The Student Room Group

The fibs your teacher told you in school [golden thread]

Scroll to see replies

Record high exam results year upon year probably.
Original post by zazzykazzy
I always got the well known 'Stop rocking on your chair, I once had a student who fell off doing that and cracked their skull open' - this came from about 5 different teachers in my high school!

We always got that (especially me) and never believed it but then it actually happened to a boy in my sisters class who had to be rushed to hospital... Don't think anyone swings on chairs in her class anymore 😁
Being told by my teacher that he would take our whole class to either burger king or mcdonalds at the end of the year, he never did.
My teacher said that she would mark any past papers I did so i handed one in at the start of term and have never had feedback on it.
I was told that revision sessions would be put on for AS resits and they never happened.
In primary school, we got told that we could taste different things with different areas of my tongue. When I got home and was given food I didn't like, I would try avoid putting it on the area I would taste...:angry:
Reply 404
"homework is the key to getting an A*"...
Original post by abbyrpq
Our English teacher made a mistake equal to the infamous blunder of Michael Fish in 1987 when he said there wasn't going to be a hurricane, and then that night there was 122mph winds. She said Slim wouldn't be the character option for of mice and men on the aqa English lit paper, and Slim was the character option and I'm pretty sure 28 people failed that exam

I love this analogy, it really made me laugh :rofl:

Original post by Cate1541
We always got that (especially me) and never believed it but then it actually happened to a boy in my sisters class who had to be rushed to hospital... Don't think anyone swings on chairs in her class anymore 😁

:shock::shock: I might have to quote in everyone who said this was a lie - I can't believe you know the boy who fell back off his chair!

Original post by therevsd2
In primary school, we got told that we could taste different things with different areas of my tongue. When I got home and was given food I didn't like, I would try avoid putting it on the area I would taste...:angry:

:rofl: :rofl:
Original post by Fox Corner
This is a golden thread. Join in with the discussion before 26 August 2016 to be in with the chance of winning an iPad air 2!

I remember being in reception, so only about 4 or 5, and our teacher told us that a rocket was going to the moon that day and if we worked really really quietly we'd be able to hear it take-off..

It totally worked. We were silent for the whole day, but never did hear that rocket go off.

What are the fibs your teachers told you at school to get you to be quiet, or stop asking silly questions?

Other golden threads:

1. List the fibs your teacher told you at school

2. What's your ultimate summer tune?

3. Which GCSE subject can you not wait to ditch?

4. Sum up how you’re feeling about results day in a meme or gif

5. How do you plan to celebrate your exam results?

6. Starting uni: what are you most excited about?

7. One essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels

8. What's the one thing will get you through results day?

The competition runs from 3 August to 23:59 on 26 August 2016. The random draw will be made on 30 August 2016.

"Albert Einstein failed Maths" - IT'S NOT TRUE
Original post by blessingmariee
"Albert Einstein failed Maths" - IT'S NOT TRUE

I've heard that too! Is it not true?
I've heard that too! Is it not true?

How can the person who developed general relativity not be good at maths. Makes no sense.
Original post by B_9710
How can the person who developed general relativity not be good at maths. Makes no sense.

Yeah but there are plenty of clever people who've failed exams/not gotten to a high level of education for one reason or another, like Steve Jobs didn't have a degree or anything!
Yeah but there are plenty of clever people who've failed exams/not gotten to a high level of education for one reason or another, like Steve Jobs didn't have a degree or anything!

That's true. But these people didn't fail exams directly linked to their career. How can you fail maths and be good at physics? I don't know who made this up or why?
Original post by B_9710
That's true. But these people didn't fail exams directly linked to their career. How can you fail maths and be good at physics? I don't know who made this up or why?

:lol: I don't know either - apparently it's been going around for ages. I found this article about it in Time Magazine though:

Einstein laughed. "I never failed in mathematics," he replied, correctly. "Before I was fifteen I had mastered differential and integral calculus." In primary school, he was at the top of his class and "far above the school requirements" in math. By age 12, his sister recalled, "he already had a predilection for solving complicated problems in applied arithmetic," and he decided to see if he could jump ahead by learning geometry and algebra on his own. His parents bought him the textbooks in advance so that he could master them over summer vacation. Not only did he learn the proofs in the books, he also tackled the new theories by trying to prove them on his own. He even came up on his own with a way to prove the Pythagorean theory.
this won't come up in your exam
We got told that the grade boundaries are a lot higher than they actually are
The last question will ALWAYS be international relations
This question hasn't come up in the exam for 2 years do learn it

:colonhash:

Or...

I promise not to give you lot assessments next week

What do we see on the table...

An assessment

Smh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Science teachers always said that every single test we took even the ones to monitor our progress counted our final gcse grade. I later found out from other subject teachers that this is a massive lie...
Reply 417
That the electron shells go 2, 8, 8.
You must bring your textbook to every lesson because we will definitely be using it.

This homework will not take long at all.

There is no need to worry about......(insert anything exam related here)...

:rolleyes:
"Your A-level standard is so low, you properly get a D or less!"

Joke on my art teacher, I got A*.

Quick Reply

Latest