The Student Room Group

Opinions on these a level choices

Hi, I'm going to be picking my A levels in a month or so and I just want some opinions on these A levels and what I should expect from them. And maybe which A levels you think would be a good combo.
The A levels in deciding between are: biology, maths, business, psychology and computer science.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by love4daisy
Hi, I'm going to be picking my A levels in a month or so and I just want some opinions on these A levels and what I should expect from them. And maybe which A levels you think would be a good combo.
The A levels in deciding between are: biology, maths, business, psychology and computer science.

Biology, maths and psychology would be a good combination
Reply 2
Psychology is an easy A grade; pick it.
Original post by fefssdf
Psychology is an easy A grade; pick it.

Which exam board are you doing it with?

What are you thinking of doing at uni?

Business imo isn't a good combination - you could maybe try economics or go with the vibe you are showing and pick physics.

However chemistry has some overlap with biology - not so much but yeah CHEM IS HARD
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Biology and Maths are a very good combination. Don't know much about Computer Science, but I'd assume it goes well with Maths too? I'd say take Psychology too as it isn't difficult to pass.

So, I'd say take: Biology, Computer Science, Maths and Psychology.
Reply 7
Original post by Fatimabibi_
Which exam board are you doing it with?

AQA. It's just a memory test, meaning anyone can do well !!
Reply 8
Biology and Psychology have some nice overlaps. I can't comment on business and ComSci, but Maths is okay if you can spare the time to continually practice. It's not like science where you learn the answers, you have to see as many variations of each technique as possible. A concern may be picking Biology as the 'easy' science. Lots of people fail biology because they have unreasonable expectations for the subject.Ultimately, you need to chose whichever you will be able to motivate yourself to study for two years, and what will facilitate whatever you want to do with your A-Levels.

However, as a Biologist, I would like to say that biology is the best subject, and everything else you could possibly study is physics or pointless :P
Dyk what you want to study at uni?
Reply 10
Original post by Emma:-)
What are you thinking of doing at uni?

i thinking either psychology or computer science but im really not sure

I'm about to start A2 psychology and only picked it as a throwaway subject but now I really like it and will be applying to study it at university. I would absolutely recommend psychology, it's so interesting and diverse and covers a lot of areas. Units I'm doing for AQA are social influence, attachment in children, memory and psychopathology and at A2 bio psychology, relationships (which explains stuff like falling in love, how we choose our partners, romantic preferences etc), schizophrenia and forensic psychology. Honestly could not recommend it enough. There's an awful lot of content to learn, which is the hardest part of the course but if you revise and go over stuff throughout the year you'll be fine. There's a lot of science involved though, particularly in scientific research methods as you have to explain how to conduct research and memorise famous psychological studies. Also a fair bit of biology involved, especially when you get to A2 (if you do AQA, can't comment on other exam boards)

Computer science I can't comment on personally, but I've heard from three friends it's an absolute bore. Starts off interesting but gets so dull come the end of AS. I believe all are are dropping it for A2.

Maths is really interesting/enjoyable for me but there's a lot of emphasis on algebra, factorising, transformations of graphs and trigonometry. If you don't enjoy maths absolutely do not take it.

Business and biology I can't say about because I've hard no experience of them, first hand or vicariously but would definitely recommend maths and psychology especially. Wouldn't take ComScience if I were you though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fefssdf
AQA. It's just a memory test, meaning anyone can do well !!

I'll be doing it with that exam board too, which student textbook & revision guides did you use for revision or making notes?

Business is a useless A Level and an even more useless degree. Trust me. Biology, Maths, Psychology and Computer Science are all very good A Levels, the science and maths will give you the best chance of getting onto whatever degree course you want, pretty much all decent degree courses with BEng or BSc qualifications will want either or both of these.
I'm studying bio and psych and I can say for sure that I wasn't expecting psychology to be as good as it is. It's so interesting, and I'm so motivated to study for it because it's something different and I can't wait to hopefully do it at uni. I find psychology pretty easy and have gained consistent A* grades

Bio has a few overlaps with psych (biopsychology) but do not be fooled, biology is a HARD subject with a LOT of content so you must be prepared for plenty of revision! I do enjoy biology tho, it's just hard but nowhere near as hard as chem and physics I've heard.

I can't comment on the others as I've not taken them sorry.

Hope this helped!
Original post by DMcGovern
Business is a useless A Level and an even more useless degree. Trust me. Biology, Maths, Psychology and Computer Science are all very good A Levels, the science and maths will give you the best chance of getting onto whatever degree course you want, pretty much all decent degree courses with BEng or BSc qualifications will want either or both of these.

Business A level or degree is really not useless I done both now work at Google. So they are really useless lol. You can do what ever subjects you want all degrees are useless if you do not get experience.
Original post by the IT MAN
Business A level or degree is really not useless I done both now work at Google. So they are really useless lol. You can do what ever subjects you want all degrees are useless if you do not get experience.

In many fields, graduate degrees offer distinct benefits for your extra years in school. Employees armed with a graduate education are often a more attractive hire and can make a higher salary than colleagues who have only A-Levels, BTEC, an apprenticeship, or even a Bachelor's. For example, my sister has finished a Geology BSc and is doing an MSc in Petroleum Geology and then a PhD. She's been guaranteed by a graduate programme a starting salary of £30k that will rise to 60, 80, and then 120 over 15 years.

However, for some degrees the benefits of going to graduate school are comparatively low and don't justify the extra investment and are less valuable than experience, like business, and rely mainly on chance and gaining experience.

Bio maths and psychology. I did these at AS and for me they were a really complementary set to do
Original post by DMcGovern
In many fields, graduate degrees offer distinct benefits for your extra years in school. Employees armed with a graduate education are often a more attractive hire and can make a higher salary than colleagues who have only A-Levels, BTEC, an apprenticeship, or even a Bachelor's. For example, my sister has finished a Geology BSc and is doing an MSc in Petroleum Geology and then a PhD. She's been guaranteed by a graduate programme a starting salary of £30k that will rise to 60, 80, and then 120 over 15 years.

However, for some degrees the benefits of going to graduate school are comparatively low and don't justify the extra investment and are less valuable than experience, like business, and rely mainly on chance and gaining experience.

Lol I am on 35k with my useless degree shame what a waste.

Id do the first 4 you mentioned- biology, maths, business and psychology.
If you want to do psychology then obviously do psychology. Biology goes well with it. Maths is a good, respected subject and allows you to do several things if you change your mind. And business is useful for several things as well.

Quick Reply

Latest