The Student Room Group

More chance of getting into Oxford or Cambridge or the same (Law)?

Hi,I'm posting on behalf of my daughter, who doesn't really do forums!

She's just got her AS level results and can't decide whether to put Oxford or Cambridge on her UCAS form (nice choice to have I guess!). She wants to do Law.

She did an outreach weekend covering Law and other Humanities at Cambridge at Easter, and loved it, and then did a week's Uniq Law residential at Oxford and also loved that. Her slight preference is Oxford based on these but she would like to apply for whichever one she'd have more chance of getting into.

GCSE's - she got 5A* 4A and 1B

However (i) her application will have a good chance of being "flagged" for contextual data as these were the best results at her school where not many go onto Oxbridge and we live in a bit of a rubbish postcode and (ii) there were some extenuating circumstances that we will ask her college reference to put down - basically she has Aspergers, ADHD and Depression / Anxiety which caused her a lot of problems in secondary education, also the school told her not to apply for extra time for her GCSEs as "you won't get that at A Level or Uni" which turned out to be wrong, and she does now get extra time for her A Levels!

AS - she got 3 A's (in Wales these still count 50% towards her overall A Levels):

Government and Politics UMS 98 + 92 = 190/200

Geography UMS 95 + 82 = 177/200

Law UMS 94 + 72 = 166/200

She wants to resit the 72 in Law (also asked for her marked script back) as she normally does much better in that subject (it's actually been her best one in class essays, mocks,etc) - she said there was a "funny question" which she thinks she may have messed up. Also, she ran out of time on revision so only covered certain topics meaning that she had to do the funny question!

The main differences in the two Unis in terms of admissions as far as we can make out so far are:

Oxford seem to look more at GCSEs (we were told in the Open Day that they no longer look at AS results as not all schools now declare them)

Cambridge do still look at AS results where declared

Oxford uses the LNAT test which is used as part of the decision whether to interview

Cambridge has their own Cambridge Law Test however this is done at Interview so not used to sift people out beforehand

Cambridge interview more people (80% of applicants) whereas Oxford sift more people out pre-interview

Finally, Cambridge's standard offer for Law is A*AA whereas Oxford's is AAA

So, does anyone think she's more likely to get into one over the other based on the above, or are both equally likely / unlikely?

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MJ6987

She's just got her AS level results and can't decide whether to put Oxford or Cambridge on her UCAS form (nice choice to have I guess!). She wants to do Law.

She did an outreach weekend covering Law and other Humanities at Cambridge at Easter, and loved it, and then did a week's Uniq Law residential at Oxford and also loved that. Her slight preference is Oxford based on these but she would like to apply for whichever one she'd have more chance of getting into.

However (i) her application will have a good chance of being "flagged" for contextual data as these were the best results at her school where not many go onto Oxbridge and we live in a bit of a rubbish postcode and (ii) there were some extenuating circumstances that we will ask her college reference to put down - basically she has Aspergers, ADHD and Depression / Anxiety which caused her a lot of problems in secondary education, also the school told her not to apply for extra time for her GCSEs as "you won't get that at A Level or Uni" which turned out to be wrong, and she does now get extra time for her A Levels!

AS - she got 3 A's (in Wales these still count 50% towards her overall A Levels):

She wants to resit the 72 in Law (also asked for her marked script back) as she normally does much better in that subject (it's actually been her best one in class essays, mocks,etc) - she said there was a "funny question" which she thinks she may have messed up. Also, she ran out of time on revision so only covered certain topics meaning that she had to do the funny question!

The main differences in the two Unis in terms of admissions as far as we can make out so far are:

Oxford seem to look more at GCSEs (we were told in the Open Day that they no longer look at AS results as not all schools now declare them)

Oxford uses the LNAT test which is used as part of the decision whether to interview

Cambridge has their own Cambridge Law Test however this is done at Interview so not used to sift people out beforehand

Cambridge interview more people (80% of applicants) whereas Oxford sift more people out pre-interview

So, does anyone think she's more likely to get into one over the other based on the above, or are both equally likely / unlikely?

Which course does she prefer? I wouldn't recommend trying to second guess either university's admissions decision, let alone both! Both universities are looking for very similar students using very similar measures - this is why you can only apply to one of Oxford or Cambridge.
Both are equally likely. Visit both cities - the much more important choice is where she would be happier living for three years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Or better yet, apply for a marginally less competitive course which she might actually ENJOY doing. No one truly enjoys a law degree, but History, Philosophy or Theology? Yes, for sure they do. Then, having got in to Oxbridge (slightly less competitive course remember), you can do a one year law conversion course (the GDL) and hey presto she's well rounded, happy and starting a career at a Magic Circle law firm:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJ6987

Given what you've said about her health, a better question might be which course structure would she find less pressurising/less stressful? I do not know either course well enough to help you answer this but it's worth comparing and contrasting the two course structures and seeing which she has a preference for.

You may also wish to contact the disability offices of both to ask what provisions (if any) would be likely to be offered to your daughter, regarding examinations, etc. Law at either will be a stressful undertaking and she'll want the best support/provisions possible :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJ6987

It's worth noting that it's actually 40% AS and 60% A2(for reformed subjects. Others vary).

On to the matter at hand, I'd say she'd probably have a better shot at Cambridge, as there are far less applicants and their consideration of GCSEs are lower than Oxford's.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
It's worth noting that it's actually 40% AS and 60% A2(for reformed subjects. Others vary).

On to the matter at hand, I'd say she'd probably have a better shot at Cambridge, as there are far less applicants and their consideration of GCSEs are lower than Oxford's.

I'm pretty sure it's 50% - England may be different to Wales now.

According to their statistics, Oxford had around 1,300 applications for Law (15% acceptance rate) and Cambridge had just over 1,000 applications (20% acceptance rate).
Original post by MJ6987

According to their statistics, Oxford had around 1,300 applications for Law (15% acceptance rate) and Cambridge had just over 1,000 applications (20% acceptance rate).

My bad, geography for WJEC will be reformed this year, where it will be 40:60.

Yes, Cambridge is less competitive, that's why I would suggest going for it. It may also be worth notifying the universities that Welsh AS levels still contribute to A2, as all of them having seemingly forgot about Wales. There is no mention of Welsh AS levels anywhere...

Hi, I've seen this somewhere, but, now I can't find the link for the weightage. Could you sent me the source which has this 40-60 break up, please?
Original post by fandom-queen
Hi, I've seen this somewhere, but, now I can't find the link for the weightage. Could you sent me the source which has this 40-60 break up, please?

Look in the specifications of the subjects that concern you.

For sciences, history, English lit, economics, it's 40:60 now. All the others that aren't reformed vary.
Look in the specifications of the subjects that concern you.

For sciences, history, English lit, economics, it's 40:60 now. All the others that aren't reformed vary.

Yeah, I'm doing the sciences and maths.
Reply 11
Original post by MJ6987

Hi, this new A Levels and uni's looking/not looking at AS is confusing to me but here's my view:

In my opinion her UMS scores are good but not that impressive, especially when you consider 2 of her A Levels are not in the 'strongest' bracket. Having said that, people have been interviewed with less. Additionally, because of her circumstances she has a good chance of being interviewed at Cam.

As others have mentioned, your daughter suffers/has suffered from depression/anxiety. If you think they will magically disappear because she has a place to read law from Oxbridge, you are mistaken. Put more focus on where she will be able to cope with the stresses of a complex and heavy workload. They are both fantastic places to read law.

Original post by MJ6987

X receiving more applications than Y, does not mean Y is less competitive/easier to get into! Perhaps more people apply to Ox because they have lower UMS scores in their AS exams & because Ox have lower entry requirements for A2? Who knows ey...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MJ6987

Looking at the statistics, Cambridge's acceptance rate is closer to 25%. They have a larger cohort, around 250 vs. Oxford around 180.
Reply 13
Original post by Coreling
Looking at the statistics, Cambridge's acceptance rate is closer to 25%. They have a larger cohort, around 250 vs. Oxford around 180.

Nope. I think you are looking at offers not acceptances.

Cambridge 2015 data: 1015 applicants, 208 acceptances = 20.5% acceptance rate.

Attachment not found

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Nope. I think you are looking at offers not acceptances.

Cambridge 2015 data: 1015 applicants, 208 acceptances = 20.5% acceptance rate.

Attachment not found

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh yes, thanks for the correction.
Original post by fandom-queen
Yeah, I'm doing the sciences and maths.

Sciences is 40:60
Maths is 50:50

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending