -_-. Also evolved my Dragonair into Dragonite and his moveset is Steel Wing and Dragon Claw, which is okay but not really great :/.

So, in conclusion, movesets are damn important. A great Pokemon with a terrible moveset can screw you over.

Yea it's a big increase at this point and I've only got 2 lucky eggs left at the moment! :colondollar:

Worst is when you're trying to evolve something hard I guess. What are Gyarados' best/ideal moves you'd want? I'm only at 160 candies so some way to go yet!

Original post by inhuman

I guess the main thing is that you want same type attacks to the type it shows your pokemon to be?
Original post by Scienceisgood
It's really based off the DPS (Damage per second) because that's really what matters. So, how fast the attack is and how powerful it is. If I recall, Vaporeon's most powerful move is Hydro Pump but, it's best move is Aqua Tail because you can use it more than once and is slightly better in DPS.

Although, I do need to ask a question guys.
Why is it Lapras's (or at least mine), whenever it uses blizzard takes a while for any damage to occur?

And I can just google what is best for each Pokemon?
Original post by inhuman
And I can just google what is best for each Pokemon?

Yep. Best thing is just to google it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by inhuman

Use this:
https://pokeassistant.com/main/movelist?locale=en

Original post by Zerforax
Yea I just noticed as I've been thinking about more gym battles recently. The random moveset is annoying enough when catching but to then have them change on evolution is so frustrating. I can see the appeal on focusing on Lapras/Snorlax which are strong but also you don't have to worry about moveset afterwards!

Ugh yesterday I just found loads of rattatas instead of pidgeys. Hardly see any weedles or caterpies..

Yea it's a big increase at this point and I've only got 2 lucky eggs left at the moment! :colondollar:

Worst is when you're trying to evolve something hard I guess. What are Gyarados' best/ideal moves you'd want? I'm only at 160 candies so some way to go yet!

I guess the main thing is that you want same type attacks to the type it shows your pokemon to be?

Yeah, it's a giant pain in the arse when it's a Gyarados or Dragonite, etc. Or if it's a Snorlax/Lapras which you can really only get from eggs or lucky spawns.

For Gyarados, the ideal moveset is Bite/Hydro Pump. Bite, being a dark move, doesn't get STAB but it means that Gyarados can take down Psychic Pokemon with ease, rather than just being Water/Water type moves. It's the fact that it has Twister as it's secondary attack which, if you look at the link I posted above, is among the worst DPS moves in the game. Terrible for such a good Pokemon.

You'll get another lucky egg at 25, but at this point it might be worth saving up some coins to buy some from the store.
Thanks for all the help btw :smile: that site looks very useful
Original post by inhuman
Thanks for all the help btw :smile: that site looks very useful

Yeah it has an evolution calculator and an IV calculator which are both great.

Btw, in the next update, the game will allow you to calculate a Pokemon's IVs, eliminating the need for external IV calculators.
Original post by tomtjl
Yeah it has an evolution calculator and an IV calculator which are both great.

Btw, in the next update, the game will allow you to calculate a Pokemon's IVs, eliminating the need for external IV calculators.

Where did you find out update info
Original post by mahmzo
Where did you find out update info

Twitter + Reddit.

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoNews/status/767934458578305024
So close now to being able to get an Ivysaur and a Wartortle. =D
Logged in this morning (about 5 minutes after waking up) to find a Squirtle on my nearby list, thinking of my luck I then said out loud "Oh come on, it's too early to leave and there's no way I'm going to get it!", 3 seconds later it spawns right next to me! XD

Still haven't seen a charmander though...
Seen a couple of silhouettes going down to my aunt and uncles but they never spawned. =(
Reply 1450
Eurgh, the gym at my station is level 8. Seriously?!

:sad:
Annoyed now...

Have less than an hour until I could claim the last 20 coins and then I could upgrade my bag and someone takes BOTH gyms in my area... What makes it worse is I thought this couldn't happen because they were both level 6...

Posted from TSR Mobile
They have added an appraise function when you click the 3 lines option (to favourite/transfer pokemon).

Doesn't say that much information but will tell you what their best attribute is so maybe that can help you narrow down in the IV calculators?
They have added an appraise function when you click the 3 lines option (to favourite/transfer pokemon).

Doesn't say that much information but will tell you what their best attribute is so maybe that can help you narrow down in the IV calculators?

Their response differs based on the IVs of the Pokemon:
http://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemon-appraisal
Original post by tomtjl
Their response differs based on the IVs of the Pokemon:
http://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemon-appraisal

I guess it's a helpful starting point.
I guess it's a helpful starting point.

Yeah, not really a great feature to be honest. I was expecting much more from them.
I'm saving up my coins to buy a set of 8 lucky eggs to help me get from 26-30, which is when I'll run out of free ones. After 30 I won't care about leveling up as it just gets ridiculous. I'm currently 24.

I did spend some money increasing my bag storage to 600 however, which I upped to 650 from my first gym coins. I needed the space to store lots of balls and potions. My Pokemon storage is 300 as well, means I have to faff about with transfers less often as I'm usually at about 150-200 that I want to keep either for evolve EXP, duplicates of rares I'm keeping for trading or duplicates that are among my best Pokemon. Like 4 of my best 6 CP Pokemon are Hypnos due to how common they are.
The new Appraisal option is completely useless!

Oh not, my Vaporeon that has an XS marker is the "smallest he has ever seen". Wow, how helpful.

Given that there are numerous IV calculators out there, I do not think they should have bothered with this, like at all. Waste of time. Could have improved something else.
When all you have is 5km eggs and they all hatch into rats :sigh:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
When all you have is 5km eggs and they all hatch into rats :sigh:

Hey, I'm half tempted to spend £15 on bag and Pokemon upgrades and the rest in incubators to get rid of all my old eggs. =l

I think I have some eggs from when I was level 18...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest