The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mariachi
it's set in nothing at all

in fact, the definition in the Oxford English Dictionary is different from the one in Oxford Dictionary Online. Mirriam-Webster online does not even reference it.

With regard to official use, the Runnymede report titled "Islamophobia: A Challenge for Us All" was published in November 1997 by the Home Secretary, Jack Straw. In this report, Islamophobia was defined as "an outlook or world-view involving an unfounded dread and dislike of Muslims, which results in practices of exclusion and discrimination."

And there goes your "set in stone" definition . Try again.

Best

Know that when I am talking about it, I mean fear/hate of Islam/Muslims.

So maybe we can get back to discussing the point, instead of tangentially avoiding the substance of the argument over some childish dispute over what a word means.
Original post by alevelstresss
Know that when I am talking about it, I mean fear/hate of Islam/Muslims.
that's much better... you seem at least to recognise somehow the subjective/controversial nature of the definition

but how about disliking Islam/Muslims ? has dislike disappeared from your "set-in-stone" definition of Islamophobia ? and yet, both the Oxford English Dictionary and the Oxford Online Dictionary include "dislike" or (respectively) "intense dislike" in their definition... so, it seems that in order not to qualify as an Islamophobe, we have to like Islam, or at least not to dislike it, or-if we do dislike it - then not intensely (but only, perhaps, moderately, or tangentially)

So maybe we can get back to discussing the point, instead of tangentially avoiding the substance of the argument over some childish dispute over what a word means.
hey, you have been repeating to me, over and over again, at any opportunity "Islamophobia includes hate/fear of Islam or of Muslims" "Islamophobia includes hate/fear of Islam or of Muslims" "Islamophobia includes hate/fear of Islam or of Muslims" "it's set in stone" etc etc

so, blame yourself for the "childish dispute", dear friend

best
(edited 7 years ago)
that's much better... you seem at least to recognise somehow the subjective/controversial nature of the definition

but how about disliking Islam/Muslims ? has dislike disappeared from your "set-in-stone" definition of Islamophobia ? and yet, both the Oxford English Dictionary and the Oxford Online Dictionary include "dislike" or (respectively) "intense dislike" in their definition... so, it seems that in order not to qualify as an Islamophobe, we have to like Islam, or at least not to dislike it, or-if we do dislike it - then not intensely (but only, perhaps, moderately, or tangentially)

hey, you have been repeating to me, over and over again, at any opportunity "Islamophobia includes hate/fear of Islam or of Muslims" "Islamophobia includes hate/fear of Islam or of Muslims" "Islamophobia includes hate/fear of Islam or of Muslims" "it's set in stone" etc etc

so, blame yourself for the "childish dispute", dear friend

best

Its beyond dispute that you were the one who brought up Islamophobia as a loose word in the first place.
Its beyond dispute that you were the one who brought up Islamophobia as a loose word in the first place.
it's beyond dispute that you were the one who brought up Islamophobia as a fixed concept (with a set-in-stone definition) in the first place
it's beyond dispute that you were the one who brought up Islamophobia as a fixed concept (with a set-in-stone definition) in the first place

...in response to you whinging about my use of the word Islamophobia.
A commonly-used tactic of Islamophobes to evade the point - that their hatred of Islam is harmful if acted on and causing the problem to accelerate.
A commonly-used tactic of Islamophobes etc etc their hatred of Islam etc
well, dear friend, it seems that we have reached the end of the line

and yes, of course I do dislike Islam, so by the Oxford English Dictionary definition (if not necessarily by its online version) I would in fact qualify as a fully-fledged, card-carrying Islamophobe

so, I'll resort to my trusted Islamophobic tactics and bid you good bye, at least for the moment

have a nice evening !
Original post by KingBradly
So you're saying bells can be racist?

Just when you thought some people couldn't get crazier. :biggrin:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
There wouldn't be police sirens at dawn every single day.

I'm genuinely surprised you haven't moved to Pakistan or some other Muslim country because your kind of arrogance about your religion would get you far in those places. Are you planning to move after you graduate from uni?

What I do with my life is none of your business :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
its a shame you can't recognise your fellow Islamophobes on sight, the OP is fully against the proposal and wanted to start another Islam-bashing thread

It's a shame you can't recognise off the cuff, non serious responses on sight.
No thank you, I do not want loud calls to prayer in the UK just to please a small minority of muslims in the population. There are loads of ways you can be reminded to go to prayer (alarms, phone reminders, get organised, get into a routine etc.) without the need for an obnoxiously loud call to prayer.

Please respect that by here in the UK you are living in a diverse country yes, but also one when christianity is the religion of the majority, and it is incredibly disrespectful to suggest such a thing which could cause outrage and disruption, not to mention create a large wedge between already divided religions.

Just respect that in the UK where the majority are christian it wouldnt be fair to impose something like this. If you are really wanting to live a very muslim culture then why not chose a muslim country to do so, if you like the UK just respect and understand that things have to be a little bit different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A: This will NEVER be passed, not saying it because I'm for or against, but it'll never happen.
B: Even if it did, this will just hurt the muslim-non muslim relationship that is already hurting.

TBF I'm actually doubting they will even debate it. I'm expect one of those long replies basically saying no.
Original post by HAnwar

Posted from TSR Mobile
well, you whetted our appetite... tell us why hearing the adhan (call to prayer) is so important for you, and how you think it would fit in the UK, how non-Muslims would feel about it, what your view is about the future of Islam in the UK, why you would choose (or not) to migrate etc ...

we are curious

best
Original post by HAnwar

Posted from TSR Mobile

I asked you a simple question to do with your views and how you choose to live with your life because of them. Considering you don't even want to talk about it, I can only assume your responses would be weak ones.
Reply 313
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Are you trolling? Yes Britian is proud to be a multicultural country, but at the end of the day it's not a religious country. Our monarchy is Christian. If you want your loud call prayers and your sharia lifestyle go move to Saudia Arabia.

Given their posting history, I think it's fair to assume the OP's idea of promoting this petition is to give the petition attention that it will be picked up by the media and thus giving the anti-Muslim crowd something else to fuel their agenda, rather than the OP all of a sudden being a Muslim :rolleyes:

Personally I think it would be totally unnecessary and I certainly can't see something like this being passed by the government in the current climate and I do agree that in a secular and increasingly non religious country, pandering to religion of any kind is unnecessary.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hanwar we are NOT a Muslim country, we ARE A CHRISTIAN country. Therefore this wouldn't be 'awesome' for us, in the same way that churches in Saudi Arabia wouldn't be 'awesome' for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyway if this ever did happen i and loads of others would certainly smash it down

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 316
I've always had a policy of "If it never affects me I'm fine with it" as quite a lot of people do, this does though so it will probs not get introduced, plus a lot of the politicians in parliament are fairly racist
Original post by the bear
hmmm maybe they could have an app instead :dontknow:

...lmao what!? Bear....idk why this made me holler with laughter.....i think simply because u said it...
Nah
Original post by Toscana
this thread is old but relevant. im hearing this islamic call to prayer every single day now what the hells going on. this crap shouldnt be in britain, pisses me off. this **** is going off at 4 in the bloody morning like im sure not even muslims wanna hear that **** at 4am

Oh word? I mean I over hear mosques mosqueing it up sometimes but in my area I hear **** all. That's not on. Now do a reverse petition to mute that **** 🔇

Latest

Trending

Trending