The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Official imperial college london 2017 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarkEnergy
Incorrect. "[To get an A*], candidates must get a grade A on the A Level overall and achieve at least 90% of the UMS on the core A2 units combined(units C3 and C4)." (source)

Therefore, even if you scraped a B at AS with 210 UMS, you could still get an A* if you got 90 UMS in each of your A2 modules.

I stand corrected.

So for Further Maths this year I got FP1 = 81, S2 = 81, M2 = 90. To get an A* do I need to get the FP2 and FP3 average to be 90+, or is it the average of S2, FP2, FP3 and M3 (M3 I will do this coming year)?

EDIT:
"For Further Mathematics, the A*grade will be awarded to candidates achieving a grade A overall at A level and 90% of the maximum uniform marks on the aggregate of the three best A2 units which contributed to Further Mathematics. " http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/microsites/mathematics/gce/faqs/
(edited 7 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by TiernanW
So for Further Maths this year I got FP1 = 81, S2 = 81, M2 = 90. To get an A* do I need to get the FP2 and FP3 average to be 90+, or is it the average of S2, FP2, FP3 and M3 (M3 I will do this coming year)?

For Further Maths, you need 80% on the A Level overall and at least 90% of the UMS on your three best A2 units. So modules will be swapped between normal Maths and Further Maths to get the right combination.
what are the chances of me getting accepted to study Biochemistry with these AS results
Psychology: A
Chemistry: B
Biology: B

predicted grades: AAA
Imperial entry requirements: AAA

also i'm taking a gap year with the hope of improving a few of A2 exams as i did not do so well.
Intended Subject: Mathematics

GCSES: 3A* 6A 2B

AS level : AAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics)

A level prediction: Probably A*A*A*A*, or A*A*A*A at worst.

Extracurricular:
Not much to be honest but it isn't really needed for maths. Hoping a good MAT score makes up for this and poor GCSES. Some of the gcses on this thread depress me.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Original post by TheRandomGenius
Intended Subject: Mathematics

GCSES: 3A* 6A 2B

AS level : AAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics)

A level prediction: Probably A*A*A*A*, or A*A*A*A at worst.

Extracurricular:
Not much to be honest but it isn't really needed for maths. Hoping a good MAT score makes up for this and poor GCSES. Some of the gcses on this thread depress me.

Are you keeping all four subjects?
Original post by DarkPlatinum
Are you keeping all four subjects?

Yep, you?
Just adding myself to this thread.

Intended Subject: Chemical Engineering
GCSE Grades: 8A*s, 4A's and 2B's
AS-level (Actual): AAAABC (Maths, FM, Chemistry, Physics, General Studies and EPQ)
A-level (Actual): A*A*A*A (Maths, FM, Chemistry and Physics)
Extracurriculars: Blegh
Oh I remember when I was posting in these threads as a university applicant xd
good luck to you all
Original post by NeverLucky

AS-level (Actual): AAAABC (Maths, FM, Chemistry, Physics, General Studies and EPQ)

'Blegh' 😂 Pretty much my response too
Original post by TheRandomGenius
'Blegh' 😂 Pretty much my response too

Haha I just don't think it's that important for unis such as Imperial. As long as your grades are strong, chances are you'll get an interview and then you can truly impress them.
Haha I just don't think it's that important for unis such as Imperial. As long as your grades are strong, chances are you'll get an interview and then you can truly impress them.

Imperial don't interview routinely for my course fortunately. Have to rely on my probable A*A*A*A* prediction plus a strong mat score to impress them.

Original post by OGFakiie
Chemical Engineering
GCSE: 2A* 6A 2B (not great:frown:)
AS(predicted): AAA (maths Chem biology)
A2(hoping for): A*A*A
extracurricular: Maths mentor for post-16 students for a year, volunteer in a café in a hospital, homework helper in local library, captained secondary school cricket team, attended Chem Eng. lectures at Uni of notts&sheffield...

What else should I include in my personal statement? I've done a load of extra reading if that helps:tongue: And are my gcse's good enough, and will I be disadvantaged with only studying 3 Alevels?

Hi there, I also want to study Chemical Engineering but I've been finding actually reading relevant books quite challenging, could you recommend me any cheap books that actually give an insight into Chemical Engineering??
Original post by timster32
Hi there, I also want to study Chemical Engineering but I've been finding actually reading relevant books quite challenging, could you recommend me any cheap books that actually give an insight into Chemical Engineering??

Introduction to Chemical Engineering: tools for today and tomorrow , this is a good book, but isn't too cheap. Around £25/30 from amazon:smile:
Introduction to Chemical Engineering: tools for today and tomorrow , this is a good book, but isn't too cheap. Around £25/30 from amazon:smile:

Ahhh little bit on the expensive side but I'll see what I can do, thanks for the recommendation!

Dam your grades are amazing! How were you able to do 14GCSEs and 5AS levels though? :biggrin:
Ahhh little bit on the expensive side but I'll see what I can do, thanks for the recommendation!

You could always try asking your college/sixth form librarian to order a copy for you? I did this and they were more than happy too:biggrin:
Chemical Engineering
GCSE: 6A* 5A 1B
AS- I took Maths and German where I got an A and a B respectively (I am dropping German).
I will be doing Maths, Further, Physics and Chemistry for A2.
extracurricular: Helped to run some Maths Masterclasses for Year 9's, helped with reading at a local primary school, gone on Headstart and Smallpiece taster courses. I also like to play football, rugby, cricket and I got to grade 5 violin before I quit.
(edited 7 years ago)
You could always try asking your college/sixth form librarian to order a copy for you? I did this and they were more than happy too:biggrin:

Yeah I would but I'm not sure how much I would have to pay, considering my school likes to charge absolutely everything to the bill...
Yeah I would but I'm not sure how much I would have to pay, considering my school likes to charge absolutely everything to the bill...

Ahh okay, you could still give it a try.:biggrin: If you don't mind me asking, but how do you take part, or find out about these head start courses/tasters etc..
Ahh okay, you could still give it a try.:biggrin: If you don't mind me asking, but how do you take part, or find out about these head start courses/tasters etc..

Haha I will. Well it would be too late unfortunately for you as it's only for Year 12's but my school told me about Headstart and the Smallpiece trust, I just had to do some digging on my own. They were really helpful in terms of getting a flavour of the different engineering disciplines and what studying engineering at univeristy is like but it's not incredibly important. It's all about just looking everywhere, the internet should be your best friend!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending