Anyone headed to Liberty Dock this year? I'm in block F F2.14 😊

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Helloo, I am but I'm in block E E2.16 ☺️☺️
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Oh cool! Was it your first choice? I had chosen Henry Price but didn't get it, i panicked a bit at first bc Liberty Dock is quite far from the campus but it actually looks quite good! ☺️
Reply 3
My first choice was Leodis Residences, but I'm in the B block of Liberty Dock now.
I was exactly the same... I think I'll probably look into an annual bus pass but it's just more money to say goodbye too 😱
Reply 5
I'll probably be taking a bus in the morning and walking back in the afternoon, so I can stop by the shops if I need anything picking up.
Reply 6
yeah I was thinking the same thing! Probs going to get the annual bus pass as it works across West Yorkshire which is where I live. And it will be handy if you want to visit people at other accommodation. I actually went to have a look around today and it's only a 5/10 min walk to the city centre and there's a tesco on the corner. Which flat are you in? Have you guys had any luck finding your flat mates?
Reply 7
Original post by bexengland
Oh cool! Was it your first choice? I had chosen Henry Price but didn't get it, i panicked a bit at first bc Liberty Dock is quite far from the campus but it actually looks quite good! ☺️

sorry only just seen this!! but no it wasn't my first choice either😒 I chose central village but knew it was quite popular so wasn't really expecting to get it!! but yeah I was the same as you, I've heard that it's in quite a nice area and that makes up for the distance from campus☺️
anyone in B1.25? :smile:
Original post by izzy.h
Helloo, I am but I'm in block E E2.16 ☺️☺️

Hey I'm block E E2.21 there's a group chat for block E if you add me on FB I'll add you 🙂
Reply 10
Hello anyone nearby me, I'm in D4.12. Hoping I've got some flat mates sharing the pain of being so far away haha 😂
Hey, I got Block D5.11. Wasn't my first choice either.. i applied to Leodis but Liberty Dock looks quite nice. Just so far from campus 😩
Reply 12
Hi guys :smile: I lived in Liberty Dock last year so if anyone has any questions about any aspect of these halls, or uni life in general, feel free to ask! Also if anyone's living in L4.23 that was my room! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by izzy.h
sorry only just seen this!! but no it wasn't my first choice either😒 I chose central village but knew it was quite popular so wasn't really expecting to get it!! but yeah I was the same as you, I've heard that it's in quite a nice area and that makes up for the distance from campus☺️

Ah so relieved!! I applied to Henry price and was so worried about the distance and possible lack of social life. But at least we can all make the journey to see others together. I'm in D 1.36
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Izzones
Hi guys :smile: I lived in Liberty Dock last year so if anyone has any questions about any aspect of these halls, or uni life in general, feel free to ask! Also if anyone's living in L4.23 that was my room! :biggrin:

Hi, did u find the distance to be a massive problem? Heard it can be quite iscolating being so far from the uni and other halls. How long does the bus to the uni take? How is it socially (honestly hahhah)? And did you know of any people who successfully managed to swap to a different accom once there? Sorry for all the qs!!
Reply 15
Original post by sarah117
Hi, did u find the distance to be a massive problem? Heard it can be quite iscolating being so far from the uni and other halls. How long does the bus to the uni take? How is it socially (honestly hahhah)? And did you know of any people who successfully managed to swap to a different accom once there? Sorry for all the qs!!

When I got allocated Liberty Dock I was worried that the distance would be a problem but honestly I just got used to it, it's about 20 minutes on the bus to uni and can be quicker if there's less traffic (although in rush hour it can be about 30 minutes), so to me it was similar to coming home after school. I quite liked having distance between uni and the halls because it felt more like coming home at the end of the day, but having to get up earlier because of the distance wasn't always ideal! And Liberty Dock is a lot closer to town and all the shops and clubs than most halls, only taking about 5-10 mins on the bus or about 15 minutes to walk. A big downside was that I wanted to play hockey this year but the playing fields were about 50 minutes away on the bus from lib dock and I wasn't prepared to give up that much time!

Socially I think lib dock has a bad rep compared to some other halls, but tbh it's not that bad! Unfortunately there's no living area with sofas and a TV or anything in the flats so pre-drinks were always held around the dining table aha with our desk chairs dragged in if we needed more seats, but we made it work! It's got a bar with sofas, a TV, pool table and table tennis table which was usually full when an event was held there (like free pizza or pub quizzes) but other than these times it didn't really get used because most people just hung out in their flats. While I was there it didn't seem like there were that many flat parties etc but that could just be because they happened in other blocks to where I was, I think it just depends on the people who are living there - lib dock has the potential to cater for everyone socially but just depends if people make use of it I guess!

And I knew of a few people who moved out of their flat, not due to them not liking lib dock but due to their flatmates, I think most of them just moved to another flat in lib dock. I think it's unlikely that you could move to a different halls because they'll probably all be completely full... when I got allocated lib dock I enquired about moving and they said the only available places were in Oxley halls which are even further from uni!

Sorry my response was so long haha, any more questions feel free to ask!
Original post by Izzones
When I got allocated Liberty Dock I was worried that the distance would be a problem but honestly I just got used to it, it's about 20 minutes on the bus to uni and can be quicker if there's less traffic (although in rush hour it can be about 30 minutes), so to me it was similar to coming home after school. I quite liked having distance between uni and the halls because it felt more like coming home at the end of the day, but having to get up earlier because of the distance wasn't always ideal! And Liberty Dock is a lot closer to town and all the shops and clubs than most halls, only taking about 5-10 mins on the bus or about 15 minutes to walk. A big downside was that I wanted to play hockey this year but the playing fields were about 50 minutes away on the bus from lib dock and I wasn't prepared to give up that much time!

Socially I think lib dock has a bad rep compared to some other halls, but tbh it's not that bad! Unfortunately there's no living area with sofas and a TV or anything in the flats so pre-drinks were always held around the dining table aha with our desk chairs dragged in if we needed more seats, but we made it work! It's got a bar with sofas, a TV, pool table and table tennis table which was usually full when an event was held there (like free pizza or pub quizzes) but other than these times it didn't really get used because most people just hung out in their flats. While I was there it didn't seem like there were that many flat parties etc but that could just be because they happened in other blocks to where I was, I think it just depends on the people who are living there - lib dock has the potential to cater for everyone socially but just depends if people make use of it I guess!

And I knew of a few people who moved out of their flat, not due to them not liking lib dock but due to their flatmates, I think most of them just moved to another flat in lib dock. I think it's unlikely that you could move to a different halls because they'll probably all be completely full... when I got allocated lib dock I enquired about moving and they said the only available places were in Oxley halls which are even further from uni!

Brilliant thank you for your help!
Reply 17
Original post by Izzones
-snip-

Any idea when the gym first opens in a morning? In an ideal world I'd be able to get some cardio done before taking the bus to uni, but I'm not sure if that'll be possible.
Reply 18
Original post by AH127
Any idea when the gym first opens in a morning? In an ideal world I'd be able to get some cardio done before taking the bus to uni, but I'm not sure if that'll be possible.

I didn't really use the gym but on the Leeds accommodation website it says it's open 8am-9pm :smile:
Reply 19
Does the Liberty dock gym work together with the campus one? Because that membership comes with the accommodation but your access is limited, which, in that case, I would upgrade. But if the Liberty dock one can be accessed all day and weekends etc then I wouldn't bother upgrading

Quick Reply

Latest