The Student Room Group

Is it worth getting a priority AS module re-mark for Oxbridge application?

Sorry, another question on behalf of my daughter.

As posted elsewhere, she just got her AS results - 3 A's - although one of her two Law papers was lower than she was expecting - 72 UMS when normally Law is her best subject, and she wants to apply to do Law at Oxford / Cambridge (not sure which yet).

She has requested a photocopy of the script back but the deadline for requesting a "priority re-mark" is this Friday. As it's unlikely she'll have the photocopy before then she'd have to request (and pay for) this priority re-mark 'blind'.

I'm thinking that if she gets the normal re-mark service (not priority) she might not have any new mark back in time for the UCAS deadline for Oxbridge? However, this would mean that she could look at the script first, maybe get her Law Tutor to look at it, and see whether it's worth a re-mark.

So, is it worth getting the priority re-mark? Or only for Cambridge and not Oxford? Do Oxford even see AS Level module grades?

She's probably going to re-sit the paper next June in any case. (Note: in Wales the AS still counts 50% towards their A Level result)

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by MJ6987
Sorry, another question on behalf of my daughter.

As posted elsewhere, she just got her AS results - 3 A's - although one of her two Law papers was lower than she was expecting - 72 UMS when normally Law is her best subject, and she wants to apply to do Law at Oxford / Cambridge (not sure which yet).

She has requested a photocopy of the script back but the deadline for requesting a "priority re-mark" is this Friday. As it's unlikely she'll have the photocopy before then she'd have to request (and pay for) this priority re-mark 'blind'.

I'm thinking that if she gets the normal re-mark service (not priority) she might not have any new mark back in time for the UCAS deadline for Oxbridge? However, this would mean that she could look at the script first, maybe get her Law Tutor to look at it, and see whether it's worth a re-mark.

So, is it worth getting the priority re-mark? Or only for Cambridge and not Oxford? Do Oxford even see AS Level module grades?

She's probably going to re-sit the paper next June in any case. (Note: in Wales the AS still counts 50% towards their A Level result)

Hmm, what does her law teacher think? And you probably know this, but you would only get the cost back if it goes up a grade, not just improves the UMS. And there's always the risk if might go down...

Oh, and Oxford doesn't get UMS data at all unless her referee specifically mentions it, and it doesn't interest them anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
Hmm, what does her law teacher think? And you probably know this, but you would only get the cost back if it goes up a grade, not just improves the UMS. And there's always the risk if might go down...

Oh, and Oxford doesn't get UMS data at all unless her referee specifically mentions it, and it doesn't interest them anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. We probably won't be able to speak to her Law Tutor until she goes back in September however she always gets high marks in her Law essays / mocks and her Tutor said that she is one of the best students she's had in 15 years of teaching. So, I'm thinking either it's been marked wrong or she's misinterpreted (aka messed up :smile:) one of the questions, more likely the latter.

Thanks for the info about Oxford

Anyway, having looked into it a bit more, I think the priority re-marking service is only available for A Levels (not AS) I.e. People who have just missed their offer

Reply 3
Original post by MJ6987
Thanks. We probably won't be able to speak to her Law Tutor until she goes back in September however she always gets high marks in her Law essays / mocks and her Tutor said that she is one of the best students she's had in 15 years of teaching. So, I'm thinking either it's been marked wrong or she's misinterpreted (aka messed up :smile:) one of the questions, more likely the latter.

Thanks for the info about Oxford

Anyway, having looked into it a bit more, I think the priority re-marking service is only available for A Levels (not AS) I.e. People who have just missed their offer

Yes I think they changed the rules about remarks. I'd tag in one of our actual exam officers but again I can't on the app, and I can't remember their usernames anyway! Sorry... (I am old too :wink: )

Can you tag @carnationlilyrose ... she will know, or know the exams officers who do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Yes I think they changed the rules about remarks. I'd tag in one of our actual exam officers but again I can't on the app, and I can't remember their usernames anyway! Sorry... (I am old too :wink: )

Can you tag @carnationlilyrose ... she will know, or know the exams officers who do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

@Carnationlilyrose

Can you confirm whether priority re-marks are available to AS students? I think not

Thanks
Original post by MJ6987
@Carnationlilyrose

Can you confirm whether priority re-marks are available to AS students? I think not

Thanks

Since I left work, I have lost touch with what happens under the new A level system, but priority remarks have always been for those whose university places depend on them. A standard remark should certainly be back in plenty of time for the Oxbridge deadline, though.

@Compost @gdunne42 @Muttley79 will be able to confirm this.
Reply 6
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Since I left work, I have lost touch with what happens under the new A level system, but priority remarks have always been for those whose university places depend on them. A standard remark should certainly be back in plenty of time for the Oxbridge deadline, though.

Like magic. :smile:. (see my post predicting this!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Like magic. :smile:. (see my post predicting this!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really should get out more... However, waiting in for the plumbers to arrive to retile the bathroom tends to tie one to the computer, so I might as well help out.
Reply 8

Thanks very much for the input.

that remains what priority remarks are supposed to be for and exams officers really should not request them for anything else.
Non priority remarks are already coming back. at worst I've never seen one take more than 21 days
Original post by gdunne42
that remains what priority remarks are supposed to be for and exams officers really should not request them for anything else.
Non priority remarks are already coming back. at worst I've never seen one take more than 21 days

That's always been my experience, but since retirement *shrieks with unrestrained joy* things have moved on, so I thought I'd better check.
Reply 11
Non priority remarks are already coming back. at worst I've never seen one take more than 21 daysx

Thanks. Think we'll just wait for the photocopied script to come back and then decide whether a re-mark is worth it.
Original post by MJ6987
Thanks. Think we'll just wait for the photocopied script to come back and then decide whether a re-mark is worth it.

You're welcome. Make your decision as early as possible in the new term. The later you request it the more likely it seems to take a while, maybe because many of the senior markers are back teaching and so take longer to get to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You specifically can't have a priority re-mark if you have already requested a photocopy so it is not an option. However, shouldn't matter as the 3 main boards (AQA, Edexcel OCR) all seem to be turning standard re-marks round in a week or less at the moment.
Sorry - have been supporting a summer school so not around. Some 'ordinary' re-marks are coming back very quickly.
You're welcome. Make your decision as early as possible in the new term. The later you request it the more likely it seems to take a while, maybe because many of the senior markers are back teaching and so take longer to get to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Compost
You specifically can't have a priority re-mark if you have already requested a photocopy so it is not an option. However, shouldn't matter as the 3 main boards (AQA, Edexcel OCR) all seem to be turning standard re-marks round in a week or less at the moment.

Original post by Muttley79
Sorry - have been supporting a summer school so not around. Some 'ordinary' re-marks are coming back very quickly.

Thanks for coming along so quickly, guys, as always. I'm presenting you with an honorary (and imaginary, I'm afraid) TSR T shirt and mug for your services.:biggrin:
Reply 16
Thanks all

Quick Reply

Latest