The Student Room Group

Questioning my ability

Hi so basically i've just received my A level results last week and i got A*A*A in maths, further maths and physics respectively.

I'm going on to study mathematics at Durham University but i've become abit apprehensive about the whole situation. After reading through several threads there seems to be alot of posts saying how degree level mathematics is incomparable to A level and so you shouldn't use it as an indicator for how successful you will be at uni. Instead STEP being a much more accurate representation. I have never done STEP, MAT or the AEA and so when i glanced at a STEP paper i was taken back as to how different it is to anything i've seen before and now i'm worried that i'm not that naturally gifted in maths but instead just have a good memory. Because at the end of the day we all know thats what A-level maths boils down to, that, and exam technique.

So basically i'm looking to see if anyone was/is in a similar position to me before heading off to uni and can tell me how things went for them?Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by AthsM
Hi so basically i've just received my A level results last week and i got A*A*A in maths, further maths and physics respectively.

I'm going on to study mathematics at Durham University but i've become abit apprehensive about the whole situation. After reading through several threads there seems to be alot of posts saying how degree level mathematics is incomparable to A level and so you shouldn't use it as an indicator for how successful you will be at uni. Instead STEP being a much more accurate representation. I have never done STEP, MAT or the AEA and so when i glanced at a STEP paper i was taken back as to how different it is to anything i've seen before and now i'm worried that i'm not that naturally gifted in maths but instead just have a good memory. Because at the end of the day we all know thats what A-level maths boils down to, that, and exam technique.

So basically i'm looking to see if anyone was/is in a similar position to me before heading off to uni and can tell me how things went for them?Thanks

I think the threads you've read are more applicable to Oxbridge. Someone who can get A* A* at A Level doesn't just need a good memory. They need to be highly competent at learning and understanding new mathematical topics and techniques.

Yes Uni Maths is very different to A level but it's also very different to STEP.

You'll be fine. And probably better prepared than the majority of your fellow students.
Original post by notnek
I think the threads you've read are more applicable to Oxbridge. Someone who can get A* A* at A Level doesn't just need a good memory. They need to be highly competent at learning and understanding new mathematical topics and techniques.

Yes Uni Maths is very different to A level but it's also very different to STEP.

You'll be fine. And probably better prepared than the majority of your fellow students.

Seconded. Try not to worry OP!
Reply 3
Thanks to both of you! I suppose I just can't tell until i start anyway but there's no point worrying about it now.
Reply 4
The main difference is there's more of it to learn, it's sometimes slightly weirder, and you're surrounded by like-minded people. So don't worry. Just work hard and try to enjoy being taught some very interesting stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest