The Student Room Group

Should I bother resitting A2?

Hello.

So basically, I got ABB in my A levels. Some members of my family said I should resit and try to get AAA, but I have got into my firm university (Leeds) and got onto my chosen course.

They say that having ABB will hinder my employment prospects a lot, but I'm not sure if I'll have the time (and money) in order to pay for resits. Also, I'm not convinced there's actually a point.

Any help regarding this?

Thanks.
Original post by Peppercrunch
Hello.

So basically, I got ABB in my A levels. Some members of my family said I should resit and try to get AAA, but I have got into my firm university (Leeds) and got onto my chosen course.

They say that having ABB will hinder my employment prospects a lot, but I'm not sure if I'll have the time (and money) in order to pay for resits. Also, I'm not convinced there's actually a point.

Any help regarding this?

Thanks.

Since you got your firm I don't really see the point? I mean, even if you do resit there is no guarantee that you'll get three A's or even that your firm uni would take you up next year. To me, I think you should just carry on as you are doing :smile:
ABB are good grades and you got into a good uni, don't let your parents pressure you into doing something you're not comfortable with :smile:
Reply 3
Hello.

Any help regarding this?

Thanks.

It won't hinder any job opportunities, there is absolutely no need for you to resit anything. Your family members clearly have no clue about what they're talking about, do not heed their 'advice'.
You've got good grades and got into the uni and course you want, why on earth would you need to resit? Like you say, there's no point. ABB will certainly not hinder your employment prospects, your family are being ridiculous.
What course do you want to study?
Original post by watchthisspace1
What course do you want to study?

Geography. The grade requirements were AAA and I somehow got in.
Don't do resits. Employers will ask you to declare the dates for when you did the course, so they will only count first 2 years and disregard anything extra. So they will know you screwed up either way, and thus, you should rather focus on your degree than waste a whole year plus money.
Reply 8
Original post by BIGJohnson777
Don't do resits. Employers will ask you to declare the dates for when you did the course, so they will only count first 2 years and disregard anything extra. So they will know you screwed up either way, and thus, you should rather focus on your degree than waste a whole year plus money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone gonna say this is a complete lie :erm: because if its not that would be really unfair :frown:.
I never even knew employers really looked into a levels?
Employment would only look at the degrees you've achieved at your highest level if education, so if you got in, there's no need to resit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Geography. The grade requirements were AAA and I somehow got in.

Ohh okay, because I'm going to study dentistry at Leeds too!!
And honestly, I don't think that it matters much. you've done well for yourself. To do a-levels again, i thin that you'd need to prepare yourself academically and mentally again because a-levels aren't a walk in the park.
You got into uni and your family should be happy with that!
I doubt that ABB is going to hold you back, focus on getting exceptional grades for university because i think that's what employers look at more.
If you are looking for a graduate position- they will. However, most of them ask for a minimum of ABB , so you should be fine. And it would be in fact unfair if they disregarded how long it took someone to achieve the grades. You can't say that a person who achieved AAA in 3 years would be seen the same as the one who got AAA in 2 years (purely on this criteria that is).
Original post by audreyhepburn01
Will my grades of A*AD be accepted for graduate positions, this is something I am a bit worried about.

They'll be fine I should think. It's 320 UCAS points, and some employers don't have a minimum UCAS point entry requirement from what I can see.
Original post by audreyhepburn01
Will my grades of A*AD be accepted for graduate positions, this is something I am a bit worried about.

It is very different for every graduate scheme, some don't state any requirements, some ask for specific grades, some count UCAS points, and others just say 'good a-levels'. Looking at your grades it seems like that D was totally unrepresentative of your general academic abilities (and to be frank A-levels aren't good showing academic abilities either way), so I would say your grades are good.
Just forget about them and enjoy your degree (or whatever you are doing). I am going to be applying for training contracts and vac schemes, so maybe it is just the law firms being exceptionally picky with A-levels and that's why I may sound a bit harsh sometimes when it comes to grades.
Reply 14
Resit the A levels you're doing while you're doing first year at uni. Then you can get AAA and go uni.
Hello.

Any help regarding this?

Thanks.

ABB will not hinder employment prospects for 95% of employers. 95% of employers tend to have an ABB-BBB minimum A-Level Requirement to apply for grad schemes and so forth, and they don't really care what you get above that as long as you get that.

The 5% of employers which it "may" (and I do use 'may' loosely - as if you improve on other aspects of an application, like degree grade, extracurriculars etc then it simply won't matter) only really affect the top Investment Banks and Strategy Consulting Firms (so the very best in the finance industry). If this is not where you are aiming, then relax, your grades are good and will take you far. Even if this is where you are aiming, still relax, the grades will get you past the minimum requirement and if you get a 2:1/1st then you're in good stead with everyone else.*

Quick Reply

Latest