The Student Room Group

Pregnant at sixth form, help!

I've recently found out that I'm pregnant:s-smilie: it came as a bit of a shock but since I've decided I'm going to stay at sixth form for my last year whilst my mum looks after the baby. She will then continue looking after him/her when I go to university next September. The university I'm planning to go to is only a 40 min drive from my house so I will still be able to live at home. I've thought things over a lot and I think my mind is made up. I'm due at the end of March/beginning of April which luckily falls around Easter half term so the plan is to have the baby and go straight back after the 2 weeks holiday. Financially my boyfriend is going to play a massive part and my parents too.

I'm rather nervous as to what people are going to say about me at school as I don't think there has ever been a pregnant girl at my sixth form college. I'm afraid people are going to look down on me and think my life is ruined even though I'm very blessed to be able to have a child and still continue education. I know it's going to be difficult but I'm rather a tough cookie and with such a supportive partner and family I think everything will work out.

Has anyone else had or been a pregnant sixth form student and if so how did people react and how did you deal with it? Any advice would be extremely appreciated and I will reply to everyone

Scroll to see replies

Wow you must've had balls to become pregnant at the sixth form...
Original post by Anonymous
x

You're an amazing girl. And a brave one too!

My sister had my nephew at 18, she went to uni and graduated with 2:1 in Law from a red brick uni. She didn't even have a supportive partner but made many supportive friends.

I'm about to head to uni (albeit a bit older than 18) with 2 children. Did you know you get free childcare whilst you're at uni?

People may be surprised but there is nothing in the world better than tiny people. They are just fantastic.
I know someone from my college who got pregnant at 18, she has now delivered.

Edit: i can't speak from her point of view but at the beginning people were shocked and were murmuring about her but in the end as long as she was happy, which she was, it should not have affected her.

Its not the end of the world really.
(edited 7 years ago)
There is support available externally and internally(parents and boyfriend)
Focus on sixthform and if possible, do all your work/ revision in class, free periods and study periods so that way you can have time to spend with your child.
x

A further word of advice:

Most people on this forum are 16-21 and don't want children till they are about 55 by the sounds of it. And certainly not before they are earning £100,000.

I would take their advice with a liberal bucket of salt.

SS
Reply 7
Wow you must've had balls to become pregnant at the sixth form...

It's not really about having balls, it happened unintentionally and I don't think I can go ahead with abortion. I'm all for pro-choice but personally I think it would be more upsetting for me to abort than for me to have him/her.
I know a girl in year 13 that was pregnant, there's even a girl in my class who's pregnant and is due to give birth soon
Reply 9
Original post by Supersaps
You're an amazing girl. And a brave one too!

My sister had my nephew at 18, she went to uni and graduated with 2:1 in Law from a red brick uni. She didn't even have a supportive partner but made many supportive friends.

I'm about to head to uni (albeit a bit older than 18) with 2 children. Did you know you get free childcare whilst you're at uni?

People may be surprised but there is nothing in the world better than tiny people. They are just fantastic.

Thank you for your kind words. It's so lovely to hear that your sister managed to do that after having a child at 18. I will be 18 and I'm planning to study law as well believe it or not! Such a coincidence! I'm glad to hear she had supportive friends as well and I very much hope I will be able to make some great supportive friends too. I didn't know about the free childcare so thank you for that tip I will certainly look it up. Congrats for starting university as well I hope it goes well for you.
Original post by Supersaps
A further word of advice:

Most people on this forum are 16-21 and don't want children till they are about 55 by the sounds of it. And certainly not before they are earning £100,000.

I would take their advice with a liberal bucket of salt.

SS

Haha very true :biggrin: but things happen and there's living proof it can still all work out
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I know a girl in year 13 that was pregnant, there's even a girl in my class who's pregnant and is due to give birth soon

Fair enough, it must just be my sixth form with no pregnant people lol! I kind of wish there was for some support and so we could relate. I take it you are year 12 then? Is she planning to stay
Fair enough, it must just be my sixth form with no pregnant people lol! I kind of wish there was for some support and so we could relate. I take it you are year 12 then? Is she planning to stay

Yeah I'm in year 12. The girl in my class actually left and dropped out of college, we're not friends so I don't know what she's doing
I've recently found out that I'm pregnant:s-smilie: it came as a bit of a shock but since I've decided I'm going to stay at sixth form for my last year whilst my mum looks after the baby. She will then continue looking after him/her when I go to university next September. The university I'm planning to go to is only a 40 min drive from my house so I will still be able to live at home. I've thought things over a lot and I think my mind is made up. I'm due at the end of March/beginning of April which luckily falls around Easter half term so the plan is to have the baby and go straight back after the 2 weeks holiday. Financially my boyfriend is going to play a massive part and my parents too.

I'm rather nervous as to what people are going to say about me at school as I don't think there has ever been a pregnant girl at my sixth form college. I'm afraid people are going to look down on me and think my life is ruined even though I'm very blessed to be able to have a child and still continue education. I know it's going to be difficult but I'm rather a tough cookie and with such a supportive partner and family I think everything will work out.

Has anyone else had or been a pregnant sixth form student and if so how did people react and how did you deal with it? Any advice would be extremely appreciated and I will reply to everyone

Forget about what other people say and try and stay focused on your education, i know it is going to be hard but atleast you can hold your head up high and say that you didn't drop out and continued with your education, its a good thing that you are continuing as most people usually don't, one day you will look back and be proud that you didn't let people get to you, just stay put and everything will fall into place! Good luck OP x

When you are a few months into your pregnancy and you have your scan for telling you the sex of your little one, you can send me a PM and I will make you some baby clothes. I am grandma to 16 children do I am always making something.
I hope school works out for you and you will be able to give your little one a bright future.
Original post by Blackstarr
Focus on sixthform and if possible, do all your work/ revision in class, free periods and study periods so that way you can have time to spend with your child.

That sounds like a very good idea! I have already started my notes for this following year to get ahead and I'm planning on having all revision resources and notes completed before April so I can spend the whole half term with the baby before going back :tongue:
Original post by retro_turtles
Forget about what other people say and try and stay focused on your education, i know it is going to be hard but atleast you can hold your head up high and say that you didn't drop out and continued with your education, its a good thing that you are continuing as most people usually don't, one day you will look back and be proud that you didn't let people get to you, just stay put and everything will fall into place! Good luck OP x

It will be hard to ignore people when I'm the hot topic of conversation:albertein: but I will definitely try my hardest to block it out! Education is something very important to me so I'm not going to give up and will be able to hold my head high! Thank you so much for your advice and wish of good luck, hopefully I will be able to write on this thread this time next year that I did well at my a levels lol X

I don't really understand the logic of "people looking down on you". I mean, your boyfriend is staying with you and you couldn't have had that many relationships at 16 years old. If they do, just tell them to **** off.

Just try and go about things as you normally would. There's no need to drastically change anything just because of the circumstances (unless it's necessary for the child, naturally.).
Original post by CounTolstoy
Well done for having sex, something that anyone is capable of today! Well done for ruining your future (the realisation of the enormity of what you have done will only hit you in a few years time). Congratulations for doing something that you can do at any point in your life - as long as you have not reached menopause - and for limiting the choices you will have in obtaining the future you want and achieving your goals. Another congratulations for isolating yourself from the responsibilities of being a parent and instead handing all the trouble down to your mother, something she absolutely does not deserve. Do not be fooled by the sincere congratulations you have reached from various TSRians, OP.
Regret Nothing

Spoiler

Ah yes, I remember when I ruined my life by having my child during my second year of university. I attended until my due date, and came back a month after giving birth. Got a first overall, and have a job waiting for me at UK Parliament after I graduate, and have only been away from my son for the two months left of university I had where a friend babysat him for two hours twice a week. I also manage this with a severe disability, and run a charity to help those with my same condition. But please, tell me more about how I ruined my life and so many opportunities :-)
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Ah yes, I remember when I ruined my life by having my child during my second year of university. I attended until my due date, and came back a month after giving birth. Got a first overall, and have a job waiting for me at UK Parliament after I graduate, and have only been away from my son for the two months left of university I had where a friend babysat him for two hours twice a week. I also manage this with a severe disability, and run a charity to help those with my same condition. But please, tell me more about how I ruined my life and so many opportunities :-)

Although only a few years in difference, sixth form and university are very different. Thus a comparison cannot be made. Having a child at 19 or 20 does not compare to a 16 year old who is studying A levels and has decided to hand down all the responsibility to their mother.

Quick Reply

Latest