The Student Room Group

Today is the two month anniversary of the Brexit referendum

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dodgypirate
You don't deserve our forgiveness.

Good I'm not willing to forgive you then.

Otherwise that would have been awkward :smile:
Original post by joecphillips
I'm still happy about the result and believe we should activate article 50 asap and at the latest February, the French and the Germans both have elections next year and they are the most influential members and it would put pressure on them in negotiations.

I actually think this is a reason to wait until during/after the election process. It's fair to say (if opinion polls are to be believed) that the people of Europe at turning more Eurosceptic. This means we should be more likely to get a better deal if other Eurosceptic politicians are in power in Germany & France which could be the case after these elections.

As long as we do leave I'm not particularly concerned how long it takes within reason. The short term negative effects of leaving haven't come true & probably won't if the latest predictions are anything to go off. The true test will be in 10-15 years time; I'm not sure the EU will still be standing at that point.
Reply 22
Original post by Athematica
On the contrary, the economist argues we should wait until after those election, so that we understand the landscape a little better

Original post by Tempest II
I actually think this is a reason to wait until during/after the election process. It's fair to say (if opinion polls are to be believed) that the people of Europe at turning more Eurosceptic. This means we should be more likely to get a better deal if other Eurosceptic politicians are in power in Germany & France which could be the case after these elections.

As long as we do leave I'm not particularly concerned how long it takes within reason. The short term negative effects of leaving haven't come true & probably won't if the latest predictions are anything to go off. The true test will be in 10-15 years time; I'm not sure the EU will still be standing at that point.

Merkel is the major player in this and she is under pressure and needs a win, if she was able to go and say we have negotiated a fair deal in which Britain retains a free trade it would help her get businesses on her side and the closer to the election date it gets the more pressure she will be under and she may get desperate.
It's clear that the government is going to go with a Norway style deal, which is essentially exactly what we had before but without a veto... They will then try and frame it as some kind of victory for the people which the dailymail crowd will eat up.
Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 16.23.01.png
Reply 25
I'm still alive
No point invoking till we have prepared properly and go a definite straegy on what we want and what compromises we are willing to make, not least about access to the single market and free movement of people.

Its still way too early to tell plus we havent even left yet.
We dont have any significnat data yet and will really need to wait for 5 or 10 years till we can start assessing what the impact has been.
Things priced in $ have gone up a fair bit.
Original post by alevelstresss
I am currently celebrating the opening of 8 new hospitals in Weymouth, South Thanet, Boston, Bournemouth East, etc... we took our country back from those damn muslim immigrants and their backwards culture, and unelected representatives

Spoiler

I never said Brexit has happened; I referenced the EU referendum, which the Brexit camp had won.

Yes, the referendum is advisory; not legally binding.

"It's not going to happen for years" it's too early to tell.

"it was basically a mass opinion poll for whether or not you like how things have been going for the last 8 years" it wasn't merely anti-establishment and a whim. There have been quite a lot of reasons that can be nuanced.

Original post by Duncan2012
The world hasn't stopped turning, there's been no rioting, no disasters on the stock markets, no emergency budget, no mass exodus of Brits and no mass influx of Europeans. We have a credible PM in place and European leaders are now talking about the need to be constructive toward the UK. China wants to invest billions in the UK, while Australia, India, the US and many others want trade deals. Some deluded European leaders are saying 'borders are bad' and now 'we want our own army'. But we'll be out of their mess before too long.

Life is good.

I like your positive attitude; it's refreshing.

Original post by Rlove95
Calm before the storm.

Still haven't forgiven Brexiters yet.

Quite a lot of Brexiteers said "it was going to be a bumpy ride" OWTTE.

And what exactly haven't you forgiven Brexiteers for?

And to echo someone else's post, I'm quite sure Brexiteers don't want your forgiveness.

Original post by Abstract_Prism
I'm disappointed that they're dragging their feet and haven't invoked Article 50.

They're not going to do it. They're going to drag it out long enough that they hope people forget.

It's not in our best interest to trigger Article 50 straight away.

Give it some time, like until March next year, then call them out on it.

It's still too early to tell if they are going to do it.

1) It's not legally binding; There is still hope
2) We won't trigger article 50 until at least mid-2017 because:
-If we do it now, we dont get a vote on our exit terms and it is decided by the other 27(?) members
-We need to establish trade relationships elsewhere in the meantime
3) By the 3 years or so it'll take to complete, I'll hopefully be long-gone :smile:

There's still hope? For a dictatorial move? Well I suppose you can call this referendum populist. But I can both argue the faults of democracy, dictatorship etc.

Why do you want to remain in the EU?

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Sorry but what is the point in this thread?

If you had read a few of the responses you would have seen...

Original post by Rorschach II
lol I was just trying to provoke and see if people were still edgy about it.

I was just trying to provoke people.

Original post by lostintrnslation
i'm still really not impressed with how the election turned out but as long as i leave the uk asap, it won't matter to me. i think that if we really do have to leave the eu, then we have to do it right. people who are demanding for article 50 to be invoked immediately are annoying me a bit bc we have to figure out what we are going to do. the bad decision that has been made needs to be dealt with in the best possible way, and that means that we need a plan. the fact that bigoted people won this referendum still makes me feel physically sick, and only encourages me to leave this close-minded country...

Those demanding to trigger Article 50 straight away/immediately are annoying me a bit too.

What is disgusting though is that you think all leave voters are bigoted people. That is well and truly disgusting. There are many reasons one can fault the EU for and you're just reducing the leave camp to xenophobia. Utter tripe your post is.
Finally a post on here that is relevant to my interests............
I never said Brexit has happened; I referenced the EU referendum, which the Brexit camp had won.

"it was basically a mass opinion poll for whether or not you like how things have been going for the last 8 years" it wasn't merely anti-establishment and a whim. There have been quite a lot of reasons that can be nuanced.

And to echo someone else's post, I'm quite sure Brexiteers don't want your forgiveness.

There's still hope? For a dictatorial move? Well I suppose you can call this referendum populist. But I can both argue the faults of democracy, dictatorship etc.

Those demanding to trigger Article 50 straight away/immediately are annoying me a bit too.

What is disgusting though is that you think all leave voters are bigoted people. That is well and truly disgusting. There are many reasons one can fault the EU for and you're just reducing the leave camp to xenophobia. Utter tripe your post is.

I read all the posts in this thread and yet I still fail to see the point in this thread

It's not legally binding. Lets have another referendum that is.
Reply 31
It's not legally binding. Lets have another referendum that is.

How many more do you want? Do we have to keep doing it until the result goes how you like?
How many more do you want? Do we have to keep doing it until the result goes how you like?

Just one that is legally binding. Thanks.

And, yes, preferably.
Reply 33
Just one that is legally binding. Thanks.

And, yes, preferably.

No referendum in the history of the U.K. Has ever been legally binding why should we change it now just because anti democratic people like you dislike how the majority voted and would like the majority ignored because of a technicality?

When we joined the EU the people didn't have a say and now they have yet you want to go to when the people don't have a say.
No referendum in the history of the U.K. Has ever been legally binding why should we change it now just because anti democratic people like you dislike how the majority voted and would like the majority ignored because of a technicality?

So you're saying we shouldn't do it because it's always been this way, and we shouldn't revisit because we've already decided and it should be final? What an awful philosophy.

I actually wasn't eligible to vote before. I am now. I'm sure the next time around we'll have a bigger turnout again which would be more reflective of people's views and therefore more democratic.

And, hey, if we win, I'll happily make it best 2/3 :wink:
Reply 35
So you're saying we shouldn't do it because it's always been this way, and we shouldn't revisit because we've already decided and it should be final? What an awful philosophy.

I actually wasn't eligible to vote before. I am now. I'm sure the next time around we'll have a bigger turnout again which would be more reflective of people's views and therefore more democratic.

The turnout for this referendum was one of the biggest for any political vote in this country, so should we redo every vote that has had a smaller turnout?

I'm saying it should be final as that is what it was meant to be, we don't redo election because one side got upset so we shouldn't for this.
The turnout for this referendum was one of the biggest for any political vote in this country, so should we redo every vote that has had a smaller turnout?

I'm saying it should be final as that is what it was meant to be, we don't redo election because one side got upset so we shouldn't for this.

We will if enough people want it. Because that would be democratic.
Reply 37
We will if enough people want it. Because that would be democratic.

It will never be enough for people like you, the goalposts will always be moved to ensure it goes a certain way.

If the vote had been 52% remain 48% leave would you be asking for a second referendum? Would you be okay with parliament deciding to leave anyway despite it being against the referendum result? If you can honestly say yes to these then you might have some principled reason for wanting another referendum etc. beyond not liking the fact the result didn't go the way you wanted it to.

you know what really is well and truly disgusting? that there are people out there, in the uk, who hate immigrants so much that they voted away their children and grandchildren's futures. of course i can't generalise every single person who voted leave, as that would be me reaching their level of close-mindedness. i am ashamed to be from the same country as these people. people who really believe that a qualified immigrant is stealing their jobs when they themselves have no qualifications. people who think that someone's ethnicity is more important than their life. are you proud to have voted the same way as these people? are you proud to belong to a group of people that mainly consists of disgusting, low-rise racists? you know what else is 'utter tripe'? the leave campaign. where's that 350 million we were promised every week or every day or whatever it was? the remain campaign wasn't without its faults but that's irrelevant now leave have won. you voted for lies. are you pleased? what have we gained from this? absolutely **** all. we haven't got control back in the slightest, that's 'utter tripe' if i've ever heard it. it is laughable that so many people fell for nigel farage's ********. no matter why you voted, you are on the same side as these disgusting people.

Quick Reply

Latest