The Student Room Group

Failed an AS but want to take it at A2

For AS, I did Maths, Media Studies, Photography and Spanish, and recently I got a B, 2 C's, and an E (the E being in Maths). I'm a little bit worried as to what I'm going to do about the E in Maths, because I really want to do Maths at A2, but I'm not sure that I should drop it because of my failure subsequent to results day. Can I at least do the A2, but retake the AS as well? Someone help me out here, please. Many thanks.
Original post by okocha
For AS, I did Maths, Media Studies, Photography and Spanish, and recently I got a B, 2 C's, and an E (the E being in Maths). I'm a little bit worried as to what I'm going to do about the E in Maths, because I really want to do Maths at A2, but I'm not sure that I should drop it because of my failure subsequent to results day. Can I at least do the A2, but retake the AS as well? Someone help me out here, please. Many thanks.

I think it'd be at your school/college's discretion. At my college, the policy is that if you get lower than a D, it's up to your teachers whether you can continue or not. It would be worth you finding out what the policy is where you are.
Reply 2
Original post by CatusStarbright
I think it'd be at your school/college's discretion. At my college, the policy is that if you get lower than a D, it's up to your teachers whether you can continue or not. It would be worth you finding out what the policy is where you are.

Oh okay thanks. However, I forgot to add something, and that is, basically, if you fail an AS, can you retake the modules from AS, whilst still doing it?
Reply 3
E isn't a fail

I got an E in my first year and got a C this year, and yeah I sat all 6 Maths exams. It depends are you doing something that involves Maths or are you just doing it out of pure self achievement, it's that you should evaluate because if you're getting "safe" grades which I'd call C and above in other subjects maybe you should choose those over Maths. The only reason I ended up carrying on with Maths was because I did Physics and got a U so there wasn't much choice for me.

Quick Reply

Latest