The Student Room Group
Or perhaps foreign aid or something similar? We can cut our foreign aid budget and spend it on other things like education and the NHS. And the amount raised from the lottery (which will always vary) in foreign aid.

I just feel with the NHS we need constant secure funding, instead of being uncertain how much extra is being funded each year.
How long is that over though, if it's the lifetime of the modern national lottery it really is not much money at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reformed
As of July 2016 - reports show that nearly 6 billion of lottery funds have gone to 'sports' no doubt helpful to the collection of olympic medals, over 5 billion on 'arts' and over 7 billion on 'heritage'

Should more (perhaps half of all funds) go directly toward funding of the NHS?

or other areas you may suggest

No, its the role of government to fund those areas and not leech off charitable causes.

[video]https://youtu.be/yiUdg9hegDk[/video]
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
No, its the role of government to fund those areas and not leech off charitable causes.

clearly there isnt enough money in government reserves to make a meaningful difference needed in the nhs. it could be seen as a charitable cause
I feel like it's worth putting certain things into perspective here:

UK sport funding per year that comes from the National Lottery:
£543 million

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/our-work/investing-in-sport/how-uk-sport-funding-works

National Lottery money broken down:
From total ticket sales of £7,595 million in the year ending 31 March 2016:
£1,901 million was raised for National Lottery projects.
£4,198 million was paid to players in prizes. £911 million went to the Government in Lottery Duty.
£333 million was earned by retailers in commission.

https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/life-changing/where-the-money-goes

Estimated UK Public Spending for 2017:
Foreign Aid Budget - 12+ billion
Defence - 45.6 billion
Education - 85.2 billion
Welfare - 113.1 billion
Health Care - 142.7 billion
Pensions - 156.9 billion

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/government_expenditure.html

Looking at those figures, the government already gets £911 million from the National Lottery in tax. If you completely cut the projects out then it'd only gain an £1,901 million which, when you look at how much the NHS budget already is, won't make a difference.
If anything, as I've said in a different thread, the success of Team GB could encourage people to take up sport which could even help the NHS out in the long run if it stops obesity from rising so quickly.

If you really want to add a noticeable amount to the NHS budget then get rid of the Foreign Aid Budget.

(PS - edited - there was a difference between US & UK billions. Apparently we've started using the American system which means a billion is a thousand million as opposed to a million million as it was historically)
(edited 7 years ago)
clearly there isnt enough money in government reserves to make a meaningful difference needed in the nhs. it could be seen as a charitable cause

Budget for NHS in 2015 £116.4 billion.

Total good causes £1.9 billion

Health, education, environment and charitable causes 40%

Sport 20%

Arts 20%

Heritage 20%

So what are you going to scrap? Charity grants?

The NHS is not a charitable cause its a goverbment institution and its their responsibiliyu to deal with pinlic health, thats why its called the National Health Service. If givernment wnat more money they raise taxes or borrow. The NHS is a bottomless consumer of resources. There is no reason to make the NHS reliant on lottery funding, which would make it unstable.
As of July 2016 - reports show that nearly 6 billion of lottery funds have gone to 'sports' no doubt helpful to the collection of olympic medals, over 5 billion on 'arts' and over 7 billion on 'heritage'

I can't be sure exactly what the Government spends the money on, but a significant portion of the price of a lottery ticket goes to the Government in tax already. However you look at it, some will surely be spent on things like the NHS.

I think for every pound that goes to the Government, about £2 goes to the good causes, some of which you list.

The NHS is a bottomless pit. You can poor money into it and you still simple see demand for treatment go up. It is a bit like a pay rise. You never really feel the benefit directly.

I think Lottery funding is wonderful. It is a kind of rainy day fund to buy the nice things in life that make the world a slightly better place. From local community groups and organisations, to sports folks that lift the public spirit to arts people who bring joy and emotion through their performances. If you want to live in a place that takes life far too seriously and spends almost no money on the finer things in life, you could always move to the Middle East.
Original post by 999tigger

I don't think you understand the lottery if you think it is charitable or not for the government, the whole point of lotteries is to tax idiots.
I find it so utterly frustrating when so much of it is going to support sports and Olympians I.e one athlete of that support, for what? So they can have their hobby state funded and for some temporary pride when we win gold in the okympics and beat China. Sorry but there are more important things to spend that money on
Original post by RK
I can't be sure exactly what the Government spends the money on, but a significant portion of the price of a lottery ticket goes to the Government in tax already. However you look at it, some will surely be spent on things like the NHS.

I think for every pound that goes to the Government, about £2 goes to the good causes, some of which you list.

total ticket sales of £7,595 million in the year ending 31 March 2016:

£1,901 million was raised for National Lottery projects

£4,198 million was paid to players in prizes

£911 million went to the Government in Lottery Duty

£333 million was earned by retailers in commission

Thats about 12% in tax.

the problem is with the OP is its a bit nisleading to aggregate 22 years worth of ticket sales to make the amounts look more substantial. If hes going to do that, then he should compare it with 22 years worth of funding for the NHS to keep it in proportion.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I find it so utterly frustrating when so much of it is going to support sports and Olympians I.e one athlete of that support, for what? So they can have their hobby state funded and for some temporary pride when we win gold in the okympics and beat China. Sorry but there are more important things to spend that money on

I didn't realise that I was the state, and its only a few thousand people were funding, a few hundred of whom act as inspirations to young people, or should they chose to use the money to fund "free" ready meals in schools?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pinkberry_y

Dont play the lottery then, its not compulsory.

I think its great we are doing well and its good for the nation.

Much better than being underfunded and us being humiliated. They provide good role models and spots is good for the nation.
Reply 14
Original post by ByEeek
The NHS is a bottomless pit. You can poor money into it and you still simple see demand for treatment go up. It is a bit like a pay rise. You never really feel the benefit directly.

I think Lottery funding is wonderful. It is a kind of rainy day fund to buy the nice things in life that make the world a slightly better place. From local community groups and organisations, to sports folks that lift the public spirit to arts people who bring joy and emotion through their performances. If you want to live in a place that takes life far too seriously and spends almost no money on the finer things in life, you could always move to the Middle East.

bottomless pitt or not, spending billions on saving and improving lives seems are more civilised than billions on vanity projects like the acquisition of shiny medals that noone will remember in a years time
bottomless pitt or not, spending billions on saving and improving lives seems are more civilised than billions on vanity projects like the acquisition of shiny medals that noone will remember in a years time

You do realise there is an NHS lottery you cna play or make a direct donation if it boters you that much.

Excellence in sport is good for the nation, they are great role models, its also good for antional Morale and its important we inspure people to have aspirations as well as become more physically active. That in itself means healthier people and less need to call on the NHS or are you against physical activity and sport in general?
Original post by Mathemagicien
There is a difference between having money and choosing not to spend it, and not having any money to spend.

Agreed. The government have money they could spend on the NHS, but they choose to spend it on things like Trident or subsidising private companies / money launderers through the Right to Buy Scheme. The Olympics cost around £75 million a year which in NHS terms is about 8 hours worth.
Reply 17

You're perhaps improving lives, but at what point do we say enough is enough? The "bottomless pit" argument is a fair one.

I don't think you understand the lottery if you think it is charitable or not for the government, the whole point of lotteries is to tax idiots.

Latest

Trending

Trending