The Student Room Group

A-level Law?

Whats A-level Law like?
I've just finished my AS in Law and will be doing at at A2 next year (I'm AQA).

I must say that it's been enjoyable, we've learnt about the elements to a crime, the mens rea (mental part of the crime) and the actus reus (physical part of the crime) for different crimes, we've done about how judges interpret statutes and the rules they use, forms of delegated legislation (e.g. bylaws), magistrates and juries and we've also learnt about civil law (tort), where we studied negligence.
Reply 2
Hi, I just did my A-Level Law and got an A in it.
It's mostly just a memory test. It's easier than most A-Level subjects providing you are dedicated to revision etc.
Reply 3
Original post by CatusStarbright
I've just finished my AS in Law and will be doing at at A2 next year (I'm AQA).

I must say that it's been enjoyable, we've learnt about the elements to a crime, the mens rea (mental part of the crime) and the actus reus (physical part of the crime) for different crimes, we've done about how judges interpret statutes and the rules they use, forms of delegated legislation (e.g. bylaws), magistrates and juries and we've also learnt about civil law (tort), where we studied negligence.

Thanks for the reply seems a interesting subject.
Reply 4
Original post by lucy_98
Hi, I just did my A-Level Law and got an A in it.
It's mostly just a memory test. It's easier than most A-Level subjects providing you are dedicated to revision etc.

thanks for the reply i've considered your points
Reply 5
I'm going into A2 Law and I love it! The only problem is the exams are marked really harshly so I'm getting a remark to try and bump my AS from a B to an A.

It's a really interesting subject and I always looked forward to AS Law because you're always learning something new
Original post by AfcFob
I'm going into A2 Law and I love it! The only problem is the exams are marked really harshly so I'm getting a remark to try and bump my AS from a B to an A.

It's a really interesting subject and I always looked forward to AS Law because you're always learning something new

I agree, it's really interesting and has huge relevance to society.
Reply 7
A Level Law is honestly one of the most enjoyable subjects to do. I just completed my A Level in Law (OCR Spec) and managed to achieve an A*. The main thing is that you need to have an good memory as there is large amounts of information to be learnt in such a small amount of time, however, as the content is very interesting, you'll enjoy revising it meaning remembering it should not be too difficult. The main piece of advise I can give to you is to complete and master the art of past papers as the questions year-after-year are very similar. Furthermore, the content you'll learn will help you to understand the legal system and so giving you a far deeper and more unique perspective of society, some of the content is also common-sense meaning you'll be able to understand the content well. Hope this helps, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:
A level law...waste o time
ive heard its a terrible subject to take if your considering law university but if its just because you wanna take it, then go ahead
Original post by sagelolz
ive heard its a terrible subject to take if your considering law university but if its just because you wanna take it, then go ahead

Not exactly true. I'm going to be applying for Law at university and A Level Law is not required, not strongly recommended and not really discouraged either.

Quick Reply

Latest