The Student Room Group

Buying a new car?

I currently have a 53 reg Volkswagen polo, which my nan gave to me when she bought herself a new car.

However, it's been written off due to some lovely person who decided to drive straight into the side of it.
Although having checked it out and nothing hazardous, there seems to be oil or similar where I park the car meaning a small leak somewhere.
I'll be going to university next year, I'm 19 and have been driving for over a year, and I'm thinking getting a new car can only be a good thing. However... I'm good at spending money on things I don't need!

Convince me to spend my money on something useful and responsible, rather than on stuff I'll look back on in a few years and think "...meh, did I really need that".

Thank you!
Reply 1
An oil leak is a very stupid reason to sell a car
Original post by uW0t
An oil leak is a very stupid reason to sell a car

If you read my OP I'm not selling it. Did I say that was the reason I was wanting a new car?
Original post by A-LJLB

Convince me to spend my money on something useful and responsible, rather than on stuff I'll look back on in a few years and think "...meh, did I really need that".

Thank you!

Spend your money on something useful! Not on a car that you don't need and will regret buying!

That's should do the job 😀
Since you already seem to know it is not a smart idea to buy another car.
Original post by A-LJLB
I currently have a 53 reg Volkswagen polo, which my nan gave to me when she bought herself a new car.

However, it's been written off due to some lovely person who decided to drive straight into the side of it.
Although having checked it out and nothing hazardous, there seems to be oil or similar where I park the car meaning a small leak somewhere.
I'll be going to university next year, I'm 19 and have been driving for over a year, and I'm thinking getting a new car can only be a good thing. However... I'm good at spending money on things I don't need!

Thank you!

Let me give you three quotes.

Two from you: "I'm thinking getting a new car" and "I'll be going to university next year"

One from The Independent: "This year’s university graduates are facing debt levels over a third of the cost of the average mortgage."

Problem solved?
Original post by Economistician
Spend your money on something useful! Not on a car that you don't need and will regret buying!

That's should do the job 😀
Since you already seem to know it is not a smart idea to buy another car.

When did I say that haha?

Original post by GaryIsASloth
Let me give you three quotes.

Two from you: "I'm thinking getting a new car" and "I'll be going to university next year"

One from The Independent: "This year’s university graduates are facing debt levels over a third of the cost of the average mortgage."

Problem solved?

Student debt isn't a problem for me, but thank you for your advice :h:

Quick Reply

Latest