The Student Room Group

Anyone done BSc Psychology at Kings College London?

How is the Psychology BSc at Kings College London?

This is the second year of its running and I am thinking of making it my first choice for my 2017 entry. I have done work experience within the Psychology department of KCL and was almost certain that it would be my top choice.

After doing research, however, I haven't seen too many Psych graduates talking about it/recommending it (obviously because it's a fairly new course). Not to mention the fact that it is 23rd in the league tables which seems impossible to me as it has one of the leading departments for Psych (if anyone has any reason as to why, please let me know)
...so to those who have completed the degree at Kings, how is it? And to those who have just gotten into Kings to do Psych, why did you see it to be the best choice for you?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LenniesRabbit

This is the second year of its running and I am thinking of making it my first choice for my 2017 entry. I have done work experience within the Psychology department of KCL and was almost certain that it would be my top choice.

After doing research, however, I haven't seen too many Psych graduates talking about it/recommending it (obviously because it's a fairly new course). Not to mention the fact that it is 23rd in the league tables which seems impossible to me as it has one of the leading departments for Psych (if anyone has any reason as to why, please let me know)
...so to those who have completed the degree at Kings, how is it? And to those who have just gotten into Kings to do Psych, why did you see it to be the best choice for you?

Thanks

Im not at Kinds. But Are you looking at http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Student+Satisfaction&s=psychology ??

Well, they haven't got any graduate employment statistics for obvious reasons, and you'd expect satisfaction with teaching to be a bit lower to begin with as any new course will have teething problems to sort out- but if you rank according to research quality it scores quite highly.

As far as i can tell from their site they don't have a massive psychology department, so the range of research looks a bit limited (which would in turn limit the types of projects you can do in third year).

Thanks

I would take the rankings with a pinch of salt as its a fairly new course. Kings college alone will open a lot of doors to employers as it's a high ranking university and has a lot of employer links.
Original post by iammichealjackson
Im not at Kinds. But Are you looking at http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Student+Satisfaction&s=psychology ??

Well, they haven't got any graduate employment statistics for obvious reasons, and you'd expect satisfaction with teaching to be a bit lower to begin with as any new course will have teething problems to sort out- but if you rank according to research quality it scores quite highly.

As far as i can tell from their site they don't have a massive psychology department, so the range of research looks a bit limited (which would in turn limit the types of projects you can do in third year).

Hi, yes those were the rankings I was looking at. Yeah I see what you mean in terms of the scoring actually. I've had a chance to check out the department thoroughly and they seem quite good. Thank you so much for your help, it's put my mind at rest!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I would take the rankings with a pinch of salt as its a fairly new course. Kings college alone will open a lot of doors to employers as it's a high ranking university and has a lot of employer links.

Very true, thats a good point. Thank you for your help. I'll definitely consider putting it as my first option now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you visited? It was some of my top choices and then I didn't even apply.

I didn't like the feel of it at all, they were rude and unhelpful for the most part, and I couldn't deal with commuting in from accommodation every time.

If you haven't visited, I'd strongly advise to go! :h:
Original post by A-LJLB
Have you visited? It was some of my top choices and then I didn't even apply.

I didn't like the feel of it at all, they were rude and unhelpful for the most part, and I couldn't deal with commuting in from accommodation every time.

If you haven't visited, I'd strongly advise to go! :h:

Hmm, yeah, honestly during the open day they were a little inattentive and quite unhelpful I agree with that.

Are you intending to study a Psychology course or something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm, yeah, honestly during the open day they were a little inattentive and quite unhelpful I agree with that.

Are you intending to study a Psychology course or something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Psychology, my circumstances are not the norm but I will be going to uni next September :h:

Thanks

While the BSc Psychology course at Kings is new, the important fact is that it is being run via the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, possibly one of the most prestigious research institutes in the UK, if not the world, when it comes to mental health (famous for the first clinical psychology training programme in Britain). That place is very research intensive and attached to South London and Maudsley trust there will be a lot of potential contacts, research opportunities and clinical links if an undergraduate is able to make them.

However, that may be a good reason not to go there. If someone's interest are towards educational psych, or sports and exercise they may be better off going to a place where the department is more suited to that rather than the clinical/research/forensic strengths. Similarly, its a fairly driven, results oriented place so I can't imagine it being a good fit for someone laid back and into partying more than studying. Plus, it being in London it's going to more expensive.
Original post by Lord Asriel
While the BSc Psychology course at Kings is new, the important fact is that it is being run via the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, possibly one of the most prestigious research institutes in the UK, if not the world, when it comes to mental health (famous for the first clinical psychology training programme in Britain). That place is very research intensive and attached to South London and Maudsley trust there will be a lot of potential contacts, research opportunities and clinical links if an undergraduate is able to make them.

However, that may be a good reason not to go there. If someone's interest are towards educational psych, or sports and exercise they may be better off going to a place where the department is more suited to that rather than the clinical/research/forensic strengths. Similarly, its a fairly driven, results oriented place so I can't imagine it being a good fit for someone laid back and into partying more than studying. Plus, it being in London it's going to more expensive.

Hi, thank you for your help. I completely agree. It's links to Maudsley are what had drawn me to it. I really like the emphasis on research into mental health the most and I'm not too much into Educational Psych/Sports Psych.

Luckily I already live in London so I am very used to the expense! 😭 Thank you again for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, thank you for your help. I completely agree. It's links to Maudsley are what had drawn me to it. I really like the emphasis on research into mental health the most and I'm not too much into Educational Psych/Sports Psych.

Luckily I already live in London so I am very used to the expense! 😭 Thank you again for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll be living at home then?
Original post by A-LJLB
You'll be living at home then?

I'm undecided in that aspect, because living at home would be cheaper BUT I really would like to experience campus accommodation life so I'm going to have to start saving a little in order to afford rent. To be honest I'd probably end up staying at home.

Unfortunately Kings' cheapest accommodation are a bit of a distance from my psychology campuses so that will be a bit of a strain too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm undecided in that aspect, because living at home would be cheaper BUT I really would like to experience campus accommodation life so I'm going to have to start saving a little in order to afford rent. To be honest I'd probably end up staying at home.

Unfortunately Kings' cheapest accommodation are a bit of a distance from my psychology campuses so that will be a bit of a strain too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely consider it - however, I remember when I visited that those outside London get priority. Don't take my word for it, as this was two years ago!
Hi, my name is Valeria and I'm a 2nd year student on the King's BSc Psychology course :smile: I'm so sorry for just seeing this! We've just started our term again, and it's been slightly hectic (as with any university course!).

I understand you have a few concerns, and I would like to apologise if the open day wasn't as attentive as it could've been! At times, it can be slightly overwhelming with many people asking you questions. Hopefully I can help ease some concerns by answering them now!

The rankings will be quite lacklustre simply because the first cohort (my year group) has not graduated yet. However our BSc degree reflects the quality of the master degree course, do feel free to talk a lot at those rankings!

Thank you investigating and appreciating the fact that our department is under the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN). As such, we don't really focus on arts and sports psychology. However we recognise psychology is a great base for other subjects, and we are constantly adding more courses such as Occupational Psychology to extend into other fields. But being apart of the IoPPN means that we get to use their facilities and gain insight from guest lecturers researching / practicing in the field.

As you guys have discussed, there is a priority to assign students outside of the M25 a place in our accommodations. In my first year, I actually lived in New Cross Gate (zone 2, slightly further away from campus but the cheapest ensuite option). However, being from London, I'm sure you know we have great transportation links! Actually living in zone 2, I was able to take the train into London Bridge which only took 7 minutes! On the other hand, people who would walk would actually take longer. So really on the surface it may seem far, but because there was a train link, we were able to get into campus really quickly and efficiently. Our accommodation locations really do take into consideration which campus you will be studying at, and allocate you accordingly.

I hope I've answered your questions and do message if you have any more :smile:
Hi, I know this is quite an old post but I just came across it and have the same concerns as you!

I'm still debating on whether to firm Kings, and couldn't find it on the league tables for Psychology but knowing the reasons behind that, I'm a little more comfortable now.

Have you firmed Kings? and decided on where you will be staying?
Original post by iqrauni87
Hi, I know this is quite an old post but I just came across it and have the same concerns as you!

I'm still debating on whether to firm Kings, and couldn't find it on the league tables for Psychology but knowing the reasons behind that, I'm a little more comfortable now.

Have you firmed Kings? and decided on where you will be staying?

Hi, yep I've decided to firm King's! I'm pretty sure that this course will be amazing after visiting open days and offer holders days so I'm very happy with the decision.
At King's unusually you can't choose where you live but I have decided to live in the accommodation - not at home. I think it was the best choice to get the most out of and the full experience of that £9250 a year :biggrin:

If you are planning to firm King's let me know if you want? it'd be good to get to know people before the course starts!
Hi, yep I've decided to firm King's! I'm pretty sure that this course will be amazing after visiting open days and offer holders days so I'm very happy with the decision.
At King's unusually you can't choose where you live but I have decided to live in the accommodation - not at home. I think it was the best choice to get the most out of and the full experience of that £9250 a year :biggrin:

If you are planning to firm King's let me know if you want? it'd be good to get to know people before the course starts!

I'm still deciding (was choosing between Edinburgh and Kings) but after some more research, I think Im leaning towards Kings!!

Where did you end up choosing for your accomodation? and yes, it would be great to know someone beforehand, especially since I'm coming from abroad, and you're familiar with the city!
Original post by iqrauni87
I'm still deciding (was choosing between Edinburgh and Kings) but after some more research, I think Im leaning towards Kings!!

Where did you end up choosing for your accomodation? and yes, it would be great to know someone beforehand, especially since I'm coming from abroad, and you're familiar with the city!

King's don't let you choose what accomodation you want, unfortunately! You just select your income and whether you want ensuite and non-ensuite. From there they choose it for you! :/

Hey! :biggrin: Are you still going to King's this September?!
Hi,I know this is a post from last year but right now, I’m trying to decide if I should firm King’s. Your insight as an undergraduate may help me. I’d really appreciate it if you could answer some of my questions regarding student life at King’s. So first of all, are you satisfied with the lectures, courses, labs and the academic aspect in general? What was the most challenging part of the first year? How are the social clubs, extracurricular activities? To what extent do they play a part in your adaptation to Kings and London? Thank you in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest