The Student Room Group

calling all Alevel Maths students; HELP :-(

Could someone simply explain how to get an A* in Alevel maths over all. Do you have to get over 90 UMS in all maths AS modules and then over 90 in A2 too or do you just have to get all A's in AS even if theyre not 90 and you only have to get over 90 in A2 modules for it to be A* overall? I'm ever so confused :frown: Also, please advise me whether I should resit the whole year despite getting A's in two modules out of three or just that one module which I didn't do well in.
Reply 1
Original post by mygcserevision
Could someone simply explain how to get an A* in Alevel maths over all. Do you have to get over 90 UMS in all maths AS modules and then over 90 in A2 too or do you just have to get all A's in AS even if theyre not 90 and you only have to get over 90 in A2 modules for it to be A* overall? I'm ever so confused :frown: Also, please advise me whether I should resit the whole year despite getting A's in two modules out of three or just that one module which I didn't do well in.

My friend got an A* and he got 94+ in all modules apart from D1 in which he performed poorly and achieved a mere mid 60 UMS score. But yeah typically aim for 90 UMS for all modules.
Just a 90 ums average over core three and four with a total of at least 480 ums
Original post by Vl7d
My friend got an A* and he got 94+ in all modules apart from D1 in which he performed poorly and achieved a mere mid 60 UMS score. But yeah typically aim for 90 UMS for all modules.

Ignore this thing

You just need an average of 90ums in c3 and c4 and an average of 80ums in all modules
Original post by Lucasium
Just a 90 ums average over core three and four with a total of at least 480 ums

so even if you don't get 90's in AS, but do it A2, can you still get overall A*?
so even if you don't get 90's in AS, but do it A2, can you still get overall A*?

Take a guess
Original post by Vl7d

Did he not resit D1? I heard its the easiest Alevel but have never tried it myself!

Whatever gets you 480 UMS across all 6 modules with C3/4 averaging 90+ UMS together. That's how you get A*.

yes pal....easy right?
If you resit and do worse in the resit, do they pick the best grade or the most recent (the resat one)?
To get an A* in A Level maths you need to have a TOTAL UMS of at least 480/600 with at least 180 UMS coming from C3 and C4
If you resit and do worse in the resit, do they pick the best grade or the most recent (the resat one)?

The best grade
Technically, some people could get a B at AS level and can get an A* at A2 but not an A. As the requirement is just an A overall but an average of 90+ UMS in C3 and C4 the people that only just manage the A had to get 90 in C3 and C4 to do so , so they get an A*. So yes you can get an A* in A2 without having got it (above 90) at AS
I got A* in maths
C1-85
C2-79
S1-93
C3-94
C4-100
M1-90

So no, you don't need 90% at AS, the only things that matter for A* is c3+c4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gogregg
To get an A* in A Level maths you need to have a TOTAL UMS of at least 480/600 with at least 180 UMS coming from C3 and C4

So you could get strong 90's in your AS modules, but if you don't have 90+ in c3 and c4 you cant get A* overall? Say if you get overall 480 UMS but don't have abover 90 in c3 or c4?
So you could get strong 90's in your AS modules, but if you don't have 90+ in c3 and c4 you cant get A* overall? Say if you get overall 480 UMS but don't have abover 90 in c3 or c4?

You don't need both C3 and C4 to be at 90+ UMS, just for the UMS of both modules to add up to 180 UMS.

If you got 300 UMS at AS Level, then say, C3 - 89 C4 - 91 D1 - 99 with a total UMS of 579/600 you would get an A*.
If you got 300 UMS at AS Level, then say, C3 - 89 C4 - 90 D1 - 100 with a total UMS of 579/600 you wouldn't get an A*. You would instead get an A

If you got 180 UMS at AS Level, and then, C3 - 100 C4 - 100 S1 - 100 with a total UMS of 480/600 you would get an A*
If you got 180 UMS at AS Level, and then, C3 - 100 C4 - 99 S1 - 100 with a total UMS of 479/600 you wouldn't get an A*. You would instead get a B.

EDIT: The applied modules used are just used because they're what I thought of using, not because you would have to do them at A2 or that they would have to be done at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey buddy, don't worry about an A*. Just try the best you can and you'll get the grade you performed.
Reply 18

I got:
C1 - 87
C2 - 80
S1 - 94
C3 - 90
C4 - 92
M1 - 96

Overall - 539/600 which is greater than 480, so I get at least an A

For C3 and C4 I got an average of 91, where you need an average of 90 to get an A*, so I get an A*

Both of those requirements - an overall UMS of 480+ and a C3/C4 average of 90+ - must be fulfilled in order to get an A*. There are no other requirements (note my overall UMS is actually 1 ums off a 90% average)

Quick Reply

Latest