The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Haha. Quick Question(i dnt know if you know the answer).
But were the number of 1,1+this year ~160 like most other years?
Also how many places have been given approximately? It is still 250 right? Despite the student cap lifting stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've not increased the number of places. Cambridge's been uninterested generally in the raising of the cap.

I can't tell you how many got 1,1 (It would take a while to find out and it's not that interesting for me, unlike you guys!). I can say that 26.5% of entrants for a 1 or an S in STEP II and 36.6% in STEP III if that's of interest.
Sorry imfirst in line.
U already have 2 so ur at the back of the line. Sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol
Surprised we do not have a STEP Prep Thread 2017 yet, could have sworn we had a 2016 one by this time last year.
Reply 3283
Original post by 16Characters....
Surprised we do not have a STEP Prep Thread 2017 yet, could have sworn we had a 2016 one by this time last year.

We always were the more enthusiastic bunch, but thanks for reminding me. I'll have to set one up soon.
Original post by Zacken
We always were the more enthusiastic bunch, but thanks for reminding me. I'll have to set one up soon.

Translation: We are the OGs, might as well ban STEP threads cuz it peaked with us

Posted from TSR Mobile
DUKE GLACIA.
Hes a proper lad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know other christian mathematicians or Stem/step guys ?
P.S. I think christians is a nickname for you know who. I despise it but i admit it's more convenient.
Original post by Vesniep
Do you know other christian mathematicians or Stem/step guys ?
P.S. I think christians is a nickname for you know who. I despise it but i admit it's more convenient.

I am :smile:, sat for step 1, christ's engineer
Can someone give me a bit of information on reapplying to either Oxford or Cambridge Maths?
I had a Cambridge offer this year for maths but achieved S,1,3 with the 1 being 5 marks below an S. In the STEP 3 exam I had a migraine which meant I obviously couldn't perform anything close to properly. That was the only paper all year I got below a 1 in but I was rejected. I also got 4A*s in Maths, FM, Physics and Economics with 98.1 across maths/fm, 95.7 across physics and 92 across economics for the entire A levels.

If I wanted to reapply with these A level would I be a strong candidate (thinking more for Oxford maths) or would they look down heavily on me being a gap year student? The reason for the gap year is feeling it was unfair to reject me based on a migraine rather than not being good enough). Also what can I do in a year off that is seen as valuable
Reply 3288
Original post by maths52
Can someone give me a bit of information on reapplying to either Oxford or Cambridge Maths?
I had a Cambridge offer this year for maths but achieved S,1,3 with the 1 being 5 marks below an S. In the STEP 3 exam I had a migraine which meant I obviously couldn't perform anything close to properly. That was the only paper all year I got below a 1 in but I was rejected. I also got 4A*s in Maths, FM, Physics and Economics with 98.1 across maths/fm, 95.7 across physics and 92 across economics for the entire A levels.

If I wanted to reapply with these A level would I be a strong candidate (thinking more for Oxford maths) or would they look down heavily on me being a gap year student? The reason for the gap year is feeling it was unfair to reject me based on a migraine rather than not being good enough). Also what can I do in a year off that is seen as valuable

Yes, you would be a very competitive applicant, for both Oxford and Cambridge maths. You can do some olympiad stuff, take an A-Level in AFM.

The best thing to do would be to email a handful of colleges that you want to apply to, send them what you've just sent us and ask them for advice, would you be likely to be accepted at that college/interviewed/given an offer, ask them whether taking an A-Level in AFM would be a good idea, or some oylmpiad experience, etc... it differs from college to college massively. The best bet is to write the email and send it to 5/6 different colleges, judge from their replies (some will be enthusiastic about having you, others will be more reluctant, others yet will give a flat out rejection), but it's the best start,
Reply 3289
By the way, for those people whose marks I predicted, would you mind telling me (or PM-ing me) how close/far I was with my prediction? Just want to see whether I'm any good at it, thanks. :smile:
Original post by maths52

Yeh I echo the above on what zacken said.
I got worse grades then you, reapplied and got an offer and I basically did everything zacken said.
That being said, since your a levels are so strong I think you would have a great chance at Oxford(more then Cam) and beware Cam will most likely give an S,1 offer or maybe higher.
Do the emailing and then see fron there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
By the way, for those people whose marks I predicted, would you mind telling me (or PM-ing me) how close/far I was with my prediction? Just want to see whether I'm any good at it, thanks. :smile:

Ur predicting is ****.
U said u got 68 in II and got 82. Ur full retard mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken

what were my grade boundary predictions and how close was I to actual?
Original post by Zacken

You kind of predicted my scores, but I didn't give a lot of information to go on.
STEP 3: '20 + 14 + 2 + 20 + 14 + blah blah > 67 = 1 for sure'
STEP 2: 'Well done, sounds like a pretty certain S'
Reply 3294
Original post by shamika
what were my grade boundary predictions and how close was I to actual?

Yours: 99/70/60 in II
Actual: 95/74/65 in II

Not sure you posted any numerical predictions for the other papers. Still, your predictions aren't too shabby.
Reply 3295
Original post by EricPiphany
You kind of predicted my scores, but I didn't give a lot of information to go on.
STEP 3: '20 + 14 + 2 + 20 + 14 + blah blah > 67 = 1 for sure'
STEP 2: 'Well done, sounds like a pretty certain S'

Was I right?
Original post by Zacken
Was I right?

Yeah, I got SS1.
Original post by Zacken

This year's lot must be cooler than we were, so they aren't spending their summer doing STEP.
Original post by 16Characters....
This year's lot must be cooler than we were, so they aren't spending their summer doing STEP.

Speak for yourself lol :wink: I was self studying C3 and C4, there was a lot of trig and integration to learn...
Original post by EricPiphany
Speak for yourself lol :wink: I was self studying C3 and C4, there was a lot of trig and integration to learn...

Trig...that's circles and stuff right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply