The Student Room Group

What can I do with a PASS overall subsidiary Diploma in IT?

Hi,

First of all, yes, i know I f*cked up my first year. Originally i was doing A levels before I moved to the IT BTEC. Because of this setback I struggled doing all 9 units and only managed to get 1 merit and 6 passes (literally 3 criterion off 1 D, 3 M 3 P). So i was moved down on to the subsidiary.

I want to know what is the best way for me to get 280 UCAS points in the next year ( or two years if i must).

I pretty sure my Pass is worth 60.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Haroon_123
Hi,

First of all, yes, i know I f*cked up my first year. Originally i was doing A levels before I moved to the IT BTEC. Because of this setback I struggled doing all 9 units and only managed to get 1 merit and 6 passes (literally 3 criterion off 1 D, 3 M 3 P). So i was moved down on to the subsidiary.

I want to know what is the best way for me to get 280 UCAS points in the next year ( or two years if i must).

I pretty sure my Pass is worth 60.

By the end of the second year you should get BTEC Level 3 Diploma (120 credits)

but this is not enough to get 280 UCAS Points the most you could get is 120 UCAS Points. (getting D's in 5 units)
I think you should do some addtional units to get yourself BTEC Extended Diploma or try some other A Level's/BTEC's

What do you want to study at university? if its compsci then a bare minimum is DMM (universities wont usually accept 120 credit BTEC Diploma unless you have some other level 3 qualifications)

See the attached spreadsheet which tells you exactly how many ucas points you will get.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by marion771

but this is not enough to get 280 UCAS Points the most you could get is 120 UCAS Points. (getting D's in 5 units)
I think you should do some addtional units to get yourself BTEC Extended Diploma or try some other A Level's/BTEC's

What do you want to study at university? if its compsci then a bare minimum is DMM (universities wont usually accept 120 credit BTEC Diploma unless you have some other level 3 qualifications)

See the attached spreadsheet which tells you exactly how many ucas points you will get.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Is it possible to go from a Subsidiary to an extended? I thought you could only do that from a 90 cred? But i will ask my college to make sure.

And yes I'm thinking of taking an AS in computer science do i wouldn't have to do a foundation year at uni which thru might make me do without it?
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Is it possible to go from a Subsidiary to an extended? I thought you could only do that from a 90 cred? But i will ask my college to make sure.

And yes I'm thinking of taking an AS in computer science do i wouldn't have to do a foundation year at uni which thru might make me do without it?

It is possible however it might take you longer than one year (There are 60 units available.)

Also tell me which units did you struggle the most with? I have done AS Computing as well
Reply 4
It is possible however it might take you longer than one year (There are 60 units available.)

Also tell me which units did you struggle the most with? I have done AS Computing as well

I didn't necessarily struggle but alot of the work in the briefs was very poorly worded and vague. This plus the fact that i was basically working alone (everyone made friends, i joined course late, teachers are as vague as the briefs) caused me to struggle more.
I didn't necessarily struggle but alot of the work in the briefs was very poorly worded and vague. This plus the fact that i was basically working alone (everyone made friends, i joined course late, teachers are as vague as the briefs) caused me to struggle more.

unlucky! Our group did pretty well around 90% got D*D*

I would recommend you to do AS Maths rather than AS computing because then unis might give you a lower offer. Also try emailing few unis and explain your situaton and ask whether or not they would let you in or give you a lower offer.

Hey.

How do i calculate my UCAS points with my BTEC level 3

I am going into the second year in my BTEC and have achieved DM for my first year.

I don't do IT btw.
Original post by Blackstarr
Hey.

How do i calculate my UCAS points with my BTEC level 3

I am going into the second year in my BTEC and have achieved DM for my first year.

I don't do IT btw.

it doesn't matter which subject you are doing

See the attached spreadsheet ( just enter your last year grades and what you expect to get next year and it will tell you the grade grade and how many ucas points you will get) It is using 2017 Tariff
it doesn't matter which subject you are doing

See the attached spreadsheet ( just enter your last year grades and what you expect to get next year and it will tell you the grade grade and how many ucas points you will get) It is using 2017 Tariff

Cool.
Reply 9
unlucky! Our group did pretty well around 90% got D*D*

I would recommend you to do AS Maths rather than AS computing because then unis might give you a lower offer. Also try emailing few unis and explain your situaton and ask whether or not they would let you in or give you a lower offer.

Hm, i guess i could do that but i got a measly C in GCSE maths u thinl they'd let me on still ?
Hm, i guess i could do that but i got a measly C in GCSE maths u thinl they'd let me on still ?

oh very unlikely but you could try to speak with the head of maths.

I think the best thing what you could do is email unis and ask whether or not they would let you in

Another option is obviously foundation year at university. These have usually lower entry requirements

Quick Reply