The Student Room Group

Dot and cross diagram need help

1471952565823-29575917.jpgHave I done this right? It seems a bit different from the other diagrams I found. Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't think you've attached anything for anyone to look at...
Reply 2
Original post by hxfsxh
I don't think you've attached anything for anyone to look at...

Just uploaded it, didn't expect a speedy reply. Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by coconut64
Just uploaded it, didn't expect a speedy reply. Thanks

What exactly are we looking at? The hydroxides look okay, so does the (I'm guessing) calcium.
Reply 4
Original post by alow
What exactly are we looking at? The hydroxides look okay, so does the (I'm guessing) calcium.

Sorry this is just rough work, this is a dot and cross diagram for Ca(OH)2. So I have done it right?
Reply 5
Sorry this is just rough work, this is a dot and cross diagram for Ca(OH)2. So I have done it right?

I'd say so. Why do you think it isn't okay?
Reply 6
Ca(OH)2 diagram.bmp
Original post by alow
I'd say so. Why do you think it isn't okay?

Hi, this picture seems to show that there is a dative covalent bond between O and H but in my diagram it is a covalent bond so H shares electrons with O. In the picture there are 2 crosses between o and H but in mine it is a dot and a cross.

The next part of the question ask how many moles of electrons are there in the Oh- ions in this compound. From my diagram, I can only see that there are 8 electrons in the Oh- ion, but the answer is 10 which I am really confused about.

Thanks
Reply 7
Ca(OH)2 diagram.bmp

Hi, this picture seems to show that there is a dative covalent bond between O and H but in my diagram it is a covalent bond so H shares electrons with O. In the picture it is 2 dots between o and H but in mine it is a dot and a cross.

The next part of the question ask how many moles of electrons are there in the Oh- ions in this compound. From my diagram, I can only see that there are 8 electrons in the Oh- ion, but the answer is 10 which I am really confused about.

Thanks

Yeah the O-H bond definitely should have 1 electron from the hydrogen. The Ca only gives two electrons in total, one to each hydroxide.

What's the exact wording of the question?
Reply 8
Original post by alow
Yeah the O-H bond definitely should have 1 electron from the hydrogen. The Ca only gives two electrons in total, one to each hydroxide.

Great. So I believe I have drawn it correctly?
Reply 9
Great. So I believe I have drawn it correctly?

Yeah.
Reply 10
Original post by alow

chem question.pdf I am referring to 2b in this picture where it asks about the Ca(Oh)2 compound. I know that there are 3 moles of ions in this compound but I don't get next part of the question 2biii)

Thanks !
Reply 11
chem question.pdf I am referring to 2b in this picture where it asks about the Ca(Oh)2 compound. I know that there are 3 moles of ions in this compound but I don't get next part of the question 2biii)

Thanks !

Think about the electron configuration of oxygen. There are 8 valence electrons in a hydroxide ion, but those aren't the only electrons.
Reply 12
Original post by alow
Think about the electron configuration of oxygen. There are 8 valence electrons in a hydroxide ion, but those aren't the only electrons.

Right. So Oh- ion has 8 electrons but since oxygen has 2 more electrons in its inner shell, this is why it adds up to 10?
Reply 13
Right. So Oh- ion has 8 electrons but since oxygen has 2 more electrons in its inner shell, this is why it adds up to 10?

Exactly.
Reply 14
Original post by alow
Exactly.

I don't really get what it actually means by one mole of electrons. Initially, I just did 1*6.02*10^23, do you only do it when it asks for number of atoms in the ions?
Reply 15
I don't really get what it actually means by one mole of electrons. Initially, I just did 1*6.02*10^23, do you only do it when it asks for number of atoms in the ions?

A mole is just an amount. You could have a mole of elephants or a mole of bananas.

So when you're asked how many moles of something there are in a mole of a compound it's just a case of counting them.
Reply 16
Original post by alow
A mole is just an amount. You could have a mole of elephants or a mole of bananas.

So when you're asked how many moles of something there are in a mole of a compound it's just a case of counting them.

Thanks so much.
Reply 17
Thanks so much.

No worries :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest