The Student Room Group

Having a dog is making life difficult

Posted in this section because I'd like to stay anon or delete please :smile:

*First and foremost, I know I'll probably be judged with this thread, please keep in mind that I absolutely love my dog, he gives me a lot of happiness, I wouldn't change him for the world and I'd never let him go.*

During my gap year before uni, I got myself a little dog. I love him to bits, but I don't think I realised at the time how much having a dog could impact my life in one particular aspect. I knew I was going to commute to university, so I knew I wouldn't have a problem there, and I just became obsessed with the idea of getting my own dog.

However in my naivety, I really did not realise how much of an impact having a dog would have on renting my own home. I thought it might be a little more difficult, but I have found it impossible. For my final year of uni I considered moving out, however I searched and searched and searched, and barely found one place that allowed me to take my dog :frown:

I'd phone rental agents, and whenever I mentioned a dog they'd turn cold and would lose interest completely. After weeks and weeks and weeks of searching, I found a total of two possible places that considered dogs. One was an absolute dive in a really dodgy part of town, and another was actually pretty nice but too far out of the centre.

I understand why to an extent, I've seen how much damage dogs can do. But my dog has never damaged a thing in his life, not even a sock. All through his puppy years he didn't damage a thing. He's a poodle so he doesn't moult. And I am such a clean and tidy person. I feel like I could be a lot more tidy than another person without a dog, but that doesn't matter. I'd even offer to pay a substantial deposit incase he causes damage, but people just aren't interested.

I just don't know what to do. I feel like I'm stuck living with my mum and her partner. I'd like to study a Masters at some point, but I can just see me getting an offer and then finding it impossible to find a place to live.

Anyone else had similar experiences and can offer any advice? I love every part of owning a dog, I'm not a lazy owner who's simply bored of her dog, but this is really causing a struggle.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

*First and foremost, I know I'll probably be judged with this thread, please keep in mind that I absolutely love my dog, he gives me a lot of happiness, I wouldn't change him for the world and I'd never let him go.*

During my gap year before uni, I got myself a little dog. I love him to bits, but I don't think I realised at the time how much having a dog could impact my life in one particular aspect. I knew I was going to commute to university, so I knew I wouldn't have a problem there, and I just became obsessed with the idea of getting my own dog.

However in my naivety, I really did not realise how much of an impact having a dog would have on renting my own home. I thought it might be a little more difficult, but I have found it impossible. For my final year of uni I considered moving out, however I searched and searched and searched, and barely found one place that allowed me to take my dog :frown:

I'd phone rental agents, and whenever I mentioned a dog they'd turn cold and would lose interest completely. After weeks and weeks and weeks of searching, I found a total of two possible places that considered dogs. One was an absolute dive in a really dodgy part of town, and another was actually pretty nice but too far out of the centre.

I understand why to an extent, I've seen how much damage dogs can do. But my dog has never damaged a thing in his life, not even a sock. All through his puppy years he didn't damage a thing. He's a poodle so he doesn't moult. And I am such a clean and tidy person. I feel like I could be a lot more tidy than another person without a dog, but that doesn't matter. I'd even offer to pay a substantial deposit incase he causes damage, but people just aren't interested.

I just don't know what to do. I feel like I'm stuck living with my mum and her partner. I'd like to study a Masters at some point, but I can just see me getting an offer and then finding it impossible to find a place to live.

Anyone else had similar experiences and can offer any advice? I love every part of owning a dog, I'm not a lazy owner who's simply bored of her dog, but this is really causing a struggle.

Keep the dog with your mum?
Reply 2
Who in their right mind gets a dog before going to uni? I wouldn't comment on this if you hadn't been so defensive in your post and clearly don't see what you did was wrong.

Getting a dog should be considered a light version of having a baby. That is a life that depends on you for food, shelter and company. You shouldn't have one until you are already in a long term rental that allows dogs 100% OR in your own home. You should be finacially stable (not a student ffs unless you are loaded) and with enough free time to look after it.

You clealy have realised that it is difficult to rent with a dog (although I would have thought that would be obvious to anyone with a bit of common sense and foresight) so I won't go on about that. I don't really know what you are asking for. Absolution from the guilt of sending it to a shelter? Because you shouldn't get that. Your only real options are stay at home with your parents, keep trying to find a rental that allows dogs or finding a loving home for it. That means finding the home yourself and making 100% sure to the best of your ability that it will be a good home for that dog.
Reply 3
Original post by Moura
Who in their right mind gets a dog before going to uni? I wouldn't comment on this if you hadn't been so defensive in your post and clearly don't see what you did was wrong.

Getting a dog should be considered a light version of having a baby. That is a life that depends on you for food, shelter and company. You shouldn't have one until you are already in a long term rental that allows dogs 100% OR in your own home. You should be finacially stable (not a student ffs unless you are loaded) and with enough free time to look after it.

You clealy have realised that it is difficult to rent with a dog (although I would have thought that would be obvious to anyone with a bit of common sense and foresight) so I won't go on about that. I don't really know what you are asking for. Absolution from the guilt of sending it to a shelter? Because you shouldn't get that. Your only real options are stay at home with your parents, keep trying to find a rental that allows dogs or finding a loving home for it. That means finding the home yourself and making 100% sure to the best of your ability that it will be a good home for that dog.

Excuse me? Did I not say I was very naive in not realising the difficulty in finding a rental? You have no idea about my life so please do not judge.

I think you need to re-read my post.
I knew I was going to commute to uni, so having a dog was absolutely no issue throughout my degree course.

I am a graduate, I've done uni. And I also specifically said that I would never let my dog go. He is with me for life. How did you not see that? I also do not need to be patronised by being told that a dog needs food and shelter, I've had him 4 years now, do you not think I ****ing now that.

Thank you for your incredibly judgemental, completely unhelpful reply. What a waste of yours and my time.
Reply 4
Original post by RichardSkew
Keep the dog with your mum?

My mum has a partner who hates dogs unfortunately. I think otherwise she would offer because she loves dogs and when I bought the dog four years ago, she wanted him just as much as I did. But a lot has changed since then.

I also feel like I would really much rather keep him with me. I just can't believe how difficult it is finding a home for us both.
Reply 5
Personally I think toy poodles should be the one exception to the "no dogs" rule. Unfortunately, not many other people agree :frown:

Do you have any family members or friends who could keep your dog, just for one year? Otherwise, how far out of town centre is the second flat, because I think that's going to be your best bet
well there are places which will allow dogs as you've found... it's just going to mean that you will spend longer looking and will probably have to make some compromises on what you want

when I was looking for places there were a small number of pets allowed places (with additional deposit) although they were few and far between and definitely no house shares, might also be worth looking on gumtree where you'll have more casual landlords?
Reply 7
I feel for you :frown: i have no helpful advice, but I hope you find somewhere :frown:

So many people are going to jump at you with the whole "a dog is for life" claims, but your not trying to get rid of your pooch, your just struggling to move out with him.

I would personally keep looking on websites specifically advertising rental for dogs and pets, you may have better success there x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Goaded
I feel for you :frown: i have no helpful advice, but I hope you find somewhere :frown:

Thank you :smile: I hope so too!

Original post by doodle_333
well there are places which will allow dogs as you've found... it's just going to mean that you will spend longer looking and will probably have to make some compromises on what you want

when I was looking for places there were a small number of pets allowed places (with additional deposit) although they were few and far between and definitely no house shares, might also be worth looking on gumtree where you'll have more casual landlords?

Yeah that's true. I'm just going to have to give myself a lot of time to find a place, I'll have to be relentless. That's a good idea actually, and with gumtree I suppose you see the landlord face to face when you view the house. So it might be easier to encourage them that I'm a clean, tidy person.
Original post by Another
Personally I think toy poodles should be the one exception to the "no dogs" rule. Unfortunately, not many other people agree :frown:

Do you have any family members or friends who could keep your dog, just for one year? Otherwise, how far out of town centre is the second flat, because I think that's going to be your best bet

He's the cleanest little thing bless him. If only people could see that!

I think that's going to be my best bet too. When I was looking for flats during uni I wanted to live close to the uni, but now I'm older I wouldn't mind living further out of the city. And I think the further out you go the less competitive it is, so I'm hoping (praying) that it might be easier.

I know my friend rented a place for a year and then asked her landlord if she could get a dog. They did an inspection, saw she's a tidy tenant and agreed. So may worst case scenario would also be to move into a place for a few months and request for a dog and hope they agree.

It's so frustrating because I'm such a clean person and my little dog would make no difference to the house. But when I've said to landlords about him they've recalled how they've had nightmares with owners having pets in the past who have wrecked the place.
Original post by Natalierm2707
So many people are going to jump at you with the whole "a dog is for life" claims, but your not trying to get rid of your pooch, your just struggling to move out with him.

I would personally keep looking on websites specifically advertising rental for dogs and pets, you may have better success there x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know I thought that might be the case :tongue: I mean yes I now see that it probably wasn't the best time for me to get a dog, but he's been my little rock when I've gone through some tough times so I in no way regret him.

Thanks, I'll just have to be persistent I suppose!
Ok in this situation if you have asked before I would have told you. Youve found out how much more difficult it makes things.

I would have 3 approaches.

1. There are some sites that have pet friendly landlords. This may not be the best but there are others, which you may or may not have looked at. Obviously they will have extreme reservations if its say a flat and its easier for most LL's to just say no.
http://www.letswithpets.org.uk/

2. It might help if you look into accidentla pet dmagae insurance. Its something you cna tell your LL you are willing to take out.
http://www.gocompare.com/pet-insurance/accidental-damage/

3. The person who makes the decision is the LL and not the agent, so maybe go for LL rents who arent through an agent. Make a brief statement about your pet along with any testimonials from previous lL's and point out the fact never done any damage etc. Make a bideo to show how small , well behaved and clean he is.
(edited 7 years ago)
My mum has a partner who hates dogs unfortunately. I think otherwise she would offer because she loves dogs and when I bought the dog four years ago, she wanted him just as much as I did. But a lot has changed since then.

I also feel like I would really much rather keep him with me. I just can't believe how difficult it is finding a home for us both.

I had no idea how difficult it is. You have my sympathies. Do you use reddit? try asking in the towns subreddit (which ever town you live in)

Aswell as all the other advice given about looking for places that take pets you should also write your own advert on a small piece of paper with your phone number on it and a short explanation about how clean and tidy you and your poodle are and put it in the local newsagents shop window in the area you want to live in asking to rent accomodation or shared accomodation. I think it only costs £1 50 or put it anywhere where there are notice boards. In the supermarkets they used to have noticeboards where people write their own adverts for all types of things like looking for accomodation, looking for work, selling their items, etc and this was free so check any supermarkets for this.
It's worth trying just to see what happens because most people love dogs and someone might even contact you if they know about other accomodation that allows dogs.
If you don't find any place for your dog you should plead with your mum again because just because her partner does not like dogs that's his problem. Your mum should consider your feelings first over him and it's not as if it's a bloody pit bull and he's been living with the dog before.
Or maybe you can write your own advert on gumtree but it costs a lot i think, maybe it was £40 but i'm not sure exactly as i was considering this when looking for a particular job i wanted to do but i did not want to pay that much until i have it to spare.
Original post by RichardSkew
I had no idea how difficult it is. You have my sympathies. Do you use reddit? try asking in the towns subreddit (which ever town you live in)

I think it's because the rental market is so competitive, because so many people just can't afford to buy their own homes. My sister was looking for a flat in the same town and it was difficult enough, many times the flat would be gone before you even got to view it, even if you phoned the day it was advertised. So they can get away with being choosy.

I don't use Reddit but I'll definitely look into that, I didn't think of that thanks! :smile:

Original post by Judge Judy
Aswell as all the other advice given about looking for places that take pets you should also write your own advert on a small piece of paper with your phone number on it and a short explanation about how clean and tidy you and your poodle are and put it in the local newsagents shop window in the area you want to live in asking to rent accomodation or shared accomodation. I think it only costs £1 50 or put it anywhere where there are notice boards. In the supermarkets they used to have noticeboards where people write their own adverts for all types of things like looking for accomodation, looking for work, selling their items, etc and this was free so check any supermarkets for this.
It's worth trying just to see what happens because most people love dogs and someone might even contact you if they know about other accomodation that allows dogs.
If you don't find any place for your dog you should plead with your mum again because just because her partner does not like dogs that's his problem. Your mum should consider your feelings first over him and it's not as if it's a bloody pit bull and he's been living with the dog before.
Or maybe you can write your own advert on gumtree but it costs a lot i think, maybe it was £40 but i'm not sure exactly as i was considering this when looking for a particular job i wanted to do but i did not want to pay that much until i have it to spare.

That's a good idea actually, thanks. :smile: I have actually seen adverts on Gumtree before from people with dogs searching for a home, I've always wondered if they were successful, it's definitely worth a shot isn't it. I mean there must be some dog lover landlords out there who would take pity on me. A part of me is tempted to invite them to come to my current home and see how clean it is with my dog. :tongue:

I know it is a bit frustrating, but I think I'd feel awful leaving my dog and moving out anyway. If he was more the family dog I wouldn't mind so much, but he's my little shadow around the house, he doesn't bother so much with anyone else. I think worst case scenario if I really can't find anywhere to take us both he'd have to stay with my mum until I can afford to buy my own home. But that'd be worst case.

When I read about it online, a lot of people say they've ended up just not telling the landlord and sneaking their dog in. But if I did that I know I'd be on edge all the time, I'd be paranoid, and if I get found out they're just going to be more annoyed with the situation because I've lied to them.
Reply 16
Excuse me? Did I not say I was very naive in not realising the difficulty in finding a rental? You have no idea about my life so please do not judge.

I think you need to re-read my post.
I knew I was going to commute to uni, so having a dog was absolutely no issue throughout my degree course.

I am a graduate, I've done uni. And I also specifically said that I would never let my dog go. He is with me for life. How did you not see that? I also do not need to be patronised by being told that a dog needs food and shelter, I've had him 4 years now, do you not think I ****ing now that.

Thank you for your incredibly judgemental, completely unhelpful reply. What a waste of yours and my time.

what has me knowing about your life got to do with it being an extremely bad idea getting a dog before university?

That's great, you knew for the next 3 years of your life you were going to live at home and commte. what about the other 10 years? You are going to live at home forever? Until you're in a stable environment you shouldn't get a dog. Being at uni and living with your parents is not a stable environment.

Yes it is a judgmental post because I think getting a dog when you have no plan or foresight causing problems like this is very unfair on the dog and it happens FAR too often.

I laid out the options you have. What else are you looking for in a response? Why bother making this post?
Original post by Moura
what has me knowing about your life got to do with it being an extremely bad idea getting a dog before university?

That's great, you knew for the next 3 years of your life you were going to live at home and commte. what about the other 10 years? You are going to live at home forever? Until you're in a stable environment you shouldn't get a dog. Being at uni and living with your parents is not a stable environment.

Yes it is a judgmental post because I think getting a dog when you have no plan or foresight causing problems like this is very unfair on the dog and it happens FAR too often.

I laid out the options you have. What else are you looking for in a response? Why bother making this post?

Perhaps you should look at the other replies on here who were all actually helpful and understanding, and take a look at your own. You provided no advice, just insults and judgement. Good to see you take time out of your obviously very busy day to judge complete strangers over the internet.

If you have nothing of value to say (and judging by your post history, this doesn't just apply to this thread) then do not bother. The fact that you become so emotional about a stranger having a dog, is a little disconcerting, perhaps you should come back on this forum in a few years when your emotional maturity has developed a little.
Original post by Moura

Only a small individual would berate someone when they concede to having made a potential mistake. Very small indeed.

Put the dog up for adoption or give it to your mum. You don't need your life choices to be dictated by a dog, believe me once you have kids your life will be dictated enough by thinking of them that you'll wish you had your carefree child less days back

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending