The Student Room Group

Computer Science

If I do a masters in computer science what jobs can this lead to? Also what sort salary ranges am I looking at? Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by qdot121
If I do a masters in computer science what jobs can this lead to? Also what sort salary ranges am I looking at? Thank you.

Depends what you want to do and the second question depends on the first question.

Do you want to be technical (Software Engineering, Security, Data Science, Web Dev, App Dev, analytics, algo trading)? Do you want to just be in a general business role (HR, consulting, banking, general management, accounting)?

Where do you want to work? For a large company on a grad scheme in London/South East? A smaller company in the regions?

It's not just a simple, what jobs can I do and what will they pay. You could pretty much do any job and you could get paid anything (or even nothing).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you. Im unsure if computer science can lead me to a good job with a good pay. I dont know what I want to go into. Ive not decided if i want to go into it but i want to know if its a recommended field to go into.
Original post by qdot121
Thank you. Im unsure if computer science can lead me to a good job with a good pay. I dont know what I want to go into. Ive not decided if i want to go into it but i want to know if its a recommended field to go into.

Oh dear, good job and good pay could mean whatever. If you're interested in learning about CompSci for 3-4 years, go for it but most degrees don't guarantee anything - so be weary about having to build up a strong CV for whatever path you choose to go down.

I would absolutely recommend CompSci, just as I would any other academic degree. Although word of warning, do start thinking about careers now and not when you're in your last year of uni, only to find yourself jobless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by qdot121

Basing your degree choice on your expected salary is the worst thing you could possibly do - otherwise nobody would say 'I want to be the Prime Minister' or 'I want to be an artist' because 99% of people who go for these goals don't end up rich and don't succeed as well as they would've hoped. Don't do a degree for 3-4 years on a subject you don't care about because it pays well.
Reply 5
Thank you for all your help im going to think it through.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending