The Student Room Group

Dropping a linear subject

If I drop my linear subject, will uni's still count it as a fourth subject I did at AS? I took a mock exam in it.
As far as I'm aware a subject that is dropped in the linear system is counted as an AS grade which is worth half an A level. I would email one of your lecturers if I were you to confirm this.
Original post by elleinterrupted
If I drop my linear subject, will uni's still count it as a fourth subject I did at AS? I took a mock exam in it.

As you only took a mock in it which presumably was marked by your teachers you don't have a qualification and there's nothing for universities to count.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vikingninja
As far as I'm aware a subject that is dropped in the linear system is counted as an AS grade which is worth half an A level. I would email one of your lecturers if I were you to confirm this.

Thank you! This was a question following on from your reply on my Job question, so thanks! haha
Original post by gdunne42
As you only took a mock in it which presumably was marked by your teachers you don't have a qualification and there's nothing for universities to count.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, but surely they can still recognise that I did study 4 subjects at AS level? Most universities want you to have done 4 subjects in year 12, then 3 in year 13 - how about in instances where an individual only has 2 subjects that they actually gain an AS in? Will universities not recognise that they still studied for 4 that year? Hmm.
Okay, but surely they can still recognise that I did study 4 subjects at AS level? Most universities want you to have done 4 subjects in year 12, then 3 in year 13 - how about in instances where an individual only has 2 subjects that they actually gain an AS in? Will universities not recognise that they still studied for 4 that year? Hmm.

Did you only do your actual first year exams for 2 of your subjects?
Original post by Vikingninja
Did you only do your actual first year exams for 2 of your subjects?

No 3 of them. Therefore I was worried that it may seem as though I only studied for three subjects in year 12?

I'm aware the most suitable thing to do is drop a subject I got the AS in, but I find the linear one the hardest therefore I cannot.
No 3 of them. Therefore I was worried that it may seem as though I only studied for three subjects in year 12?

I'm aware the most suitable thing to do is drop a subject I got the AS in, but I find the linear one the hardest therefore I cannot.

Ok thanks that clarifies a lot. They will only recognise 3 subjects in this case since they only want to see your grades, a subject you didn't do the exam for would be considered a fail as you did not complete it. Also I'm pretty sure you have to drop that one since you cannot do A2 in a subject without passing the AS. Whilst you only have 3 subjects down with grades that's what you actually need for university, yes you will be at a disadvantage to someone with the same grades and a extra first year grade but the 3 subjects you carry on are the ones that matter and it won't be massively detrimental to a university offer (unless you apply to a really high requirement university or a course like medicine).
(edited 7 years ago)

I can't say all but many universities that used to have it have dropped the requirement for a fourth subject since the Linear A levels were introduced.
If there are any that still require a fourth subject you would not meet that criteria as you don't have a qualification. Your school could mention your mock result in your reference, I really don't know what the reaction would be and i recommend you contact your target universities to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest