The Student Room Group

Who is doing an extra year at Sixth form ? And how do you feel about it ?

I am feeling ok about it, I think my parents are more bothered about it than I am because everyone is asking what Uni I am going to and I think they feel embarrassed to explain the 3rd year situation.
I will probably feel weird because everyone else is the year below but never mind the other students aren't too bad.
I am, but I knew for a while now, so it isn't much of a problem.
I was in the same situation last year after getting BBC and not getting into the unis i wanted to, and so i stayed another year. And honestly, it turned out to be one of the best school years i've had, because i made friends loads of people in the year below and one of them is now my best friend lol. Plus it helped having a couple of my friends who also stayed another year but yeah it was awesome and i actually ended up teaching a lot of people in my class since i had done the units before. And ended up bumping up those grades to A*A*A and getting into Warwick.
Reply 3
Original post by Suspectthrone59
I was in the same situation last year after getting BBC and not getting into the unis i wanted to, and so i stayed another year. And honestly, it turned out to be one of the best school years i've had, because i made friends loads of people in the year below and one of them is now my best friend lol. Plus it helped having a couple of my friends who also stayed another year but yeah it was awesome and i actually ended up teaching a lot of people in my class since i had done the units before. And ended up bumping up those grades to A*A*A and getting into Warwick.

WOW go you ! See none of my friends are staying on so it kinda sucks
Im also redoing my last year. I got BCC. Im leaving psychology and biology probobly at BC. Then resiting chemistry and doing a 1 year couse in business however i am changing schools. Its difficult to say the least but im hoping its better in the long run.
Reply 5
I am too i missed my grades by A LOT i needed AAA so im redoing but we can only retake as an external candidate so idk how i feel about that :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by IsabellaJ97
Im also redoing my last year. I got BCC. Im leaving psychology and biology probobly at BC. Then resiting chemistry and doing a 1 year couse in business however i am changing schools. Its difficult to say the least but im hoping its better in the long run.

Was the new school accepting towards your plans or did they need persuading ?
same Ill be starting my third year and hopefully will be boosting my grades from AEE to AAB it'll be boring learning the same content again for another year but i suppose it has to be done
Reply 8
I retook year 12 last year and now I'm going onto year 13 while most of my friends and year group are off to uni. How do I feel? It's a mixed one cos I'm on track to be able to apply and hopefully get into a russel group which is why I repeated anyways but it's also a bit sad. I guess my only choice is to keep moving. On a positive note, everything I'm doing this year won't be a repeat and boring so there's that.
Original post by Ismail786
same Ill be starting my third year and hopefully will be boosting my grades from AEE to AAB it'll be boring learning the same content again for another year but i suppose it has to be done

are you going to school everyday like normal or studying from home and doing work experience, volunteering, etc.
Original post by ronaldo222
are you going to school everyday like normal or studying from home and doing work experience, volunteering, etc.

ill be studying from home with some one to one tuition for psychology and will be doing work experience in an opticians as i wish to pursue a career in optometry also i will be volunteering with the british heart foundation next thursday
Original post by Ismail786
ill be studying from home with some one to one tuition for psychology and will be doing work experience in an opticians as i wish to pursue a career in optometry also i will be volunteering with the british heart foundation next thursday

When did you apply for the british heart foundation?
Can you just walk into a chairty shop and ask how did you go about getting yours?
i applied two days ago on the website and they called me today asking me to come in next thursday.
Original post by ronaldo222
When did you apply for the british heart foundation?
Can you just walk into a chairty shop and ask how did you go about getting yours?

i applied two days ago on the website and they called me today asking me to come in next thursday.
Original post by im.a.witch
Was the new school accepting towards your plans or did they need persuading ?

There spesilise in resits so they are very accepting towards you plans to resit.
I'm starting my extra year at sixth form next week and I feel mixed about it. I knew end of year 12 that I'd have to do an extra year but wasn't too bothered at the time, but now I'm a bit worried. I worked really hard and it wasn't enough and it's knocked my confidence. Also worried that everyone in the year below will have settled into friendship groups and I'll be left behind.
On the other hand lots of the people leaving this year were *****y and some I can't wait to see less of so there's perks to the situation! Also I'm on track for uni everything pretty much and I know 'year 14' will help me with my future!! Great to read about people in similar positions.
A bit of shameless self promo here but I'll be blogging my year 14 experience so if you want to know how someone else is in your position feel free to check my blog out! Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest