The Student Room Group

What do you think about this?

So basically my mate is having her 18th birthday soon and shes inviting around 9 or 10 of us. She wants us to all go in a limo to a restaurant that is about 15 minutes away. The problem is that her parents cannot contribute any money as they are stuggling financially as they are paying off debt from upgrading their family car so she wants us to fork in some money to fund the party. Per person, the limo costs about 16 quid, the present will be around 12 quid (a guess), she has requested that I should contribute 15 quid towards the cake, and on top of that, the meal at the restaurant would probably cost around 15 quid. So in total I am spending almost 60 pounds, just to celebrate my friend's birthday :/
I get that its her 18th and she wants it to be special, but I feel as if she is being a little inconsiderate. I have known her for quite a while and even though we are relatively close, I don't feel that our friendship is that deep (hope that makes sense). What do you think?
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Bump
Original post by Anonymous
Bump

All these anonymous people are your parents.
Don't do it. You shouldn't be spending money on someones elses birthday. Besides, 15 minutes away in a limo? Thats extravagant.
ok well you have present, cake, limo and meal... £60 is a lot to ask people to pay... £150 on a cake seems really excessive and if you're paying towards the limo etc then perhaps you don't need to buy a gift too?

I would explain to her that you just don't have the money but would like to celebrate her birthday with her if you can, perhaps offer to buy your meal and pay your share of the limo £30 total but say that the limo will be your gift to her and you can't afford that much for the cake but hopefully she can get a nice one with less

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending