The Student Room Group

A level Choices

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AJC1997
My advice would be to definitely not do Maths, the most important thing to make sure before studying at any level is that you enjoy and want to do the subject(s). Never study something just because other people have told you to do so or because it's a popular subject.

If you're goal is to become a languages teacher then those subjects look good to me, other considerations might be History or English (either).

Thanks so much for your advice! What about if I don't achieve my goal - are those subjects still okay to get me other places?
While Classics might not be as well known to students as Maths or English, it is well known to unis - its on Cambridge's list of good A Level subjects and it offers a brilliant foundation in analysis (giving you an advantage over those doing Maths) and also it just teaches you loads of cultural stuff and is in general a good choice in relation to languages -would highly recommend!
Are you good at Maths - if you are not, do not take it - buty if you are - Maths is the a level which will get you into what ever you want to go into. Don't bother if you are mediocre though.
If you are questionning it - you are no good at maths - is that correct? do not bother then.
Reply 24
Original post by sandragail
If you are questionning it - you are no good at maths - is that correct? do not bother then.

That's the thing. I'm good at it - near the top of my year - and just feel like everyone is pressuring me into it because I'm good at it. Like if I was only mediocre, they'd let me do what I want!!
If you are VERY good at MATHS - and I mean really good at maths i.e. A* level in further maths, than you should take mathematics at degree level because when you have a good degree from a good university in maths, you can do what ever job you like. If you are not that good, then don't bother.
You do Maths when it is easy - if it is really easy, then do it bev=cause you get into the best jobs with little effort. Good Luck.
I now see your earlier posts and I feel that you really would not want to do maths as a subject - go with the languages, etc, iy really isn't the route you seem to want to take. Even though a maths degree would open up many avenues for you, given what you want to do, you should not pursue this route. Mant hopes with your chosen route.
Original post by hannahly
I'm hoping to become a languages teacher, so obviously I'll be doing french and german for two of my A levels. I'm not sure about the other two though! I was thinking Classical Civilisation and Economics, but my parents aren't happy with that and say I need to do Maths so I "have a backup".. I'm not planning on needing a backup, but anyway...do I need to do maths or do you think CC and Economics are good enough backups?

Only do subjects you enjoy. There is nothing worse than hating an A Level and just sticking with it till you get an E or drop it. Seriously happens a lot. Especially wirh Marhs.

You want to teach languages. You have French and German, you don't need a backup!

Parents can often be the hardest parts of A Level...
Reply 29
Original post by OriginalLifelin
Only do subjects you enjoy. There is nothing worse than hating an A Level and just sticking with it till you get an E or drop it. Seriously happens a lot. Especially wirh Marhs.

You want to teach languages. You have French and German, you don't need a backup!

Parents can often be the hardest parts of A Level...

Thanks! And so true about parents :smile:
Reply 30
hi i have absolutely what i want to do but i am thinking of doing sociology, classical civillisation and media studies or english language as because of the a level reform i can only choose 3 subjects.

I definitely want to do classical civillisation , no doubt in my mind however i want to do a soft subject like media studies for a breather but i have been told it is a huge risk as there are only 3 subjects.

Also is sociology a soft subject.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks ?
Reply 31
Original post by nats65
hi i have absolutely what i want to do but i am thinking of doing sociology, classical civillisation and media studies or english language as because of the a level reform i can only choose 3 subjects.

I definitely want to do classical civillisation , no doubt in my mind however i want to do a soft subject like media studies for a breather but i have been told it is a huge risk as there are only 3 subjects.

Also is sociology a soft subject.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks ?

If you can only do three, then you definitely need to do English. Most unis recommend that you only do one soft subject - for your fourth choice! So you definitely shouldn't do two soft ones when you only have 3 subjects
Reply 32
Original post by hannahly
If you can only do three, then you definitely need to do English. Most unis recommend that you only do one soft subject - for your fourth choice! So you definitely shouldn't do two soft ones when you only have 3 subjects

Hi thanks but so is sociology a soft subject ?
Reply 33
Original post by nats65
Hi thanks but so is sociology a soft subject ?

I'm not sure, sorry. My school doesnt offer it

Quick Reply

Latest