The Student Room Group

As grades in relation to Uni offers

Delete
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

With BBC predictions you're wasting your time. You're better off re-sitting year 12/ re-sitting certain modules if your sixth form will then increase your predictions to those uni's entry requirements.
The problem is persuading your teachers to predict you AAA. Otherwise they will reject you immediately. I don't know much about Kings but Durham might be very difficult.
Original post by ChrisP97
With BBC predictions you're wasting your time. You're better off re-sitting year 12/ re-sitting certain modules if your sixth form will then increase your predictions to those uni's entry requirements.

I can't resit these as they are linear which means that the first year does not go towards the second year and the second year results are all that count. By this i mean that we don't even see what UMS points we got because they don't count. The only one this doesn't apply to is politics which i already have an A in.
Original post by Hannahdellab
I can't resit these as they are linear which means that the first year does not go towards the second year and the second year results are all that count. By this i mean that we don't even see what UMS points we got because they don't count. The only one this doesn't apply to is politics which i already have an A in.

Then get A's and A*s next year, take a gap year then apply to uni. It will be difficult for you to get offers from those type of Unis this year.
Original post by Kawaii289
Then get A's and A*s next year, take a gap year then apply to uni. It will be difficult for you to get offers from those type of Unis this year.

So there is not even a point in applying? Because i know a friend that said in her AS levels she got grades like ABDE and got an offer from Durham.

I just am not sure if its possible now because of the new linear system.
It depends also on your GCSE's. Did she get many A*s? She might have been very lucky.
If you want to, you can, but you won't get many offers or none at all. + what subjects did she do and her course at durham?
If you don't think you can get AAA next year, I suggest you resit. I know many people who do and they ended up with AAAA at As.
It depends also on your GCSE's. Did she get many A*s? She might have been very lucky.
If you want to, you can, but you won't get many offers or none at all. + what subjects did she do and her course at durham?

I can't remember what subjects she did but i know that she applied for Psychology. Also, does it help that I am doing an EPQ?
Since this years grades don't count towards your overall grade it'd be pretty pointless to retake the year, unless you feel you didn't understand the material well enough to progress. Do you think you know where you went wrong in the exams though?
I'd say you haven't got much to lose in applying this year because you never know. Maybe apply for a few uni's that are a bit of a stretch (So Durham and Kings) and then add some safer options in there as well. If Durham/kings reject you, but you get the grades at the end of the year you can go through adjustment and they might still give you a place, if not you could take a gap year and apply again. if you end up not getting the grades at the end of the year it means you've still got your safer options.
I can't remember what subjects she did but i know that she applied for Psychology. Also, does it help that I am doing an EPQ?

Personally if I were you I would concentrate on making those grades better.
An EPQ is great if you get a good grade, otherwise no. I believe many Unis look at it, but won't use it as a deciding factor on who should get a offer. Maybe doing a nuffield placement next summer is also a good option. I'm writing this right now in my placement xD .
Original post by emilythesquid
Since this years grades don't count towards your overall grade it'd be pretty pointless to retake the year, unless you feel you didn't understand the material well enough to progress. Do you think you know where you went wrong in the exams though?
I'd say you haven't got much to lose in applying this year because you never know. Maybe apply for a few uni's that are a bit of a stretch (So Durham and Kings) and then add some safer options in there as well. If Durham/kings reject you, but you get the grades at the end of the year you can go through adjustment and they might still give you a place, if not you could take a gap year and apply again. if you end up not getting the grades at the end of the year it means you've still got your safer options.

Thanks, this is of much help! Yes I definitely know where i went wrong in the exams! When you say apply for some safer options which kind of entry grades do you think i should be looking at in the unis?
Personally if I were you I would concentrate on making those grades better.
An EPQ is great if you get a good grade, otherwise no. I believe many Unis look at it, but won't use it as a deciding factor on who should get a offer. Maybe doing a nuffield placement next summer is also a good option. I'm writing this right now in my placement xD .

I'm already half way through my EPQ essay! Are you currently doing A levels?
Thanks, this is of much help! Yes I definitely know where i went wrong in the exams! When you say apply for some safer options which kind of entry grades do you think i should be looking at in the unis?

around your predicted grades
Original post by ChrisP97

Surely you would be predicted ABB not BBC if you were dropping Chemistry? So applying around the ABB mark should be safe. Make sure you still research your safer option uni's to make sure you like them though.
Also, depending on how strict your college is with its policy, if you can prove to your teachers early on that you're capable of achieving high grades (by getting good grades on the tests etc at the beginning of term) they may be more willing to boost up your predictions if you speak to them privately about it, again it's worth a shot :smile:
Yeah, I should be predicted A* BB because the A I have is a very high one in politics. My friend went to our college the other yesterday and our teacher said there is the potential to be predicted 2 grades higher
OP i have the same problem although my grades do carry on to next year, currently i have grades:
Politics: B (getting remarked as it is literally .25% of an A)
Business: B (likewise^)
History: A
ICT: E

My predicted grades will be AAAD, is there any point in me applying to Cambridge?
Original post by connormc199
OP i have the same problem although my grades do carry on to next year, currently i have grades:

My predicted grades will be AAAD, is there any point in me applying to Cambridge?

I suppose if the course you want to do matches your predicted grades there's always a chance, just make sure your personal statement is epic 😄
Original post by connormc199

no, all Cambridge courses require A*AA/A*A*A predictions.
Original post by OGFakiie
no, all Cambridge courses require A*AA/A*A*A predictions.

sorry them predicted grades are incorrect, as it stands my predicted grades are currently: A*AAD
after remarks i hope that will rise to A*A*A*D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending