The Student Room Group

Remarks for A2 exams 2016 ?!

Scroll to see replies

Thanks
Reply 21
Original post by Compost
Depends a lot on the exam board but if it's already been submitted I'd generally expect it back within 2 weeks.

Thanks! I'll spam the exams officer when it's been 2 weeks :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Sacred Ground
Hey mate - how did you do? Did you get into your firm?

Hey , I got into my firm yes ( off to Notts to study maths ) but still wanna get this damn English remarked as the C in the A2 exam looks alarmingly low :/
Would like everyone to know that I got my remark back. I was 2UMS that's 1.2 actual marks of a B. I DIDN'T get it. Probably due to the new stupid system.

It really is unfair, since it can screw people's lives up.

Is there anything I can do to possibly get that mark???????
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thegoon2013
Would like everyone to know that I got my remark back. I was 2UMS that's 1.2 actual marks of a B. I DIDN'T get it. Probably due to the new stupid system.

Which subject?
Original post by ukcolBehT
Which subject?

Edexcel English lit unit 3
Yep, just got both my Geography papers back and mark remained unchanged. 1.5 raw marks away from an A. So pissed off that the year I sit my A levels has to be the year they implement this new system, it's just not fair.

Your mark didn't change at all? I'm waiting for an English lit remark too (OCR) :s
Yes guys, don't expect to see any changes in UMS or marks whatsoever.

New system means that your papers won't even get "remarked" - just "reviewed" and changes only occurring if the marking was stupendously in accurate. If it was a little bit or just somewhat inaccurate you will see 0 change in mark regardless cos examiners don't give af.

I'm going to appeal my mark and take all procedures availble to make sure my paper actually gets remarked and given its just grade.

There is absolutely no way that highest mark for English Literature in my school was a mid B, when I along with a few of my class peers were scoring A*'s all year and we further improved since then to consolidate the A*.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Windies

New system means that your papers won't even get "remarked" - just "reviewed" and changes only occurring if the marking was stupendously in accurate. If it was a little bit or just somewhat inaccurate you will see 0 change in mark regardless cos examiners don't give af.

I'm going to appeal my mark and take all procedures availble to make sure my paper actually gets remarked and given its just grade.

There is absolutely no way that highest mark for English Literature in my school was a mid B, when I along with a few of my class peers were scoring A*'s all year and we further improved since then to consolidate the A*.

I got 95/120 ums (54/60 marks) in English lit exam which was a B and needed 100/120 (56/60) for A*. imo the difference between a B and an A* is stupendous but the UMS difference is tiny so probs no hope :frown:

also missed my Firm uni offer cos of this......feeling crushed
(edited 7 years ago)
I honestly don't get why this system has been enforced. Apparently it's to make it more 'fair' to those who go to state schools... Well I go to a state school and I fail to see the fairness. :s-smilie:

Like it's honestly a joke, 85 marks worth of essays and not even 1 was changed? And also, surely the fact that they've had to implement this new system implies that the old one was unfair(which I don't think it was), in which case why haven't they stated that people getting remarks before this year were at an unfair advantage. Just pisses me off, have to retake 60% of an AS because they couldn't find 1.5 of a mark within my writing which I should have achieved anyway since my teacher is an ex-examiner and I was consistently working at a high A.
First they get rid of Jan exams, now they reform the remark regulations. What more are they going to do to screw everyone over.
First they get rid of Jan exams, now they reform the remark regulations. What more are they going to do to screw everyone over.

This pissed me off too. Apparently it was because it 'distracts people from learning in their other subjects', but I think it's going to be way worse having to sit 3 whole A levels (because of this stupid reformed linear A levels) all at the same time. Who are they to judge how different people effectively learn - it at least should be an option for those who feel like they can do so without jeopardising their other subjects rather than banning it completely.
As I'm sure many of you do, I think it is beyond a joke that not only they rid the majority of subject of exams that count at the end of the first year meaning some/a lot of people next year will be going into June of their second year with god knows how many exams and all 3 of their a levels being (exc coursework) decided in this single period. And on top of this they decide to eliminate the opportunity for people to challenge unfair marks which we know from prior years happens far more often than it should. This and next years second year a level students have a real tough time. It's genuinely shameful.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Windies

What can you do to appeal? My exams officer is being pretty bloody useless!
Original post by ninapudding
I honestly don't get why this system has been enforced. Apparently it's to make it more 'fair' to those who go to state schools... Well I go to a state school and I fail to see the fairness. :s-smilie:

Like it's honestly a joke, 85 marks worth of essays and not even 1 was changed? And also, surely the fact that they've had to implement this new system implies that the old one was unfair(which I don't think it was), in which case why haven't they stated that people getting remarks before this year were at an unfair advantage. Just pisses me off, have to retake 60% of an AS because they couldn't find 1.5 of a mark within my writing which I should have achieved anyway since my teacher is an ex-examiner and I was consistently working at a high A.

Bring your script back, identify marks, if higher, appeal.
Original post by Windies
Bring your script back, identify marks, if higher, appeal.

Who will I get to do that? My teacher?

I don't see how that will help, if he thinks they should be upped by seven UMS,
According to the new regulations it doesn't make a difference. So what will it achieve?
Who will I get to do that? My teacher?

I don't see how that will help, if he thinks they should be upped by seven UMS,
According to the new regulations it doesn't make a difference. So what will it achieve?

Lodging a formal appeal is different to a remark.
If you believe you have a strong basis against the given mark and believe it should be overturned then you would go for the appeal but it is costly.
Original post by Windies

New system means that your papers won't even get "remarked" - just "reviewed" and changes only occurring if the marking was stupendously in accurate. If it was a little bit or just somewhat inaccurate you will see 0 change in mark regardless cos examiners don't give af..

Formally it's been called a 'review of marking' for years. You also grossly misrepresent what has changed. Any definite error in marking will still be corrected and I have seen several successful re-marks already across a range of subjects.
Original post by Windies
I'm going to appeal my mark and take all procedures availble to make sure my paper actually gets remarked and given its just grade..

I'm afraid that only the head of centre can appeal so you will have to persuade your head to do it. Bizarrely, not agreeing with the marking on the re-mark is not a reason for appealing. They are running a trial this year to make this an allowable reason to appeal but the trial does not include English Literature.
Original post by Compost
Formally it's been called a 'review of marking' for years. You also grossly misrepresent what has changed. Any definite error in marking will still be corrected and I have seen several successful re-marks already across a range of subjects.

What was the outcome of the successful remarks you speak of? How many more marks were they awarded/what did their grade go up to?

Quick Reply

Latest