The Student Room Group

More respected subject or one that I will enjoy more?

I started studying a subject September 2015 and ended up leaving it due to low confidence (I thought I wouldn't be able to pass it) but I also wasn't enjoying the first year modules. However, I received an exam result and I had done quite well. By the time I had received this result and tried to get back in, it was too late, so I took a gap year and changed subject to start this year. The subject I have chosen, although I think I will enjoy it more, it isn't as respected as the subject I was studying prior to this. I know that only I can make this decision, but should I return to the subject I was studying before and try and get through the boring modules onto 2nd year where the modules look more interesting or study a subject that isn't as respected but I will more likely enjoy more? Thanks in advance!
Do a subject which you personally enjoy as you will more likely be motivated to study and revise for the exams
Reply 2
From what I've heard doing a subject because its more respected ALWAYS ends badly. Do what u enjoy so you wont regret anything.
Reply 3
Original post by student7649
I started studying a subject September 2015 and ended up leaving it due to low confidence (I thought I wouldn't be able to pass it) but I also wasn't enjoying the first year modules. However, I received an exam result and I had done quite well. By the time I had received this result and tried to get back in, it was too late, so I took a gap year and changed subject to start this year. The subject I have chosen, although I think I will enjoy it more, it isn't as respected as the subject I was studying prior to this. I know that only I can make this decision, but should I return to the subject I was studying before and try and get through the boring modules onto 2nd year where the modules look more interesting or study a subject that isn't as respected but I will more likely enjoy more? Thanks in advance!

Whilst I agree with everyone telling you to do what you think you will enjoy, I would also take into consideration how much less that subject is respected. If that subject isn't going to leave you with many career options it might be worth sticking with the other one. Then again, I don't know what your definition of less respected is, so if studying that one will create job opportunities your interested in, I'd study the one you'll enjoy more.
The one you enjoy :h:
It depends what you want from it, a good job or a good student experience, some are lucky to get both.
Reply 6
Original post by abbyrpq
Whilst I agree with everyone telling you to do what you think you will enjoy, I would also take into consideration how much less that subject is respected. If that subject isn't going to leave you with many career options it might be worth sticking with the other one. Then again, I don't know what your definition of less respected is, so if studying that one will create job opportunities your interested in, I'd study the one you'll enjoy more.
Thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I'm worried about, although both are academic degrees so both do not lead straight into any career, the subject I was doing before, I would say, is more respected and therefore will probably create more job opportunities. However, like I said, both do not lead directly into any specific career.

Quick Reply

Latest