The Student Room Group

MFL

Hi, does anyone know if it is necessary to have a MFL GCSE to be able to do a science degree?

My son is going into year 11 and has been told he has to take Spanish in order to get into university. Problem is he hates it and is presently failing miserably from his lack of effort. He is find with the subjects he likes, science, Maths, computing but is also behind in English, geography and design. I want him to drop Spanish so that he can concentrate on the other subjects he is behind in and cone out with a decent set of grades but the school are telling me that Spanish is essential for university entrance. Is this true ??

Many thanks for any help
Original post by bluestillwater
Hi, does anyone know if it is necessary to have a MFL GCSE to be able to do a science degree?

My son is going into year 11 and has been told he has to take Spanish in order to get into university. Problem is he hates it and is presently failing miserably from his lack of effort. He is find with the subjects he likes, science, Maths, computing but is also behind in English, geography and design. I want him to drop Spanish so that he can concentrate on the other subjects he is behind in and cone out with a decent set of grades but the school are telling me that Spanish is essential for university entrance. Is this true ??

Many thanks for any help

I can honestly say that I have never heard of this before and have not seen it as a requirement on any university website.

Many thanks for any help

I've only ever heard of one university not accepting people without a GCSE in a language. I can't remember which one, but if you search you should be able to find it. For the majority of places, it should be no problem.
Original post by trabajadora
I've only ever heard of one university not accepting people without a GCSE in a language. I can't remember which one, but if you search you should be able to find it. For the majority of places, it should be no problem.

Thanks for the responses, I will contact some universities for more clarification then push the school for my son to drop Spanish
Thanks for the responses, I will contact some universities for more clarification then push the school for my son to drop Spanish

Glad we could be of use :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest