The Student Room Group

Do you find really clever people attractive?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
What a very warped perception of the world you have. You speak only for yourself and other like-minded twits when you say that only looks matter. To whomever your post was addressed, just be yourself, and if anybody has any aversion to you (which is terribly unlikely) it will be their own profound loss. In any case, 'intelligence' coupled with tenacity and dedication (or being a nerd as this ******* puts it) is a very attractive trait indeed.

well i guess you hate knowing the truth just because your ugly
What a very warped perception of the world you have. You speak only for yourself and other like-minded twits when you say that only looks matter. To whomever your post was addressed, just be yourself, and if anybody has any aversion to you (which is terribly unlikely) it will be their own profound loss. In any case, 'intelligence' coupled with tenacity and dedication (or being a nerd as this ******* puts it) is a very attractive trait indeed.

and i didnt say only looks matter iditot
Yes and no
Yes because intelligence in itself is an attractive asset.
No because arguing with someone more intelligent than you is a n n o y i n g! lol
to look good, thats all boys care about(trust me I'm a boy i know)
only the nerdy/unpopluar boys dont care about looks because it wont make a difference to them

You're a 'boy' not a man or young man... that says enough about your mindset lol

A nice and short answer, right to the point lol
Yes all the waay! Intelligence is not only attractive but also shows me what kind of convos I can have with said person. However it depends on what kind of intelligence. If they are arrogant, snobby, pretentious, condescending or make me feel inferior, then its an instant turn off.
Original post by manoobsmatthew
I'll start off - yes

Not particularly in it's own right, I tend to find a good sense of humour and confidence is more attractive in a man than intelligence. Intelligent men are a lot more interesting to talk to but the funny guy makes you feel good.
Reply 68
Your phrasing suggests that funny guys and intelligent guys are mutually exclusive groups. :beard:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Your phrasing suggests that funny guys and intelligent guys are mutually exclusive groups. :beard:

Exactly what I was about to say lol

Yes, intelligence tends to be correlated with humour but in my personal experience the guys with C's in their GCSE's tend to be funnier than the guys with A's
Unless they're big headed about it and think they're better than everyone else then yeah definitely!
Oh really? Ive never experienced that before. The funnier people tend to be smarter. Unless you can't tell when someone is naturally smart versus someone trying to make you laugh on purpose.
Original post by DarkPlatinum
Oh really? Ive never experienced that before. The funnier people tend to be smarter. Unless you can't tell when someone is naturally smart versus someone trying to make you laugh on purpose.

Isn't all humour an attempt to make someone laugh on purpose? I'm not sure what you really mean by that. If you're referring to unintentional humour yes smarter people tend to come out on top but the people I tend to find the funniest at work are at best average academically. It isn't the maths undergrads that ever make me laugh, it's the BTEC and NVQ lads that do
Do you really compare their "level" of humour to their education status? :K:
Do you really compare their "level" of humour to their education status? :K:

Do you mean like there should be a positive correlation between the sophistication of their humour to their education or academic achievements?
No, Im just wondering why you would compare their level of humour to their academic background.
Reply 77
I guess. It is arguable that many of the guys with As are not that intelligent, I suppose. I'd say that on the whole the relative introversion of many intelligent people can often hide their wit. But I suppose a good sense of humour is nothing if unused, and, indeed, it is confidence that allows you to tap into it more readily. Those who are intelligent and gregarious are most certainly the funniest, in my experience. About half of the guys in the "gifted and talented" group, based on some weird IQ-esque tests, in my school were like this. Some of these under performed at GCSE. I don't think GCSEs are a good indicator for intelligence, especially for guys (well, it depends on the individual, but I mean on average I think guys are less likely to care and more likely to mature later).
No, Im just wondering why you would compare their level of humour to their academic background.

The conversation is about humour and intelligence, do keep up :tongue:

Generally speaking you can assume a maths undergraduate is more intelligent than an NVQ level 3 sport student, yes? I know that GCSE's, A-levels and degree's aren't a brilliant measure of intelligence but nobody is going to deny that you need more raw intelligence to study something like maths as opposed to something like sport are they?
I guess. It is arguable that many of the guys with As are not that intelligent, I suppose. I'd say that on the whole the relative introversion of many intelligent people can often hide their wit. But I suppose a good sense of humour is nothing if unused, and, indeed, it is confidence that allows you to tap into it more readily. Those who are intelligent and gregarious are most certainly the funniest, in my experience. About half of the guys in the "gifted and talented" group, based on some weird IQ-esque tests, in my school were like this. Some of these under performed at GCSE. I don't think GCSEs are a good indicator for intelligence, especially for guys (well, it depends on the individual, but I mean on average I think guys are less likely to care and more likely to mature later).

I guess the more intelligent types tend to be more introverted as you say and thus generally have less opportunities to show any innate funniness they have. I think personality type comes into play too, a serious introvert focused on his grades is going to be less open to social interaction than an easy going extroverted type. Confidence too would probably make it easier to be funnier as you would be less prone to embarrassment.

I'm not saying it's a hard and fast rule, I'm just saying in my experience, the funnier guys tend to be less academic and less serious about life in general.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending