The Student Room Group

Law or Politics at university?

which degree should i pick? which one has better career prospects? I like both of them equally, what do you guys think??
Reply 1
Carer-wise I would say law because of how prestigious and versatile it is, many sectors as the banking, corporate and civil service value law but the same cannot be said fro politics. Politics has an undefined career path which makes it difficult to obtain job, there's also the fact of how over saturated the degree is, making the degree very generic and unappealing to employers. In essence, politics is a jack of all trades of degrees, it's not bad nor is it great, just average which is accompanied by average pay if you find a job in teaching or middle level employment in a company. In conclusion I would say go for politics if you seek to coast by uni without having to put much effort and content with earning sub-par pay if you're lucky or being unemployed.
Reply 2
Original post by asos98
which degree should i pick? which one has better career prospects? I like both of them equally, what do you guys think??

Have you looked more in-depth into the modules that you would be doing at some example universities? The LLB has the same core modules everywhere, criminal, EU, constitutional, land etc. Some are a hard slog of very dry material and others are great.

I did a joint honours Law and Politics LLB for a year before dropping politics and switching for straight law because the type of material was incredibly different.
Original post by mereum
Carer-wise I would say law because of how prestigious and versatile it is, many sectors as the banking, corporate and civil service value law but the same cannot be said fro politics. Politics has an undefined career path which makes it difficult to obtain job, there's also the fact of how over saturated the degree is, making the degree very generic and unappealing to employers. In essence, politics is a jack of all trades of degrees, it's not bad nor is it great, just average which is accompanied by average pay if you find a job in teaching or middle level employment in a company. In conclusion I would say go for politics if you seek to coast by uni without having to put much effort and content with earning sub-par pay if you're lucky or being unemployed.

this isn't really correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
this isn't really correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

why isnt it correct?
Reply 5
Original post by alexgilder
Have you looked more in-depth into the modules that you would be doing at some example universities? The LLB has the same core modules everywhere, criminal, EU, constitutional, land etc. Some are a hard slog of very dry material and others are great.

I did a joint honours Law and Politics LLB for a year before dropping politics and switching for straight law because the type of material was incredibly different.

Yeah most of the unis have the same modules, eu law sounds really interestimg
Original post by asos98
why isnt it correct?

Law and Politics are both open to the same set of careers, neither one is seen as 'lesser' and Law certainly is not seen as extremely valuable for most generalist grad jobs out there, it's just another social science degree.

The whole spiel about pay is nonsensical too, pay is determined by what job you get. If the Politics grad had the right stuff to get a training contract at a top law firm but the Law grad ended up being a paralegal, then boom, the Politics grad earns more. Average pay has to do with the job one gets and not what one studies.

Lastly, it is certainly NOT true that a Politics degree will lead to unemployment just by itself - that is more caused by the person studying the degree and not by what the degree itself intrinsically does.

In ending, they're both pretty much similar degrees prospects wise - but where either leads you to is down to YOU and what YOU do whilst at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am literally somebody who went to uni to do law and then transferred to politics
do politics
law is sickeningly boring
why care about career prospects when you're not going to enjoy it?
at least I don't think many people *actually* enjoy it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending