The Student Room Group

How do I fix this?

I had a best friend who I had major feelings for to the point of obsession.
He was aware of this and I have been told that he felt the same way about me. We did a back and forth thing where neither of us really knew how the other felt but we both hinted without outright saying anything.
He also treated me like absolute **** whenever we were around people. When I first asked him out he said he couldn't as he liked someone else (who then turned him down because of how he treated her as a friend), he then took me out on a 'practise date' to see how he would treat a 'future girlfriend' which was a massive blow to me when I reflected on it later. He also sabotaged one of my previous relations by confronting my partner at the time and getting into constant arguments with him which caused our relationship to flop. There's all this and more but it would be too long to list really.
It came to a point where I fell into a downward spiral of depression because of this so I stopped contacting him directly and tried to keep my distance in order to sever that extreme emotional bond. After 9 months, it worked. Then at around Easter this year he contacted me asking why I had just suddenly stopped talking to him - to which I gave him the reasoning as well as specific examples but he told me then that I had apparently done certain things when in actuality I hadn't and that skewed his perceptions of me.
I told him that we should talk about it properly during the summer holidays (currently in week 5 of 6) but I just don't know how to go about it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by Anonymous
He was aware of this and I have been told that he felt the same way about me. We did a back and forth thing where neither of us really knew how the other felt but we both hinted without outright saying anything.
He also treated me like absolute **** whenever we were around people. When I first asked him out he said he couldn't as he liked someone else (who then turned him down because of how he treated her as a friend), he then took me out on a 'practise date' to see how he would treat a 'future girlfriend' which was a massive blow to me when I reflected on it later. He also sabotaged one of my previous relations by confronting my partner at the time and getting into constant arguments with him which caused our relationship to flop. There's all this and more but it would be too long to list really.
It came to a point where I fell into a downward spiral of depression because of this so I stopped contacting him directly and tried to keep my distance in order to sever that extreme emotional bond. After 9 months, it worked. Then at around Easter this year he contacted me asking why I had just suddenly stopped talking to him - to which I gave him the reasoning as well as specific examples but he told me then that I had apparently done certain things when in actuality I hadn't and that skewed his perceptions of me.
I told him that we should talk about it properly during the summer holidays (currently in week 5 of 6) but I just don't know how to go about it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Seems like an unhealthy relationship and he doesn't seem like such a great guy tbh. People very rarely change so I would suggest you cut all contact and move on if possible. If he is in your class/uni/work environment then just keep it civil and move on - not worth the hassle imo as obsession is always bad.
Original post by Anonymous

Don't bother talking about anything to him. He sounds like the kind of person who will come up with an excuse to justify his actions no matter what and will make everyone else the bad guy but himself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending