The Student Room Group

2016 A-level Remarks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Windies
Sent an email to Edexcel regarding their change to turning remarks into merely just "reviews" and only changing marks if a "clear error has been made by the original marker" - all of which implies that examiners can make errors and mistakes at the expense of student grades as long as those errors aren't "clear" enough.

They have officially been called 'reviews of marking' not remarks for as long as I can remember. The change in emphasis has come from Ofqual and is common to all the domestic exam boards.
Original post by RiyaAjani
Has anyone sent in their papers for remarking with the new system? if yes, how did your grades come back? Let me know!

I'm sure you can retake in 2017 as the old a-level format even though there's a new a-level system in place?
Original post by Compost
It's only possible after you've first tried a re-mark.
Candidates cannot appeal, it has to be done by the head of centre so you would have to persuade your head that your argument is worth the money.

Thanks! Let's hope it actually works, losing my trust in this corrupt system now XD
My second year in a row being 1 UMS Mark of an A* in maths now. Completely lost hope in the remark system. It is as if they are just purposely not giving me an A* now :/
****ing AQA !!
Original post by Maths is Life
What did you get in C4? 92UMS?
C3?

C4 - 92 and C3 -72 lolol ( messed up on easy questions )
Original post by asimahrizvi
My second year in a row being 1 UMS Mark of an A* in maths now. Completely lost hope in the remark system. It is as if they are just purposely not giving me an A* now :/
****ing AQA !!

Ah I see have you been retaking to try and get the A* as in you're at uni now / on a gap year . I'm gonna try and retake to get the A* next year ... Hope Edexcel are more generous . You can always try again next year and the year after that !! You'll get that A* in the end !!!
Has anyone received any remarks from AQA yet, if so how have they turned out?
Original post by elmosandy
I'm sure you can retake in 2017 as the old a-level format even though there's a new a-level system in place?

Yeah I know at least that OCR is still supporting old spec
Do teachers have the markschemes for our exams yet?
Original post by postexamtalk
Do teachers have the markschemes for our exams yet?

AQA exams mark scheme
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B-YN4_YfkBkVcFNPVjJ3OHVmYUE

Thank you for your reply. I'm guessing as those are released, teachers would have access to OCR ones. :smile:
Sent off OCR C3 and C4, need 5 more UMS for an A* (already have an A* in further though lol). Not expecting them to change tbh as from unofficial mark schemes I was putting myself right on the A* boundary and maybe method marks were stricter than I assumed, but last year I went up 9 UMS between two maths papers so who knows, it's possible.

I could rant about the exams system for days but I will restrain myself. Good luck anyone who's waiting!
My English lit remark was successful and have gone up to an A* from a B (up 2 marks) in that exam!!!! - now met my offer at Durham so fingers crossed they still have a place for me :s
Original post by itsConnor_
My English lit remark was successful and have gone up to an A* from a B (up 2 marks) in that exam!!!! - now met my offer at Durham so fingers crossed they still have a place for me :s

That is amazing! Congrats!!! I am sure they will have a place for you!!! Well done!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey Connor,

Which exam board was this and you mean 20 marks or 2? :redface:

congrats! But 2 marks took you all the way past an A? do you mean 12?
Original post by Mingdu Li
That is amazing! Congrats!!! I am sure they will have a place for you!!! Well done!!!Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much, really hoping I can still get in (they told me on results they have already met their quota tho..). Best of luck to you with the remark, your results are absolutely phenomenal!!! :smile:

Original post by Windies
Hey Connor,

Which exam board was this and you mean 20 marks or 2? :redface:

OCR Drama & Poetry Pre-1800 exam (60% of the A2). Due to getting full marks in the coursework, I needed 100/120 ums in the exam to get an A*.

Before I had 95/120 ums which was a B (but 96 was the A..). 95/120 is 54/60 marks and I went up to 102 which is 56/60 marks I think.
Original post by RiyaAjani
congrats! But 2 marks took you all the way past an A? do you mean 12?

(edited 7 years ago)
Not sure whether to get a remark as I already met my uni place.
Got an A overall in geography and was predicted A* but in the A2 papers was 1 mark off the A* but in the second paper (4B) I somehow got an E which is equivalent to 17/60 marks. I was so confused when I saw this because all the questions range from 8-15 marks so I must have done really really terrible to only get 17 in total.
I felt it even went well so no idea where the E came from I feel it was unfairly marked. But is there any point as may not go up a grade still overall
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ktz98
Biology went up from a B to an A! I just called Durham and I'll probably be put on a waiting list for my course ugh 😭

In the same position for chemistry at Durham, good luck :smile:
Original post by tcameron
Not sure whether to get a remark as I already met my uni place.
Got an A overall in geography and was predicted A* but in the A2 papers was 1 mark off the A* but in the second paper (4B) I somehow got an E which is equivalent to 17/60 marks. I was so confused when I saw this because all the questions range from 8-15 marks so I must have done really really terrible to only get 17 in total.
I felt it even went well so no idea where the E came from I feel it was unfairly marked. But is there any point as may not go up a grade still overall

same! law papers have 4 essays each out of 25, and overall i got 40/100 (E). I can't imagine getting 10/25 when i wrote over 2 pages worth of facts and cases. What board are you under? Also, personally i feel that if you're already got your uni place - just try and forget about it. Don't waste that money if you don't really need to. This is just a personal opinion, if you feel like you deserve the right to that A*, go for it! Congrats on the uni placement :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest