The Student Room Group

US college tells white students to check their privilege; triggers white students

Scroll to see replies

If this is real, america is screwed!!! LOL!
Original post by Napp
part of the five a-day one presumes?

Like extra large banana milkshake :cool:
Reply 22
Original post by The Sexathlete
Like extra large banana milkshake :cool:

Rasberry dude.
The point of the posters is clearly to promote equality, but I think that they have missed the mark by miles because they attract more attention to those in the "dominant social group:undefined:". Straight away, they promote the idea that being white, male, heterosexual, cisgender etc. should be a social grouping in the first place, and then draws attention to those social groups. Of course, whenever you start making exclusive social groups you end up with differences in the oft-cited privilege, particularly when those groups are defined by unchangeable things like race.

I'm quite surprised that two lecturers in psychology and marketing wouldn't have raised this as a potential issue with the posters, and even more surprised that they agreed to put their names on them.
"Evil conservative" kk den nice edit.
Reply 25

What the hell? :lolwut:

These people are insane.
Reply 26
Wouldn't mind going to this college:biggrin:
Original post by Josb

What the hell? :lolwut:

These people are insane.

I'm actually questioning how these people have doctorates.
Original post by Dandaman1
I say we take off and nuke the entire campus from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

May God have mercy on their souls.

10/10 Aliens reference :laugh:
It also seems to have triggered people on this forum.
Reply 30
I don't agree with safe spaces but we all need to become more aware of our privileges, but people shouldn't be goaded because of their privileges, they should be made aware of them in the hope that for e.g when they see someone protesting about how they are discriminated against, that they will have some understanding of where they are coming from. The world needs to become a more understanding place imo.
Original post by Napp
Seriously can somebody tell me what the **** 'cisgender' is supposed to mean...?

Someone who is possesses a sex, and identifies with the gender associated with it.

More often it means: Any straight (and often white, especially male) person who doesn't really buy into the "gender-fluidity" fad, the people who think they're 'male' one day and then 'female' the other or some convoluted position inbetween that needs recognition (I.E. desperate attention) and a label , ignoring the fact that you can have feminine qualities or masculine qualities and still identify as one gender or the other.

Basically a snarl word almost for people who buy into the competition to "out-queer" each other to sling at everyone else.

Not really to be mistaken with transsexualism, a medically recognised condition where someone's psychological gender is fundamentally incongruent with their biological sex.
Original post by JohnGreek
From their local community college - in sociology or gender studies

They're in psychology (don't know if gen stud is under this department), marketing and some design program.
Original post by Mathemagicien
A North Carolina university student group posted a 'privilege board' on campus, which calls on white, male, able-bodied, Christian, or cisgender people to 'check their privilege.'

Poster A

Poster B

Poster C

Poster D

Poster E

Poster F

'A residential hall is the last place to push an agenda,' Laurel Littler, an evil conservative, said. 'I can't help that I'm Caucasian.'

Littler told Fox News last year that she was 'cyber-bullied' because of her decision to protest, and the abuse she was receiving online was 'deserved' because of her status as a 'privileged Caucasian.'

The campaign first originated at the University of San Francisco, where professors disseminated fliers that urged the public to 'look at all the privileges I haven't checked.'

Ja'Nina Walker, a USF psychology professor who has tirelessly fought for equality and justice, was one of the intiators of the campaign. He told the San Francisco Foghorn that the goal is to get students to 'recognize the structural inequalities around them.'

'We just hope that people use this as an opportunity to think critically about the world around them and challenge themselves to really consider the implications of structural inequalities and how they, as an individual, can help mitigate the negative effects of social inequalities,' said Walker.

'In order to effectively advocate for others, one needs to have an awareness of self and the biases and positions within the society in which we live,' said assistant professor Sonja Poole.

'Privilege is often unrecognized by those who have the most. It is important to identify and confront issues that affect marginalized people so that we can reduce social and economic injustice and increase societal well-being.'

The professors have began receiving requests to use the material on other campuses.

Organization in colleges and universities, traditionally a hotbed of social activism, have sought to provide training, workshops, and seminars to inform others on their privilege.

This past spring, almost two thousand students attended the 'White Privilege Conference' in Philadelphia, which was designed to provide support for those who might be 'burned out from working to dismantle racism and white supremacy'. Some titles of the seminars had the spelling of woman changed to 'womyn' - so 'man' was taken out of the word.

However, the conference was embroiled in controversy, after the audience clapped rather than using the accepted 'jazz-hand applause', triggering audience members with a nervous disposition.

Miami University covered more than half the cost, and charged students a flat fee of only $60, potentially $240 less than the total expense of the conference.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3749726/Campus-outrage-North-Carolina-White-male-able-bodied-Christian-students-Appalachian-State-told-check-privilege-controversial-bulletin-board.html

Hmmm. My sentiments are that my privileges are wonderfully large and I'm delighted to have them, and that those who are envious can suck my even more wonderfully large penis (except the fat, trans, or gay ones. Mainly just the hot college chicks in fact). Am I being politically correct enough?
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
It also seems to have triggered people on this forum.

Not me! Being reminded of my privileges makes me delighted!
Reply 35
......the police exist to protect you is white male privilege?
When police kill far, far more males than females? What?
Original post by Underscore__
They should add some more:
'If you're homeless but have shoes check your privilege'
'If you have terminal cancer but aren't dead check your privilege'

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl: :lol:
I suppose two things stand out

Firstly, minor nitpicking I don't think the University of San Francisco is in North Carolina. Secondly, there is one of these points I agree with, namely that YES I am privileged relative to a disabled person. If I can walk and another person can't I am objectively better off than that person.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending