The Student Room Group

What should I take

I have about 2 days left to decide so it's not the best time to be changing my mind. My choices were originally Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, and Spanish.
My dilemma is that I'm now thinking I should take Maths instead of Spanish. I don't know what to do because I enjoy both but I know maths would work better with my sciences and I could carry on Spanish at any point in my life.

Suggestions/advice?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by MoreThanSmart
I have about 2 days left to decide so it's not the best time to be changing my mind. My choices were originally Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, and Spanish.
My dilemma is that I'm now thinking I should take Maths instead of Spanish. I don't know what to do because I enjoy both but I know maths would work better with my sciences and I could carry on Spanish at any point in my life.

Suggestions/advice?

On subjects reformed, the new A-level Biology has 10% of maths incorporated in its exams (on Edexcel exam board anyway), while Chemistry at A-level has 20% of marks available for mathematical skills in chemical context (on the OCR B exam board anyway).

I'm taking Biology and Chemistry, and originally wasn't going to take maths at A-level, but decided to instead because it does come in handy. It's not essential you take maths, just as long as you have a decent understanding of maths.

If you're wondering what you'll need to be capable of completing, A-level Chemistry (on OCR board at least) will involve mathematically, here it is:
-Carry out calculations using numbers in both ordinary and standard form
-Round answers in calculations to a given number of significant figures
-Calculate a mean
-Use ratios, fractions and percentages
-Change the subject of an equation
-Plot a graph using suitable axes and drawing a line of best fit.

Suggestions/advice?

Do maths
Maths is way more helpful for keeping university options open.

And A-level languages won't even make you fluent. You'll need to study the language even more to be able to speak it near-fluently.

Suggestions/advice?

UPDATE
I'm still stressing about this and really don't even want to think about uni yet

Quick Reply

Latest