The Student Room Group

I'm planning on ending things with him, but first I need to check

Hi people :smile:

So, I'm completely fed up with my relationship with this guy I've been seeing for a couple of years. I don't know how to label this relationship - it's s strange one. Anyway, I ended contact with him back in April, asking him to leave me alone because I was going through a rough time and was sick of all the neglect. All of my friends were there for me during that time and regularly checked up. Him? Not even once. I went for two months of no contact and was starting to finally feel good about the though of never speaking to him again. Then he finally broke NC and got in touch, and like an idiot I gave in.

For the first month after that he was much better behaved. We live in different cities now due to my moving but I planned on visiting him soon and he would always call, text and check up regularly. Then after I while it seemed like I was making most of the effort so I stopped texting first to see how long it would take him. This guy claims to have feelings for me and he has now gone 2 weeks without texting or calling.

For me this is the last straw. I was hurt cried about my own stupidity for letting him into my life again but now I'm calm. Tonight I will tell him that I want to end all contact, and for good this time. I will also block his number and block him on social media so that he can't contact me again. I want to make sure that he didn't have a valid reason not to contact me all this time though (but I'm fairly certain that he doesn't). So, what should I do before dropping the bomb to make sure that he hasn't been grieving for a dead family member or friend or something?

Scroll to see replies

Ask him directly. Say you're fed up with his lack of contact, but if there's been something on his mind then you'd like to hear the genuine reason why he wouldn't' speak to you for weeks on end. If he doesn't have one, then you say bye.
Honestly I'd break up with him either way, it sounds doomed.
Communication is key. Ask him. :smile:
Either way, end it
Original post by Anonymous

So, I'm completely fed up with my relationship with this guy I've been seeing for a couple of years. I don't know how to label this relationship - it's s strange one. Anyway, I ended contact with him back in April, asking him to leave me alone because I was going through a rough time and was sick of all the neglect. All of my friends were there for me during that time and regularly checked up. Him? Not even once. I went for two months of no contact and was starting to finally feel good about the though of never speaking to him again. Then he finally broke NC and got in touch, and like an idiot I gave in.

For the first month after that he was much better behaved. We live in different cities now due to my moving but I planned on visiting him soon and he would always call, text and check up regularly. Then after I while it seemed like I was making most of the effort so I stopped texting first to see how long it would take him. This guy claims to have feelings for me and he has now gone 2 weeks without texting or calling.

For me this is the last straw. I was hurt cried about my own stupidity for letting him into my life again but now I'm calm. Tonight I will tell him that I want to end all contact, and for good this time. I will also block his number and block him on social media so that he can't contact me again. I want to make sure that he didn't have a valid reason not to contact me all this time though (but I'm fairly certain that he doesn't). So, what should I do before dropping the bomb to make sure that he hasn't been grieving for a dead family member or friend or something?

Your relationship died a long time ago.

Just cut him off completely and ell him you want to move on , so you have decided zero contyact is whats needed. Dont just block him delete him and all ability to contact him. The only thing I cna think of is the unlikely event eitehr of you owes money or has possessions of the other.

He really wont be that botheredand will move on , so you dont need to dwell on soemthing that wasnt great and you should move on as well.
Reply 5
End it, it's not like you haven't tried to salvage the situation. It seems you'd both be better off seeing other people anyway. Ask him why there's been no contact, tell him he wasn't there for you when you needed him most (which is key in a relationship) and that this is why you're ending things. Stay firm, don't give in.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Your relationship died a long time ago.

Just cut him off completely and ell him you want to move on , so you have decided zero contyact is whats needed. Dont just block him delete him and all ability to contact him. The only thing I cna think of is the unlikely event eitehr of you owes money or has possessions of the other.

He really wont be that botheredand will move on , so you dont need to dwell on soemthing that wasnt great and you should move on as well.

Thanks, there really is nothing left for me in whatever this relationship is and I was much better off during those two months when there was no contact. I wasn't getting sad and beating myself up about a stupid decision that I made. I want to go back to that :smile:

Anyway, I ended contact with him back in April, asking him to leave me alone because I was going through a rough time and was sick of all the neglect. All of my friends were there for me during that time and regularly checked up. Him? Not even once.

So you told him to leave you alone, then were annoyed that he didn't contact you for a period of time, and now you're annoyed because he has contacted you? What did you actually want from him?

For the record the guy sounds like an idiot and you should definitely break up, but you seem to want to play games instead of actually communicating what you want.
Thanks, there really is nothing left for me in whatever this relationship is and I was much better off during those two months when there was no contact. I wasn't getting sad and beating myself up about a stupid decision that I made. I want to go back to that :smile:

Just finish it completely if you are that unhappy, no need for games.
Reply 9
So you told him to leave you alone, then were annoyed that he didn't contact you for a period of time, and now you're annoyed because he has contacted you? What did you actually want from him?

For the record the guy sounds like an idiot and you should definitely break up, but you seem to want to play games instead of actually communicating what you want.

No, I told him to leave me alone back in April and he did for 2 months, I was happy with that. Then he contacted again me after those two months, and I should have ignored him but I didn't. So we stayed in regular contact after that for a month, until it got worse and worse, to the point that he hasn't called or texted for two weeks.

I certainly am not playing games, which is why I am ending things for good this time.
No, I told him to leave me alone back in April and he did for 2 months, I was happy with that. Then he contacted again me after those two months, and I should have ignored him but I didn't. So we stayed in regular contact after that for a month, until it got worse and worse, to the point that he hasn't called or texted for two weeks.

I certainly am not playing games, which is why I am ending things for good this time.

I don't know...

1) You told him never to contact him again. He didn't. Then you got mad at him for doing what you wanted

2) you're purposefully not contacting him for 2 weeks waiting for him to do it first, then get mad at him when he doesn't. Sounds like games to me

So while he's not very sensitive in the first place, you're clearly not a match for each other. Break up!
Original post by Another
I don't know...

1) You told him never to contact him again. He didn't. Then you got mad at him for doing what you wanted

2) you're purposefully not contacting him for 2 weeks waiting for him to do it first, then get mad at him when he doesn't. Sounds like games to me

So while he's not very sensitive in the first place, you're clearly not a match for each other. Break up!

No

1) I told him not to contact me again, he didn't for two months after which he did, then we rekindled our "relationship". What's making me angry is that after we resumed this "relationship", he has started to neglect me again. This proves that I made a mistake by letting he into my life.

2) That's because I got tired of initiating contact, and suspected that it would take him a long time to contact me if I didn't. This only confirmed my suspicions, and that I need to end things now.
No

1) I told him not to contact me again, he didn't for two months after which he did, then we rekindled our "relationship". What's making me angry is that after we resumed this "relationship", he has started to neglect me again. This proves that I made a mistake by letting he into my life.

2) That's because I got tired of initiating contact, and suspected that it would take him a long time to contact me if I didn't. This only confirmed my suspicions, and that I need to end things now.

All the more reason to stop all contact and move on then?
Reply 13
Ive recently been through a similar thing! You can keep going round in circles of communicating and then not communicating but ultimately they're not going to change. If you felt better during those two months of no contact and he's causing you so much grief now he's back in your life, then I think it's a no brainer to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rock Fan
All the more reason to stop all contact and move on then?

Yes, I will do that tonight. I just wanted to check first to make sure that he didn't have a valid reason such as a family member dying or being really sick (though I doubt it - he always tells me when these things happen because he knows I'll comfort him). To be honest, even in the unlikely event that there is a valid reason, I will still end things because I know I deserve better.
Sounds like more trouble than its worth.
No

Ah right, thanks for clarifying

And yeah, sounds like both of you are poorly matched/want different things from a relationship. He doesn't seem to find a problem with not contacting you with 2 weeks, when you need more attention. Y'all need to be seeing other people

There are impoertant lessons for you to learn.
How long to hang on and when to move on.
You seem your own worst enemy in some respects from having let it drag on. Flogging a dead horse.
How to interpret what a soon to be ex says and does.
Are you sleeping together since you got back? If you are then it could be simply that, he tells you what you wnat to hear and it all becomes easy and convenienet for him for a while. You need to recognise the sincere from the users.

You also need to start being realistic and recognise when someone is not as into you as you are them.
Original post by 999tigger
There are impoertant lessons for you to learn.
How long to hang on and when to move on.
You seem your own worst enemy in some respects from having let it drag on. Flogging a dead horse.
How to interpret what a soon to be ex says and does.
Are you sleeping together since you got back? If you are then it could be simply that, he tells you what you wnat to hear and it all becomes easy and convenienet for him for a while. You need to recognise the sincere from the users.

You also need to start being realistic and recognise when someone is not as into you as you are them.

Yes, it's crucial that I never make the same mistake again with anyone else. I have to look out for the warning signs before getting too attached. My concern is that I might become rather paranoid in the next relationship, but that beats going through something like this again.

We haven't had sex since he made contact again in June but we have sexted and it was going to happen during my planned visit (which definitely isn't happening anymore). So I suppose that he believed he was going to get sex sometime in the near future.
Yes, it's crucial that I never make the same mistake again with anyone else. I have to look out for the warning signs before getting too attached. My concern is that I might become rather paranoid in the next relationship, but that beats going through something like this again.

We haven't had sex since he made contact again in June but we have sexted and it was going to happen during my planned visit (which definitely isn't happening anymore). So I suppose that he believed he was going to get sex sometime in the near future.

Its just about finding balance, open minded, but not deluded. Juts improve each time. Trust people but dont be foolish and if things dont add up then ask yourself why. This is why one of the importnat things is having genuine good communication and knowing the difference when some is just telling you what you wnat to hear.

I cant know for certain what he's like plus I only have your version. What you have is unlikely to improve and you shouldnt sleep with him becayse that makes it more complicated for you to get over. Everyone has to learn, my point is just accpet it as a learning experience and it cna be valuable if it helps hone your skills for next time..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending