The Student Room Group

iPad/Laptop for A-Level science?

I'm starting sixth form in September to study Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Can anyone recommend a laptop/tablet or advise whether or not I even need one? I have an iPad, but I imagine it would be difficult to take notes unless there's also any app recommendations? Thanks.
Original post by abbyrpq
I'm starting sixth form in September to study Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Can anyone recommend a laptop/tablet or advise whether or not I even need one? I have an iPad, but I imagine it would be difficult to take notes unless there's also any app recommendations? Thanks.

I do not think you need any of those things in class. I can see it being useful if you want to type things up, but you'd have to write it out again afterwards to help you remember/understand.
Reply 2
Original post by abbyrpq

You won't need one for classes (also most teachers send their lesson powerpoints to students, so you wont have to take copy from the whiteboard). For revision, any laptop or tablets that are up to date will do.
Original post by kkboyk
You won't need one for classes (also most teachers send their lesson powerpoints to students, so you wont have to take copy from the whiteboard). For revision, any laptop or tablets that are up to date will do.

Playing a dangerous game if you don't take notes imo though. Three boys in my English lit class took pics of the powerpoint / whiteboard with their phones every lesson and I honestly doubt they ever looked at the photos!
I have an iPad Mini 4 for taking notes in class on, and to access any documents I need, and I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Geology (hopefully at least, providing my gcse's hold up!) and then I have a MacBook Pro at home for when I need to do any essays or anything :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by itsConnor_
Playing a dangerous game if you don't take notes imo though. Three boys in my English lit class took pics of the powerpoint / whiteboard with their phones every lesson and I honestly doubt they ever looked at the photos!

I didnt tell OP to not take any notes, just inferring for him/her not to spend lots of time in class copying from powerpoints.

Also how is that anecdote relevent here ?
Original post by kkboyk
I didnt tell OP to not take any notes, just inferring for him/her not to spend lots of time in class copying from powerpoints.

Also how is that anecdote relevent here ?

Because they didn't take notes in lesson and I think that's a bad idea imo :smile: completely up to OP though, sorry if I came across as confrontational
Reply 7
Original post by xMiakatx
I have an iPad Mini 4 for taking notes in class on, and to access any documents I need, and I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Geology (hopefully at least, providing my gcse's hold up!) and then I have a MacBook Pro at home for when I need to do any essays or anything :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What app(s) do you use to take notes on your iPad? Or do you just use the notes already on it?
Original post by abbyrpq
What app(s) do you use to take notes on your iPad? Or do you just use the notes already on it?

I use Pages which comes already installed, it's pretty much the apple version of word - It's easier to use that than another app as I can transfer it to my Mac through iCloud Drive :smile:

Quick Reply