The Student Room Group

five a levels?

i know this gets posted a lot, but i am seriously considering doing five a levels.

maths
physics
literature
philosophy
music

i find music ridiculously easy (i never had lessons for music gcse and i almost definitely got an a*) and i really want to do philosophy, because maybe i will do that as a degree, and i want to know how i like it beforehand ( i also read a lot of philosophy in my own time) but i dont know whether i want to physics as a degree or not. essentially, i have four degrees i am interested in:

physics (mainly theoretical)
english
philosophy
music (composition at a conservatoire)

is it feasible?
I would really advise against taking five subjects, especially ones that don't really overlap, as you will end up compromising your grades by taking on too much. A Levels are much harder than GCSEs!

Also for music, you should make sure that you are at least Grade 5 standard, if not more.
Reply 2
Original post by CatusStarbright
I would really advise against taking five subjects, especially ones that don't really overlap, as you will end up compromising your grades by taking on too much. A Levels are much harder than GCSEs!

Also for music, you should make sure that you are at least Grade 5 standard, if not more.

hmm ok, i see.

also, that really isn't an issue. I'm diploma on piano oboe singing and grade 8 on organ
Original post by iamamarxist
hmm ok, i see.

also, that really isn't an issue. I'm diploma on piano oboe singing and grade 8 on organ

Haha then you'll probably be fine doing music :smile:
It's just not worth it
If you really want to then take 5 - but you will probably have to say goodbye to a social life. Also, I've heard from many that Philosophy is an insanely difficult A-level so for you to be doing it as one of FIVE, well. Good luck however many A-levels you take, I wish you all the best!
Oh another thing I would like to point out is that if you wish to do physics at university, you really need to do physics and maths at A Level and sometimes an additional science or further maths will aid your application.

Quick Reply

Latest