The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
I am possibly going to be sacked on Monday for coming to work 15 min late on a regular basis at my office job for a small company in London. The issue I have is virtually everyone, including the directors, comes in late frequently, yet they have picked on me because I have only been there 18 months?

Imagine if you were the boss. You would want employees who were reliable and trustworthy.

You have no idea what time these directors etc spend on work stuff outside of the actual office. If they come in 15 minutes late or more every day it doesn't effect you or your hours of contract.
Original post by Dez
It really isn't.

It really is, because everyone else comes late, and most of them are not entitled to come late, and therefore it is long accepted trait of the company culture. Sacking someone in this instance is far too harsh a penalty, and it would be downgraded to a verbal warning or a written warning, if that.
Reply 22
It really is, because everyone else comes late, and most of them are not entitled to come late, and therefore it is long accepted trait of the company culture. Sacking someone in this instance is far too harsh a penalty, and it would be downgraded to a verbal warning or a written warning, if that.

It's highly unlikely that your line manager would sack someone without a more senior manager being aware, especially in a small company. Have you spoken to said senior manager at all to find out what they think? Because if not, I don't really see how you can be certain they'll side with you, some new employee over a manager who has been working with them for a lot longer.

Do you know everyone elses working hours?
Original post by Dez
It's highly unlikely that your line manager would sack someone without a more senior manager being aware, especially in a small company. Have you spoken to said senior manager at all to find out what they think? Because if not, I don't really see how you can be certain they'll side with you, some new employee over a manager who has been working with them for a lot longer.

The MD said you may as well sack us all then! He clearly did not approve of the request, so it looks like never coming to pass.
Hey, I totally understand you. I'm from Singapore and I'm late everyday at my job too. I also have this feeling I might be fired from it and to make matters worse, I am on probation period. I am only nearing 3 months into my job and am worried I will lose this job too. I am a receptionist which means I have to be even more on time and earlier as compared to others. I do feel *****y abt it and I can totally understand where you're coming from.

Latest

Trending

Trending