The Student Room Group

£100000 is only £65000 after taxes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by not_lucas1
Shift workers maybe but if someone does its their choice of overtime which they are being paid for, not forced to work until then

Nobody is forced to work any hours unless they are enslaved. There are plenty of people who work those hours without added overtime pay. City lawyers, for example, regularly do so.
Original post by Ladbants
Another one: if you earn £400000, your take home pay is actually only £222000.

Higher in the six figs the more the effective tax rate tends towards the 45% mark

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NotYaboy
lolwat

notsureifsrs

he's very srs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh i was just thinking of the average 9-5 job completely forgot about those types of jobs sorry
Original post by Princepieman
Congrats, you've discovered taxes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loled
Reply 45
Original post by SunnysideSea
That's what Thatcher attempted to introduce (the Poll tax). It ended her political career

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, the poll tax was a fixed tax paid individually, not a percentage of one's income. A unique rate of 20% would be a flat tax.
Reply 46
Original post by Princepieman

Misread, thought he said 40k and 22k for some reason.

Still gutting though.
Original post by NotYaboy
Misread, thought he said 40k and 22k for some reason.

Still gutting though.

Deffo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by Ladbants
If you earn £100000 a year, your take-home pay is only £65467 after income tax and national insurance. So you literally lose more than a third of your income to the government. Surely this is really unfair to those who have worked really hard. I would much prefer it if everyone just paid 20% of their income in tax

I've just made the math for an equivalent salary in France.

Raw salary: €120,000
Net Salary (after health and pension [mandatory in France]): €92,400
Salary after income tax: €68,000

It should be noted that the employer would pay about €42,000 of tax on the top of that.

The UK isn't that bad.
(edited 7 years ago)
The income tax rate should only be 10-20% tops, with the same for corporation tax.

People who earn the most money also tend to be the ones creating the most wealth. Business owners, entrepreneurs, investors, etc. They're big producers, without whom the economy would suffer.

Simply because they happen to be more successful does not mean they owe more than anyone else. They are protected by the same police force, military, use the same roads... but because people look upon them with envy, with disapproval, or say "they don't need that!", suddenly they must endure an enormous tax burden on the money they earned and the wealth they created. Suddenly they 'owe' so much more of what they themselves have achieved. And what happens when they don't pay up? The state takes it by force and throws them in jail.

Taxes should not be so high. Government should be small and its services limited to only the most essential needs.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's not fair that the common man (wlog) has to pay this percentage of their income when the multi national big corporations effectively pay nothing.

What is more interesting is the Government is well aware of this, more so than you and I, to the point they decide the tax laws for many tax havens.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britain-should-not-crack-down-on-tax-havens-as-it-would-destroy-their-livelihoods-senior-tory-mp-a6969121.html

They could choose to shut them down but the won't for many reasons, not worth discussing here.

The overriding point is this - its one rule for the multi national corporations and its one rule for the common man. Why?

Coincidentally if everyone including the big companies paid 20% then the tax revenue would actually increase.

You can't blame me for wanting to move my families business interests off shore - its legal and all the big fish are doing it and are being allowed to do so by the Government, so why can't I?
Original post by konvictz0007
It's not fair that the common man (wlog) has to pay this percentage of their income when the multi national big corporations eff hiectively pay nothing.

What is more interesting is the Government is well aware of this, more so than you and I, to the point they decide the tax laws for many tax havens.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britain-should-not-crack-down-on-tax-havens-as-it-would-destroy-their-livelihoods-senior-tory-mp-a6969121.html

They could choose to shut them down but the won't for many reasons, not worth discussing here.

The overriding point is this - its one rule for the multi national corporations and its one rule for the common man. Why?

Coincidentally if everyone including the big companies paid 20% then the tax revenue would actually increase.

You can't blame me for wanting to move my families business interests off shore - its legal and all the big fish are doing it and are being allowed to do so by the Government, so why can't I?

Go tax firms beyond there belief and see if they can afford to keep you in your job.
If you think that's bad what about inheritance tax? Why should I have to pay the government money that my grandad or whoever worked to get (money that he was already taxed for)?
Stamp duty tax, which makes buys property even more daunting for first time buys!
Honestly, it's absolutely disgusting how much the government just takes from you. A £100000 earner should be allowed to keep £75000 in my opinion. Losing £35000 to the taxpayer makes working in a £100000 no longer worth it.
tax = theft
Contributing back into society isn't a punishment, it's collective responsibility. As much as wealthy people would like to believe that their success is theirs and theirs alone, this is a falacy that simply exists to serve their egos and justify their excesses. In reality their success relies fundamentally on the infrastructures that have been put in place through taxation, i.e. an educated and healthy workforce, transportation infrastructure etc. Wealthy people are not taxed more because "they're successful", they're taxed more because they're more able to pay. Someone on a £100,000 salary believing that they're unfairly treated in comparison to someone on a £20,000 salary really needs to get off their high horse and come back to planet earth.

And of course there's the additional factor that salary is most definitely not a great indicator of how hard you work. There are plenty of incredibly hard careers that pay dismally, like research, teaching or many healthcare professions.
(edited 7 years ago)
This is the reason why the demographic of Labour vs Conservative voters is as it is.

Lots of people love the idea of high taxes to pay for things for other people - until they actually have to pay those taxes for themselves for real.
Original post by Plagioclase
Contributing back into society isn't a punishment, it's collective responsibility. As much as wealthy people would like to believe that their success is theirs and theirs alone, this is a falacy that simply exists to serve their egos and justify their excesses. In reality their success relies fundamentally on the infrastructures that have been put in place through taxation, i.e. an educated and healthy workforce, transportation infrastructure etc. Wealthy people are not taxed more because "they're successful", they're taxed more because they're more able to pay. Someone on a £100,000 salary believing that they're unfairly treated in comparison to someone on a £20,000 salary really needs to get off their high horse and come back to planet earth.

And of course there's the additional factor that salary is most definitely not a great indicator of how hard you work. There are plenty of incredibly hard careers that pay dismally, like research, teaching or many healthcare professions.

How is someone earning £200,000 and paying 40% tax on 80% of their earnings not being unfairly treated compared to someone on £20,000 paying 20% on half their earnings and 0% on the rest? The tax burden is overwhelmingly on higher and middle earners. Low earners contribute next to nothing
Original post by Plagioclase

By your own logic everyone should be getting jobs that earn them 100K a year. Everyone in the UK has access to the benefits.

The people who earn 100K salary are in that position because they either worked hard when they were younger to achieve the grades to go into a well paying profession, or they worked their way up the corporate ladder.

This notion the working class have that they work as hard as people like my father is honestly not very realistic. There are plenty of people who work for him that I over hear saying that he does nothing but go to meetings and sit in the office, and yet they don't see that he is the one paying their wages, he is the one who runs the entire place and without him they would be jobless. They fail to grasp that he pays more tax in a year then they earn.
Original post by Trinculo
How is someone earning £200,000 and paying 40% tax on 80% of their earnings not being unfairly treated compared to someone on £20,000 paying 20% on half their earnings and 0% on the rest? The tax burden is overwhelmingly on higher and middle earners. Low earners contribute next to nothing

Because they're more able to pay. The cost of living doesn't scale with wage, someone on a £200,000 salary is vastly more capable of paying tax than someone on a £20,000 salary. A loss of a few thousand on a £20,000 salary could be ruinous, a loss of a few thousand on a £200,000 salary would be barely noticeable. So of course the tax burden is overwhelmingly on higher and middle earners because they're the groups that are actually capable of paying significant taxes. If you're struggling to make ends meet you're hardly going to be contributing a huge amount in terms of tax, are you? Even after tax, you're still earning a huge amount if you're on a six figure salary. I have no idea what you're complaining about.

Original post by Freddyt58
By your own logic everyone should be getting jobs that earn them 100K a year. Everyone in the UK has access to the benefits.

The people who earn 100K salary are in that position because they either worked hard when they were younger to achieve the grades to go into a well paying profession, or they worked their way up the corporate ladder.

This notion the working class have that they work as hard as people like my father is honestly not very realistic. There are plenty of people who work for him that I over hear saying that he does nothing but go to meetings and sit in the office, and yet they don't see that he is the one paying their wages, he is the one who runs the entire place and without him they would be jobless. They fail to grasp that he pays more tax in a year then they earn.

You're twisting my words and misrepresenting reality. Firstly, I didn't say it was "easy" to get a six figure salary (unless you're born into money and you're living off investments). I said that there are plenty of lower paying jobs that are very challenging too, so the logic "Person A earns less than Person B therefore Person A works harder than Person B" may be correct in some circumstances but as a blanket statement is grossly incorrect. Not everybody goes for the highest paying career that they can possibly get into. This is why we have many incredibly hard working, highly educated people working in professions that pay comparatively little. They're not earning less because they're not working hard, they're earning less because they're job is further away from the money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending